• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late as possible to miss the school holidays

Ian T

I now have a back pack
Time of past OR future Camino
When she says I can
Hi everyone

Looking to plan my first comino for next year I originally thought of May but reading all these wonderful threads I would like to push it back a little but I do not want to clash with the school holidays as I am reading that this is a hugely contributory factor to the crowds and disturbance for the last 100 miles or so.

I have googled and it appears that next year the school holidays for France and Spain are around the first week in July. I want to spend about 35 days in total so does anyone please have experience of starting around the end of May to ease the crowds or is it just wishful thinking on my part.

Wonderful site with so many warm people thank you

Ian

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked in May/June several times and have not had any trouble finding peace and quiet or accommodation. That said, I have yet to walk the last 250Km

I am a German and the school holidays in Germany 2017 will begin 5th of June in 2017 instead of May as it was this year.

Hope this information helps too.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone

Looking to plan my first comino for next year I originally thought of May but reading all these wonderful threads I would like to push it back a little but I do not want to clash with the school holidays as I am reading that this is a hugely contributory factor to the crowds and disturbance for the last 100 miles or so.

I have googled and it appears that next year the school holidays for France and Spain are around the first week in July. I want to spend about 35 days in total so does anyone please have experience of starting around the end of May to ease the crowds or is it just wishful thinking on my part.

Wonderful site with so many warm people thank you

Ian
Hi Ian - I arrived in Santiago de Compostela June 24th (French route). I noticed a sudden build up of enthusiastic adult Spanish pilgrims at Arzua (19th June). They had far more energy, were not so tanned in a raw, exposed way, their gear was clean and fresh - and they didn't have inuries or blisters to contend with! Children and teenager groups (lots of Scouts), were not prevelant until Santiago. I suspect that towards the end of their summer term, before the holidays, schools take groups out along the way or into the city as an end-of-term-year excurrsion experience, for that part of their curriculum. I was advised that the Camino (last 100 km), is used as part of their school curriculum, and as a part of their (adult) faith where they have to visit a particular number of specific churches along the way, approaching Santiago, for absolution. It really didn't disturb me in any way, although private Albergue's tended to be booked-up upon arrival - unless you seek-out the municipals or private ones with a 'no advanced booking' policy. I hate having to book, preferring to not be fixed to a particular route or timescale. But its your Camino, you will find your pace and way, and as many friends as you want, I'm sure, and how you want to go along the way. You can find as much company as you want, or as little too! Santiago is a very busy, energetic city, for me best seen early morning - sunrise. I am planning to go next year, and looking at early to mid-May again. More distracting and disturbing for me are the groups of cyclists who ride far too quickly, where the pilgrim and cyclist paths join together, without warning of their approach - I had a couple of close misses with 'silent' but speedy cyclists. Keep your ears and eyes open for their approach. Buen Camino :) Keith

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can look at the monthly statistics here:
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/

In general, arrivals in a month mean departures in the previous month except for those starting in Sarria. Therefore, to fine tune the crowds, examine the Sarria departures for the arrival month, and know that the other pilgrims have walked longer distances (SJPdP is usually just behind Sarria for departure points, but WAY behind). If you look at the route walked, you can see the numbers that are on the Camino Frances, but you can see that as well by looking at the departure point.

Hi Ian,
I walked Leon to SDC mid May ending June 2. Never had an issue with accommodations staying both in albergues and private hotels. One or two were booked ahead. We noticed it was busier after Sarria but never crowded and still lots of space to walk on your own.
SDC was busy but it was busy last September also. I think it is just a busy but very pretty city. In early June university was ending and we were serenaded both nights by students who had been celebrating the end of the school year. Very loudly but we were finished our walk so a disturbed sleep was not such a big deal. If noise is a concern book away from the centre. It is walled city and the sound carries.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are kids walking the route during the school year, as walking the last 100km is often organised by schools. So planning to arrive to Saria after school is out will not help you. On the contrary.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful and helpful replies. Looks like my cunning plan to finish just before the school holidays start is scuppered. Hey ho I suppose that is life.

So I suppose for me now it is the final decision whether it is a late may start and walk in June. Or a very late August start and walk in September.

I am lucky as I retire next year so years of dreaming can come true I just like the warm weather.

Ian

Last edited:
Yes there are more from Sarria. I have arrived in Santiago on the 10th of June, 1st of July and 9th of September from the Frances. Also this year after joining from the Norte at Arzua on July 2nd. When I arrived last year on September 9th I found that there were a lot more people towards the end than I had previously encountered and more than when I joined this year or in previous ones. As is often noted there are more walking each year anyway. Such a small sample is hardly conclusive though is it? But my impression is be that arriving late June/early July seems less crowded. However when walking "the wrong way" from Astorga to Leon on the 7th to 9th of June this year I was astounded by the procession coming towards me every few hundred meters! Maybe it was because I was headed towards them as opposed to being part of a daisy chain that it made such an impression? Then again it could be that the Mozarabe and Via de Plata had been sparsely populated? Wheneveryou choose will work out. Just don't get tied up with over planning and worrying - it will work itself out. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back