• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late April or Late September from Porto

Quinranda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Hello everyone. I've walked the CF twice in the summer with my daughter. Bringing my husband along for the first time 😂. Thinking of doing the CP from Porto in either late April or late September. Wondering pros/cons for people who have walked at these times. Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked CP in April 2017. I cant even think of any ' cons' of doing it at the time. Some people report rain in Portugal, but we got very pleasant weather all along the way and minimal rain.

So, in general terms...

PROS:
- Food is great, cheap and comes in large portions along the route.
- Not as busy as CF, but with great infrastructure. If you don't mind small private accommodations, you will never bee too far from a place to sleep.
- Only one challenging day (the uphill to Alto da Portela Grande. Harder than Cebreiro imho).
- Random fact: UEFA (soccer) will probably be in semifinals round and if Porto classifies, you may have some interesting events around you. We were passing near Vigo when their team classified, everyone was celebrating and we got discounted dinner at the accommodation.

Cons:
- April has the Easter holiday which is huge in the country and you will probably have to book ahead on those days;
- it usually rains a lot. Not what happened to us though.
- The infamous cobblestone roads, which mince the feet of many. And lots of asphalt in the last day to Santiago. I don't have any issues with my (very well cushioned) trail runners, but my husband needed a new pair of insoles. We also saw met a boot-wearing pilgrim in absolute despair, we helped her to find a store for new shoes.

Hope it helps. I loved this route and highly recommend it :)

I walked at the very beginning of October (started October 1) so perhaps it is close enough to late September to be useful to you. I can't really provide a comparison to April, but if others write about April then maybe you can compare yourself. Based on 2018. It may vary in other years.

It was quite warm the first few days (even reaching the 30s in Barcelos), but cooled down afterwards and was very nice. There was really only one day of rain (the second last).

It is grape harvesting season. Ripe grapes were everywhere and in one vineyard a nice, generous Portuguese woman loaded us down with all the fresh grapes we could carry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the end of April and it was hot leaving Porto, and walking through the many farmer's fields. The farther north we walked, the cooler it got! In the spring the oranges are everywhere, many untended trees, where we helped ourselves for refreshment! And yes, we were offered them everywhere! Here is my website/photos, if you want to see how it looked! Many Ways on the Camino Portugues.

Also, by the time Easter arrived, we were so deep in the countryside, it was not a problem.

In September, you will be walking through Albariño (and other types) grape country and it will be harvest time! If you're lucky, like we were, you will be offered handfuls of grapes by kind vineyard masters!!
Bom Caminho whenever you decide!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.