• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late(r) Arrival in Roncesvalles

MilerMilo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances to Fisterra and Muxia May-June 2017
To start my Camino I am planning to take the first train from Bayonne, pop by the Pilgrim Office in SJPDP, and then get up to Roncesvalles. It says the train (temporarily a bus) arrives in SJPDP just after 9:00, so figuring getting on the road by 10:00. If it takes eight hours-ish to get up to Roncesvalles, that would put me there around 6:00. My question is this: how early does the albergue in Roncesvalles begin to fill up? I would hate to get there only to have difficulty finding a bed because of my arrival time.

Also, if anyone has insights on my general timeline, that would be helpful as well. I'm not worried about my ability to do the trek in one day--I'm a long-distance runner and regular hiker who walks with a decent-sized backpack daily as it's my gym bag.

Thank you in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can make a reservation at Ronc, here
Judging by your description, you will make this stage easily. Just be careful with the tricky forest descent, or consider the easier last section alternative by Ibañeta.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I were you, I'd take an extra day in St. Jean.

My friend and I arrived at around 5pm, however we both were fairly tired (and a little dirty) from the travelling we did beforehand, so we decided not leave the next morning. We stayed in St. Jean an extra day, to clean everything and get everything properly prepared. If you will already have everything ready, then perfect. But her and I fell in love with St. Jean. It really is a beautiful little town, and I feel that not a lot of people really experience it. They just want to go ahead and start their Camino, which I understand. So maybe leave the next day, walk around a bit, check out the views, find some nice cafes and restaurants. It's a beautiful town.

The albergue in Roncesvalles started to fill up a bit when I arrived there at around 530pm. This was in late September too.

Hope this helps a little bit. :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello MilerMilo. As Peter mentions it depends what time of the year you will walk the Camino. If you choose the Napoleon route don't underestimate the climb up to Orrison. It's a tough start. (or the steep forest descent to Roncevalles when you will most certainly be tired.) Lastly, follow any advice the Pilgrims office has on weather conditions.

Time of year, of course! It'll be mid-May--Sunday the 14th, to be exact.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've stayed at the albergue at Roncesvalles three times (June-August) and never saw it full, but was far from empty. I don't think I ever saw them break out the overflow accommodations.
The latest I ever got there was around 5:00 pm. During the summer the days are pretty long.
There are limited eating options there, though. Two pilgrim's dinners served every night, at two restaurants I think. One dinner at around 6:00 pm I think, and the other at around 7:30 pm.
If you do a lot of long distance running and also hike, you won't have any problems getting over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles in June.
ultreia

Last year we arrived around 5, late April, wet and cold and were put in the overflow accommodations. It was damp, no heat, no way to dry our clothes. I was ready to quit and go home. Make reservations.

To start my Camino I am planning to take the first train from Bayonne, pop by the Pilgrim Office in SJPDP, and then get up to Roncesvalles. It says the train (temporarily a bus) arrives in SJPDP just after 9:00, so figuring getting on the road by 10:00. If it takes eight hours-ish to get up to Roncesvalles, that would put me there around 6:00. My question is this: how early does the albergue in Roncesvalles begin to fill up? I would hate to get there only to have difficulty finding a bed because of my arrival time.

Also, if anyone has insights on my general timeline, that would be helpful as well. I'm not worried about my ability to do the trek in one day--I'm a long-distance runner and regular hiker who walks with a decent-sized backpack daily as it's my gym bag.

Thank you in advance!

There is no way we can predict accommodation availability in Roncesvalles. There are too many variables.

The rumors we get on the forum are of it being full one day and not so full the next ...

Of note, the Albergue no longer operates overflow above its 180 beds ... which suggests there may be shortages.

I would allow 9 hours to get over Napoleon. Its long slow uphill and somewhat steep down at the end of a hot day. Bring lots of water.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back