• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late October Camino Frances

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
I love this forum and wish all my interest had similar expertly supported sites!
I love to complete a September pilgrimage, but am committed to a late October Camino due to a family commitment. I have read advice and experiences of a late fall Camino and was wondering if there are any words of wisdom I should employ in my planning or packing? Are there advantages of my timing? My biggest concern is the availability of albergues?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked last October arriving in Santiago on 2nd November. Some albergues and cafes were starting to close but still plenty open; more than adequate. Take a raincoat. Enjoy.

mlhhome.

Be sure to check out this useful Forum thread on walking in autumn. >>
el-camino-frances/topic17421.html

I have often walked the CF in late October and November and hope to again this year. These are wonderful months to walk with generally clear days and chilly or cold nights. However you must BE PREPARED for varied weather.

Many albergues start to close mid October but some are always open. There is never a problem of finding a bunk since the mobs of some have passed. Hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets, but not all.

Weather is a continual camino preoccupation. Warm but lightweight layers are what to wear. Perhaps you would find my Kit list and blog Camino Gazetteer at http://mermore.blogspot.com/ useful.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started at SJPdP last October. The pilgrims office gave me a sheet listing Albergues and included dates open ... It wasn't 100% correct but it was accurate enough that I never had to walk further than planned because of a close Albergue.

Carry a dry bag for your sleeping bag and your clothing.

Ragknit wool gloves and a scarf will get a lot of use.

congratulations on your camino.

a simple piece of advice. wrap everything in your backpack with plastic bags or ziplocks before packing. regardless of how much rain gears you have, your backpack will always get wet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi I left SJPDP on the 27th October and arrived in SDC on the 27 November. What has been said that the weather can be varied is the one thing i would support. I went over the Pyrnees on hot sunny day, walked across the mesata in strong stormy winds,when we could take shelter we did. Walked up to O Ceiberio in a snow blizzard, then 3 days later was laid in a field taking in the suns rays on a hot winter day.Take clothes that can cover all the bases, you may find it hard to get them dry,so take clothes that you do not mind wearing a few times before you get round to washing and cleaning. Dry bags are not essential, a good raincover for your backpack will keep it dry.

Albergues start to close from the end of September onwards, but there is enough open even in November for it not to be a problem. I only came unstuck once, i had planned to only walk 20km but found that the intended albergue was closed and had to walk 30km. I never really stayed in a busy one and in Sarria i was the only person in the albergue Casa peltre.

Take walking in late October as a blessing I felt it that way and the people i met did.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back