• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late arrival in SJPDP

Elsiecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022 Frances
May 2023 Portuguese
I am currently on a train from Paris, we are stuck in Bordeaux, it is very delayed with no estimated time for leaving the station and I have missed my connection. There is a later connection which I am hoping to get which arrives SJPDP at 9 pm.
Will there still be anywhere open for food and drink purchase?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Elsiecamino,
You might call the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP which always stays open until the last transport arrives. tele. 05 59 37 05 09.

Furthermore the SNCF should help with finding you connections when you do arrive in Bayonne. If not go to the station manager office/bureau du chef de gare and show them your ticket. Bayonne rr station is small and used to tourists and/or pilgrims.

Last edited:
I am currently on a train from Paris, we are stuck in Bordeaux, it is very delayed with no estimated time for leaving the station and I have missed my connection. There is a later connection which I am hoping to get which arrives SJPDP at 9 pm.
Will there still be anywhere open for food and drink purchase?
Hi, If you cannot get away in time, arriving late in Bayonne - just stay in this beautiful town and take the early train next morning to SJPDP. ❤️

Sven

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Elsiecamino,
You might call the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP which always stays open until the last transport arrives. tele. 05 59 37 05 09.

Furthermore the SNCF should help with finding you connections when you do arrive in Bayonne. If not go to the station manager office/bureau du chef de gare and show them your ticket.
Thank you 🙏

I agree with Sven that staying overnight in Bayonne might be your best option. Take the first train to SJPP in the morning where you can relax, visit the Pilgrim’s Office, and get ready for starting your Camino the next day.

Hi Elsie
If you arrive in Bayonne for the last train to Saint Jean, and have time before the connection
(internet says last train today 19.30 arriving 20.47) I found a supermarket about 5 minutes walk away from the station, so you can stock up with next day lunch things there (if you are planning to get out of SJPD early the next morning). If you have a phone app that'll probably direct you there...
There should be eating places open after nine in St Jean, no problem. I'm assuming because you haven't mentioned accommodation that you have it booked already - so maybe good to give them a shout if you are going to be later than expected.
If you haven't booked a bed, then in my experience the pilgrim office will try and look after you. Long time back I was the last person in on the train in winter and the albergue was closed. The volunteer walked me down the street to someone they knew who had an upper floor stacked with beds - for just such an eventuality..
Fingers crossed!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Elsie
If you arrive in Bayonne for the last train to Saint Jean, and have time before the connection
(internet says last train today 19.30 arriving 20.47) I found a supermarket about 5 minutes walk away from the station, so you can stock up with next day lunch things there (if you are planning to get out of SJPD early the next morning). If you have a phone app that'll probably direct you there...
There should be eating places open after nine in St Jean, no problem. I'm assuming because you haven't mentioned accommodation that you have it booked already - so maybe good to give them a shout if you are going to be later than expected.
If you haven't booked a bed, then in my experience the pilgrim office will try and look after you. Long time back I was the last person in on the train in winter and the albergue was closed. The volunteer walked me down the street to someone they knew who had an upper floor stacked with beds - for just such an eventuality..
Fingers crossed!
Thank you, that is really helpful.
Yes our room is booked and we have informed our host. It’s good to hear you were well looked after

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.