• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute worries

KFor7007

Morning everyone
I start on my pilgrimage by walking to my local railway station in about 3 hours, train to London, then early Eurostar tomorrow..Paris, Bayonne, SJPdP tomorrow night.

I had a crisis of confidence last night about Day 1. Some forum members talk about the toughness of the day. As time isn't a massive issue for me, I decided to see whether I could get a bed in the Refuge at Orrison for Wednesday. Late notice, I know, but that's me..

Unfortunately, after I managed to get through this morning, my schoolboy French was just about good enough to work out that Orrison is full for that evening.

My question is this: if I go instead by the Valcarlos route, is it possible that the Albergue there might also be full? That would presumably mean I had no choice but to push on to Roncesvalles.
Sorry if this late question is a little angst-ridden. I was full of confidence a few days ago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good morning Kfor7007,
deep breaths pilgrim, deep breaths.

I had a full scale panic attack standing on the Eurostar platform; had to use my inhaler and stick my head between my knees. I also had a wonderful camino.

If you think of the numbers starting out each day, particularly in peak season, most people who follow the Route Napoleon do not stop at Orrison. Subject to the weather and the advice of the Pilgrim Office it is perfectly doable. Just remember, start early, go slowly, stay hydrated, be nice to yourself.

If you elect for Valcarlos the albergue has 24 beds and there is additional accommodation in the village. there are also hotels in Arneguy 3k short of Valcarlos. The pilgrim office can advise.

Now, take a few more deep breaths, pick up your pack and commence your camino.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can do it! You have all day, so take a breath whenever needed. I became pretty nervous/worried as I left town and started the ascent IMMEDIATELY - but a half hour in and I knew it would be hard but I could do it.

And when you start wishing you were headed downhill, just remind yourself that that's worse. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keith.
Consider booking TWO nights in SJPP.
The first day walk UP to Orisson, then either walk or taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, taxi UP to Orisson and continue.
Anyone in town will have Carolyn's number (the taxi lady).
It's worth the cost and she charges per taxi, not per person, so if you can find a few other pilgrims to share the cost on the way down, it isn't bad.
Also, even if you have to pay for an entire taxi, it is worth it not to ruin yourself at the beginning of your Camino.

This is what I do each year.
I see many broken pilgrims each year who have injured themselves forcing that first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles.
Yes, many do make it, but if you're unsure, take it in two days.
It's not worth hurting yourself over and the stage from Roncesvalles to Zubiri is especially steep and slippery and difficult on knees that are already stressed.
Go slow. Don't do more than you feel makes sense.

That's a very interesting idea, Annie, and one that hadn't occurred to me.
Would it be feasible to walk out to Orrison, gauge how I feel about continuing, then make my decision? Or would you advise I book both nights first

Hi KFor-

I think that is the best idea- to walk to Orrison and gauge how you feel. Stop there for a coffee (or I always found that a glass of vino helped convince me to carry on ;) ) and then be refreshed to continue on or phone for the taxi service to go back to SJPP.

I feel, especially lately for some reason, that there has been a lot of talk about how difficult and scary that first day is. I remember being so freaked out about it the night before and then it was actually much easier than I was anticipating. Not that is EASY, but you know, it was not as horrible as i wa ready for. As long as you start early and go slow, I think you will be fine. Regardless, have an amazing Camino!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Morning everyone
I start on my pilgrimage by walking to my local railway station in about 3 hours, train to London, then early Eurostar tomorrow..Paris, Bayonne, SJPdP tomorrow night.

I had a crisis of confidence last night about Day 1. Some forum members talk about the toughness of the day. As time isn't a massive issue for me, I decided to see whether I could get a bed in the Refuge at Orrison for Wednesday. Late notice, I know, but that's me..

Unfortunately, after I managed to get through this morning, my schoolboy French was just about good enough to work out that Orrison is full for that evening.

My question is this: if I go instead by the Valcarlos route, is it possible that the Albergue there might also be full? That would presumably mean I had no choice but to push on to Roncesvalles.
Sorry if this late question is a little angst-ridden. I was full of confidence a few days ago.
Welcome to the club! You will be fine no matter which way you go. Had I (58 yr old female that was not a long time hiker) known a bit more: I would have considered Valcarlos because it turns out that the stress of uphill walking with a pack lead to tendonitis in both Achilles and feet for me. This does not necessary make itself known until much further on the way (like 6 - 7 days in my case). I was so grateful to just make it to Orisson and then Roncesvalles the next day.
On the other hand (not having read every bit of this thread) you may be in much better shape than me, trained better, have more hiking experience, and have had practice hikes with elevation, etc.
Only you can truly judge what kind of shape you are in. The advice to keep your pack weight down is really important IMHO.
Know that no matter what people will help you if you ask. There are many wonderful people on the camino, in the towns, etc. There is no shame in taking a taxi, bus, whatever, if the need arises. Many people will have a harder/easier time than you and YOU NEED TO GO AT YOUR OWN PACE. It will all work out in the end as it did for me. I an so grateful for the CF and my time there. It will always be with me.
Good luck and have faith in yourself and others.
Stefania

Thanks for all your advice. I'm in my hotel room in SJPdP at the moment, writing this. The town is full of pilgrims today, and rooms are scarce. I have decided to go for the slow start: Orrison tomorrow, then return here. In two days time, I'll taxi to Orrison to resume where I left off.
I might regret it. I might get to Orrison tomorrow and feel I could/should have pressed on, but I'm happy I've made my decision. By the way, Stephania - I'm older than you. :)

Good decision - the Camino has been here for more than a thousand years and will still be here tomorrow or the day after and despite any amount of training that first real day with your slightly heavier than planned pack is the real test. Who cares if it takes 2 or 3 or 4 days to get to Roncesvalles even if you are on a deadline. Its far better to "work in to your walking work" rather than incur an injury that ruins your trek. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's a very interesting idea, Annie, and one that hadn't occurred to me.
Would it be feasible to walk out to Orrison, gauge how I feel about continuing, then make my decision? Or would you advise I book both nights first

I would book both nights.
You can always cancel if you get to Orisson and decide to continue on, but from your last post, looks like you're taking it in two days, and that's smart in my opinion.

Yes. Good decision. You have a long way to go after Roncevalles, don't injure yourself by overdoing things right off the bat. I still think about how, days after Roncevalles, the mornings in the albergues sometimes looked like an orthopedic hospital, what with everyone putting on Ace bandages and such things.

Again, good decision.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But please update us, once you've made it to Roncesvalles, as to how you felt that portion really was. Harder than you imagined? Easier? If you had to do it over again, would you go for it in one fell swoop or still split it up? I ask simply because I find it interesting how we can implant fear into our heads. I did the same thing, fearing that I wouldn't make it that first day, but found that once I got going (and energized with coffee at Orisson) it was difficult, but easier than I had anticipated. Have a wonderful walk, no matter how many days you spread it out over.

David - it's exactly as you said. I got to Orrison at about midday today. It was a tough slog at times, under a cloudless sky and high humidity. I was tired at Orrison, but, after refreshment (I had a beer), I felt I had more in me for the leg towards Roncesvalles. It was hard, but easier than I imagined.
As it was, I turned and set off downhill towards SJPdP. Again, I was tired, but that had a lot to do with the sun, and conditions. Next time, I'll go straight to Roncesvalles on Day 1. Tomorrow I'm taking a taxi to Orrison first.

Keith

Orissson is only 8 Kms from SJPDP. If you feel like stopping there and there are no accomodations they can call you a taxi and you can stay at SJPDP. Reverse strategy the next morning. Very simple solution, nothing to worry about. If the day is nice, press on to Roncesvalles, just go slow. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
David - it's exactly as you said. I got to Orrison at about midday today. It was a tough slog at times, under a cloudless sky and high humidity. I was tired at Orrison, but, after refreshment (I had a beer), I felt I had more in me for the leg towards Roncesvalles. It was hard, but easier than I imagined.
As it was, I turned and set off downhill towards SJPdP. Again, I was tired, but that had a lot to do with the sun, and conditions. Next time, I'll go straight to Roncesvalles on Day 1. Tomorrow I'm taking a taxi to Orrison first.

Keith
I read your message AFTER posting mine (see post above)!!! WOW!

Keith
Hurray! Happy to hear it's working out well for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all your advice. I'm in my hotel room in SJPdP at the moment, writing this. The town is full of pilgrims today, and rooms are scarce. I have decided to go for the slow start: Orrison tomorrow, then return here. In two days time, I'll taxi to Orrison to resume where I left off.
I might regret it. I might get to Orrison tomorrow and feel I could/should have pressed on, but I'm happy I've made my decision. By the way, Stephania - I'm older than you. :)

So excited for you! I had a tough slog over the top of the Napoleon and was tired but exhilarated when I reached Rocensvalles. This is so doable!! Just take your time, stop for that beer, and you will do great!!
Buen Camino :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back