• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late call to get boots back on

MarkyD

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
A few days ago an old friend of mine asked me if I would like to join him picking up where he left the Camino del Norte about 3 or 4 years ago as he took the left fork at Casquita to go on to Oviedo and join the Camino Primativo. So for me, having mused through the summer about possible "short caminos" and weighing up risks and inconveniences about doing it at all, eventually it appears that the Camino has called me.

I live in Madrid, which is about to restrict movement in and out of 37 areas of the community, but luckily where I live is not in the list of restricted areas (at least for now, so fingers crossed it stays that way).

We'll hopefully be starting around 3rd October. My friend will be getting a flight from the UK to Santander first, and then bus to Oviedo. I guess from Oviedo we might walk back to Villaviciosa or get a bus, we shall see what happens.

Living in Spain now for several years I am well aware of the weather situation that is likely to greet us on the Asturian coast, and later the green rolling hills of Galicia. I'm not sure what accommodation options might be available, but I'm reasonably confident that we will find something each day. I speak fluent Spanish, which will help with making phone calls ahead etc.

It would be great to bump into anyone on this forum who might be on the same route, but how will I recognise them? I seem to remember there was an idea floated on this forum of a badge or something to identify us. But maybe it will be more of a surprise if it pops up in casual conversation, as most Camino synchronocity experiences often do.

I have a couple of weeks to test rain gear, mess around with boots, backpack and kit. I've been doing regular training walks this week and will continue for the next two weeks before heading north.

Perhaps this Camino might not have been my preferred choice to do next, nor the time of year, nor the current situation of uncertainty and risk; but the Camino has chosen me at this time and in that place. My first Camino in 2018 started with a practice walk going in reverse direction from Orio to San Sebastian, I then went to Irún to collect my credential but then went on to SJPP to think about which Camino I would start. Once there I had a clear sign that I should start there. Coincidentally, it was the same friend that had advised me to do the Camino Francés first. So now it looks like we will both walk part of El Norte, which will leave me with a "to do list" item of completing the route by walking the previous part another time.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Enjoy. I'm jealous. I too have to come back to the Norte. I walked from Santander to sdc a couple of years back. So I need to complete the start!

I walked the Norte in 2016 and turned onto the Primitivo for the remainder. I had all the arrangements made to complete the Norte this past April. I am hoping to re-activate my same plans in April 2021, but we have no guarantees yet of traveling from the US.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good luck with your Camino. I was planning on the Norte this April but have now postponed until April next year. Always good to have something to look forward to!

It would be great to bump into anyone on this forum who might be on the same route, but how will I recognise them? I seem to remember there was an idea floated on this forum of a badge or something to identify us.
".....there was an idea floated on this forum of a badge or something to identify us..."

Not a bad idea .....
The forum badge has been available from Ivar’s store for many years. I have seen many sewn to the backpack as identification for the reason you mentioned. I’ve had mine for many years.

Here is a screen shot from the ‘store’ of the badge.

Attachments

• 4877B5D7-5359-4AB4-A710-B18D9F153F8A.png
    4877B5D7-5359-4AB4-A710-B18D9F153F8A.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Enjoy. I'm jealous. I too have to come back to the Norte. I walked from Santander to sdc a couple of years back. So I need to complete the start!
Maybe our paths will cross on the first section in the near future. I have a half-baked plan to do a week or two around May/June next year. I'd probably look to start in Irún and get as far as Santander. Anyway, a lot could happen between now and then, but it's good to have a few irons in the fire.

I walked the Norte in 2016 and turned onto the Primitivo for the remainder. I had all the arrangements made to complete the Norte this past April. I am hoping to re-activate my same plans in April 2021, but we have no guarantees yet of traveling from the US.
I hope you can come back when the next opportunity presents itself and that you are able to re-activate those plans that you had to put on the back burner. In the meantime, I'll walk a few steps in your honour!

The forum badge has been available from Ivar’s store for many years. I have seen many sewn to the backpack as identification for the reason you mentioned. I’ve had mine for many years.

Here is a screen shot from the ‘store’ of the badge.
Aha, I thought so. Time to order one then. Thank you for the info.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back