• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last stretch of Camino Frances with kids

Sampi

Hi everybody, and thank you for making the Camino seem real even before we have set foot on it!
It's now 20 years since I decided to walk the Camino, and finally it's on a planning stage. But it's almost with tears in my eyes I read about all you guys doing the whole Camino Frances, as I've realised I won't be able to do that for a few years yet.
So this will be us next summer: four adults and six kids aged 9-18, doing about ten days of walking in July or August with its heat and crowds. The kids are all good walkers, the youngest ones completed Hadrian's Wall aged seven, doing the normal stages of around 25km daily. But we don't want the rush for beds as we want this to be a special experence for them -and for us- so has anyone got any good suggestion for such a big group? I've read several views on camping, personally we would happily tent if doable? Or would it be easy to get family rooms along that last stretch? I realise these questions have been asked and answered before, but would really appreciate some help :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sampi said:
Hi everybody, and thank you for making the Camino seem real even before we have set foot on it!
It's now 20 years since I decided to walk the Camino, and finally it's on a planning stage. But it's almost with tears in my eyes I read about all you guys doing the whole Camino Frances, as I've realised I won't be able to do that for a few years yet.
So this will be us next summer: four adults and six kids aged 9-18, doing about ten days of walking in July or August with its heat and crowds. The kids are all good walkers, the youngest ones completed Hadrian's Wall aged seven, doing the normal stages of around 25km daily. But we don't want the rush for beds as we want this to be a special experence for them -and for us- so has anyone got any good suggestion for such a big group? I've read several views on camping, personally we would happily tent if doable? Or would it be easy to get family rooms along that last stretch? I realise these questions have been asked and answered before, but would really appreciate some help :)

Sampi,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find lots of great information in these various topics and threads to help you and your family plan your future camino. Feel free to ask for advice ask we past pilgrims enjoy sharing tips with others. Such sharing is very much part of the true camino spirit .

As for others walking with a family group be sure to read the wonderful blog detailing the recent 2012 camino adventures of fellow Forum members kiwi-family >> http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kiwifamily/ They are currently planning another family camino for 2014.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Welcome
As dear Margaret has mentioned, we walked with eight kids and a grandpa too. If I can be of any particular assistance, I'd be happy to help. If you are worried about getting beds (and to be honest, we were at times), the key is to finish walking not too late and be in the queue when places open. Or you could book private accommodation.
But don't worry. It will all work out and will be a wonderful experience for you. We look back with fondness even on our miserable day when it seemed everything was booked and I raised my voice at one of the kids in the middle of the road and the rain poured all day!
You will enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much, both of you! I feel in good hands already! :)
I think the fact we've got ourselves into a situation where we have to walk in July/August is probably stressing me more than I had expected...
It seems like we're not going to meet you, Kiwi family, next year. Such a shame, you seem to be very inspirational people and your kids are very lucky children!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back