• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last thoughts on the Olvidado

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
I recently walked the last couple of weeks of the Olvidado, from Aguilar del Campóo to Ponferrada, following the new markings that go up into the high mountains. It was astonishingly, unforgettably, beautiful. I was lucky in only having one day of serious rain, so was often looking down from 1600m and higher, once with eagles circling below me, with views stretching over the Picos de Europa on one side and down to the distant flat of the meseta on the other.

It was occasionally quite gruelling, rarely actually climbing up or down, but often scrambling. I was told off for walking alone by one motherly old lady in one of the higher villages - "es muy peligrosa" - and I suppose she was right, as in some of the lonelier places days might pass before anybody else came past if you did have a fall, and mobile signal is often non-existent. The wikiloc tracks by enderjace are, I would say, quite essential. I'm sure I would have given up on at least a couple of the trickier sections without that lifeline, especially Guardo to Puente Almuhey vía Caminayo, possibly the toughest day (but the weather didn't help for the first 3 hours).

There are albergues, private and donativo, in Cervera de Pisuerga, Guardo, Puente Almuhey, Cistierna, Vegacervera, Buiza, La Magdalena, Vegarienza, Fasgar and Igüeña, and reasonably priced hostals everywhere else (mostly 20€, although I treated myself to a posh 35€ place at Vegacervera as I was soaked and freezing and knackered that day, and the hot bath was worth double the price). The albergues were mostly great, although I moved to the hotel in Puente Almuhey as there was no heating and no blankets in the albergue there - in the ones I stayed at (CdeP, Cistierna, Vegarienza and Fasgar) the lovely hospitaler@s made special efforts to ensure I was warm.

It was undeniably solitary. I never once saw anybody in the open countryside, and some of the villages I passed through were deserted as well. From Cervera de Pisuerga to Igüeña, 10 days, you are effectively never below 1000m in altitude, three times over 1600m, so if the weather closes in it could be nasty. I was never more than ankle deep in snow, but I wouldn't walk this way in February. Having said that, the people in the towns and villages were exceptionally kind and welcoming, sometimes perhaps a little curious about the foreigner walking so late in the season. And once I had to explain to some locals why there were strange yellow arrows painted on their lamp-posts, as they had no idea what they meant.

Once past the romanesque beauties of the Pisuerga valley, it has to be said that the towns were not beautiful - former mining towns fallen on hard times, in many cases. But the staggering beauty of the countryside between the towns more than compensated. I think it was probably the most beautiful and varied fortnight of my life.

It is not to be undertaken lightly, as this is not a walk on the beach - according to my (incomplete) wikiloc, I did more than 6000m of accumulated ascent in under a fortnight, a bit more than the height of Everest's base camp. But goodness it was worth it. And in spring or summer, with roses and flowers blooming all over the hills, it must be even more glorious.

In a word, inolvidable.

_20181126_213254.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your post makes me wish I were young again. ;) But it may inspire others.

Gracias.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh, my. A high recommendation indeed. And gorgeous photos.
Thank you, Alan.
It makes for good dreaming.

Thank you ,thank you alan ,,,, you are an inspiration !!!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great post Alan, it sounds very enticing!
There are albergues, private and donativo, in Cervera de Pisuerga, Guardo, Puente Almuhey, Cistierna, Vegacervera, Buiza, La Magdalena, Vegarienza, Fasgar and Igüeña, and reasonably priced hostals everywhere else (mostly 20€, although I treated myself to a posh 35€ place at Vegacervera as I was soaked and freezing and knackered that day, and the hot bath was worth double the price).

This accommodation situation seems quite different from the one Laurie described in 2014, when she routinely paid €35+. Has a lot changed in just four years or is the new route you took significantly different or is there something else that I'm missing?

It looks incredible Alan but not for your average walker. Very tempting although I guess that it would be best to team up with someone else given the remoteness and lack of coverage.

Great post Alan, it sounds very enticing!
This accommodation situation seems quite different from the one Laurie described in 2014, when she routinely paid €35+. Has a lot changed in just four years or is the new route you took significantly different or is there something else that I'm missing?

Good question, I was wondering the same.

Thank you so much for such detailed info on the Olvidado, Alan! When you say, “...but often scrambling.” what do you mean? I am hoping/ planning to walk the Olvidado in 2021 (se Deus quiser). I do not mind getting down on all four, but cannot handle walking on a narrow path next to sheer cliffs.

Have read Laurie’s blog and now your detailed description. How old are you (obviously superfit!)?

Now I am looking forward to follow Laurie on her Olvidado next year - you will keep us posted, won’t you, Laurie!

Thanks again, to both of you inspiring people!

Ina

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I guess that it would be best to team up with someone else ...

If the stars would only align.....

And about the lodging. I know that Ender has done a lot of work with municipalities, at least the ones in León province, so that accommodations are opening up. I walked with Susanna from Bilbao to Aguilar and we were always in private places. I don’t think there has been much change in that first part, but I could be wrong. Alan also started in Aguilar, I think.

I remember a few albergues, but they were always filled with youth groups when we walked (it was June, I think). From Aguilar, I walked alone and was able to connect with the owners of several casas rurales who were incredibly kind and opened their house to me.

To those who are going to walk alone — there are, I believe, two or three new mountain stages that Ender has marked. I personally wouldn’t go alone without a GPS and I would also see if there is a way to let people ahead know that you are coming (like the mayor of the small town who was waiting for alan!). I think there are ways this issue can be worked out.

If the stars would only align.....

And about the lodging. I know that Ender has done a lot of work with municipalities, at least the ones in León province, so that accommodations are opening up. I walked with Susanna from Bilbao to Aguilar and we were always in private places. I don’t think there has been much change in that first part, but I could be wrong. Alan also started in Aguilar, I think.

I remember a few albergues, but they were always filled with youth groups when we walked (it was June, I think). From Aguilar, I walked alone and was able to connect with the owners of several casas rurales who were incredibly kind and opened their house to me.

To those who are going to walk alone — there are, I believe, two or three new mountain stages that Ender has marked. I personally wouldn’t go alone without a GPS and I would also see if there is a way to let people ahead know that you are coming (like the mayor of the small town who was waiting for alan!). I think there are ways this issue can be worked out.

Haha, guess who I was thinking about when I wrote that?;) One never knows...
I remember your posting about your walk with Susanna (wonder how she is by the way) and then carrying on by yourself.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for such detailed info on the Olvidado, Alan! When you say, “...but often scrambling.” what do you mean? I am hoping/ planning to walk the Olvidado in 2021 (se Deus quiser). I do not mind getting down on all four, but cannot handle walking on a narrow path next to sheer cliffs.

How old are you (obviously superfit!)?

You don't need to use your hands very often. The only really scary bit was going down towards the Faedo woods from Vegacervera, which felt like a cliff in heavy sleaty rain in thick cloud, but probably is fine in good weather. I am 57 and as far from superfit as you can get (severe osteoarthritis in both knees - my wife was worried I would be arrested for drug running when she posted me lista correos emergency extra supplies of codein pain killers) so if I can do it I expect almost anybody can.

On accommodation, as Laurie says, I only joined the Olvidado at the half way point so don't know about Bilbao to Aguilar del Campóo, but from there on it isn't expensive (although I forgot to mention that I did spend 40€ in AdC itself, but it was a Saturday).

PS I think it was you, Ina, who inspired me to do the Torres, which was a great treat. Merci.

I very much appreciate your PS Torres Merci, Alan! Merci from me too! Torres is my baby since nobody else much seems to be interested. Especially I regret that those who walk this camino do not post their experience on the usal-website (University of Salamanca) thus encouraging others. Have not seen any other "relatos" since I posted mine two years ago. Well....

Buen caminos to everybody wherever you walk!

Ina

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back