• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late check-in albergues in Santiago

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hello, my plane doesn't arrive into Santiago till 22:30 on Tuesday.

Can anyone recommend an albergue or place to say that has late check-in?

I'm on a budget, so would prefer an albergue but willing to pay a little more if necessary.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please remember if it is a shared room to come in quietly and that you might be awakened earlier than you want if you arrive late.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, my plane doesn't arrive into Santiago till 22:30 on Tuesday.

Can anyone recommend an albergue or place to say that has late check-in?

I'm on a budget, so would prefer an albergue but willing to pay a little more if necessary.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.
Try Albergue The Last Stamp. You would have to work out the payment logistics and let them know about late arrival. They are on Booking.com

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please remember if it is a shared room to come in quietly and that you might be awakened earlier than you want if you arrive late.
That was not me several years ago in Pamplona at a private albergue with no curfew, stumbling in at 0400. 😄
but I wasn't the only one stumbling in the albergue that late and after all, it was Pamplona just a few days before the San Fermin festivities.....I love that city. No shortage of good food and good times.

Hospederia San Martín Pinaro near the cathedral. 24hr reception and budget pilgrim rooms on the 4th floor. Plus a fantastic breakfast!

The diner there is awfull. For diner find a restaurant in the towncenter.
the Hospederia further is o.k.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The diner there is awfull.
I agree that the dinner there perhaps does not live up to expectations, given the rest of the outstanding experience of staying at San Martin Pinario. It was a very typical and basic menu, with limited choice, for €12. It is a good choice if one is interested in a quiet functional dinner at a budget price, without going out and dealing with crowds and decisions about restaurants.

I agree that the dinner there perhaps does not live up to expectations, given the rest of the outstanding experience of staying at San Martin Pinario. It was a very typical and basic menu, with limited choice, for €12. It is a good choice if one is interested in a quiet functional dinner at a budget price, without going out and dealing with crowds and decisions about restaurants.
I stayed there for 14 days. Not much variety and not enough for a normal human being.

I guess I've stayed at San Martin Pinario for a total of 5-6 nights when in Santiago. No complaints on dinner or breakfast. I thought it was good. Mind you, I don't consider myself to have a sophisticated palate. I'm just a meat and potatoes kind of eater. When it comes to food and drinks function over form for sure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

I've just found out that Monte de Gozo has 24 hour reception, I'm guessing that will be even quicker and cheaper to get to by taxi late at night.

Has anyone walked that section after dark? Is it doable? I have very little money to splash around, so would prefer not to use a taxi.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I've just found out that Monte de Gozo has 24 hour reception, I'm guessing that will be even quicker and cheaper to get to by taxi late at night.

Has anyone walked that section after dark? Is it doable? I have very little money to splash around, so would prefer not to use a taxi.

On my last camino, I entered the village of A Lavacolla at 5:30pm and debated whether to stop or keep walking to Santiago. It was early November so the sun was setting earlier and I knew I'd be in the dark soon. I decided to go for it. It was dark by the time I reached Monte de Gozo and I pressed on ahead to Santiago, reaching the city by about 8pm. Mind you, I was already familiar with the route from my first camino so I knew my way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Once you get to the Camino path from the airport, it's about 10 kilometers I would guess to Monte de Gozo and it's a easy walk, not much elevation change and quite a bit on paved surfaces. I would say it's doable with a good, bright headlamp and a couple spare batteries. Take your time and walk sensibly. I've stayed at Monte de Gozo twice. Very large, rather unique place but comfortable and basic. No complaints from me.

I have stayed at Monte de Gozo twice and am currently at San Martín Pinario, until I head for home in a few days. I came into Santiago through Monte de Gozo.
I like the private rooms with bathrooms and amazing "all you can eat" breakfasts at San Martin Pinario, and being in the centre of everything rather than about 5 kms out. I would choose Monte de Gozo if I were short of cash or time and only interested in heading for home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.