• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late evening check ins

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016
Camino Portuguese 2017
We have booked all our accommodations as we have a large family but I was wondering if anyone could comment on checking in later in the evening as well as finding food.
If we are going to be quite late should we just pack dinner or eat on the way if possible or do the towns have late night bars etc?
Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey, if you like a late dinner you will be fine - no self respecting Spaniard eats dinner before 10pm. The restaurants are just re-opening after siesta at 9! Shops also open quite late. Most of the albergues require pilgrims to be tucked up in bed early, which causes great problems and is the reason for the (sometimes) horrible "pilgrim menu" at about 6pm. The food is only for the poor unfortunately pilgrims, not the locals! If I'm staying in an albergue I avoid the pilgrim menu unless we are cooking ourselves, or eating in the albergue. Instead I eat a restaurant "menu del dia" at about 2pm, with the locals.

If you have booked accommodation, in hotels and pensiones, as long as you are able to check in later, you should be fine.

I would suggest that each evening you contact the next night's accommodation and advise them of your expected time of arrival. That way they will know you intend to honour the booking. Some places expect you to arrive by 18.00 (6.00pm) and can consider you a 'no-show' if you have not arrived by then. If you don't have the Spanish to manage I am sure your hosts for the night will help.
Food - we tended to have menu del dia at lunch time and a lighter meal at night because we did not want to stay up to eat at Spanish evening meal hours 9.00pm onwards in most places with 8.30pm considered 'early'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At Bruma the hospitalero arranges delivery food each evening. You have to be there before he collects the orders, about 6 p.m. if I recall correctly. There is no town for food, but you can use the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The family are using private accommodation so for them they will be looking for food but not in the albergue. Useful info for those who are staying there, thanks Falcon.
If they staying in Meson do Vento then Meson Novo serves food at quite late hours as it has a roadside cafe.

Tia Valeria is spot on; you shouldn't have a problem, late evening and you can just as easily choose Tapas or Raciones, for a change from Menu del Dia.
Also, this part of Galicia is great on " free" tapas with drinks .

Buen appetito!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
At Bruma the hospitalero arranges delivery food each evening. You have to be there before he collects the orders, about 6 p.m. if I recall correctly. There is not town for food, but you can use the kitchen.

When I walked the Ingles last May, the hospitalero at Bruma DID NOT arrange for food.

There is a new bar/ restaurant down the street from the Burma A'berg.
Woman who runs the place will also do breakfast. She is very helpful and very nice. Plus, good food.

I dont know when you were there. Possibly since May 2017 things have changed.
Hope not. Many locals and walkers liked the restaurant.

About 200 Mts +/- from the A'berg. Turn right. Walk up street. Place is on your left. Clean. New. Nice

When I walked the Ingles last May, the hospitalero at Bruma DID NOT arrange for food.

There is a new bar/ restaurant down the street from the Bruma A'berg.
Woman who runs the place will also do breakfast. She is very helpful and very nice. Plus, good food.

I dont know when you were there. Possibly since May 2017 things have changed.
Hope not. Many locals and walkers liked the restaurant.

About 200 Mts +/- from the A'berg. Turn right. Walk up street. Place is on your left. Clean. New. Nice
I was back in September 2016 and the restaurant had opened.

When the hospitalero arranged food it was because the nearest bar/restaurant was actually in Meson do Vento not Bruma itself. The one in Bruma itself is new since we were there, so now there is no need for food to be ordered from further away as in the old arrangement.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.