• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late-season Camino Frances 2018 - pics and thoughts

Time of past OR future Camino
Recently back from the CF, started 25 October in St Jean.

Autumn colours are pleasing, the air is often crisp and clear and starting early, through or above a misty dawn, can be memorable. Some albergues still have wood stove fires and the abundance of chestnuts is a bonus.
I started mid-week and saw small numbers of pilgrims except in the cities, where many people seemed inclined to take one or two days off. Most nights in municipals outside the cities there were usually 5-10 pilgrims staying. Some exceptions including Pilar’s place in Rabanal which had more than 30 people, who’d arrived soaking wet, but were all well looked-after of course.
Overall we found some albergues were closing early/mid November. For two albergues we stayed on their last open night of the season and for two others we were a day too late. If I did it again I’d start about ten days earlier, mid-October.
Internet makes it much easier to find whether places are open than a few years ago: guide Apps seem to generally be updated quickly and news travels fast on WhatsApp. There’s also a website page that gives the latest info on open albergues, for those of us not using Apps www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno .

The pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/albums/72157704524495734/page1
My 3-year old phone camera is starting to show its age when compared to the latest gizmos, but still just about OK. A zoom would have been nice for those snowy mountains close to Logrono in particular. As ever, few pictures get taken on the rainy days so there are a few gaps. But we had sunshine for the Pyrenees, the meseta and between Ponferrada and Santiago. For some reason I didn’t take the camera out for the communal meals, so only one features - Granon, which has changed very little since 10 years ago. I feared the internet rave reviews might spoil it, but they haven’t - it’s still beautifully true to the camino spirit in its own special way.
Cheers, tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
absolutely lovely!
your choices, angles, the colors create a beautiful journey
thank you for sharing
making me re think a fall camino

Autumn colours are pleasing, the air is often crisp and clear and starting early, through or above a misty dawn, can be memorable. Some albergues still have wood stove fires and the abundance of chestnuts is a bonus.
I started mid-week and saw small numbers of pilgrims except in the cities, where many people seemed inclined to take one or two days off. Most nights in municipals outside the cities there were usually 5-10 pilgrims staying. Some exceptions including Pilar’s place in Rabanal which had more than 30 people, who’d arrived soaking wet, but were all well looked-after of course.
Overall we found some albergues were closing early/mid November. For two albergues we stayed on their last open night of the season and for two others we were a day too late. If I did it again I’d start about ten days earlier, mid-October.
Internet makes it much easier to find whether places are open than a few years ago: guide Apps seem to generally be updated quickly and news travels fast on WhatsApp. There’s also a website page that gives the latest info on open albergues, for those of us not using Apps www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno .

The pics
My 3-year old phone camera is starting to show its age when compared to the latest gizmos, but still just about OK. A zoom would have been nice for those snowy mountains close to Logrono in particular. As ever, few pictures get taken on the rainy days so there are a few gaps. But we had sunshine for the Pyrenees, the meseta and between Ponferrada and Santiago. For some reason I didn’t take the camera out for the communal meals, so only one features - Granon, which has changed very little since 10 years ago. I feared the internet rave reviews might spoil it, but they haven’t - it’s still beautifully true to the camino spirit in its own special way.
Cheers, tom
Excellent shots! I'm going early June-late July 2019. Can't wait!!

Tom, thank you for sharing your pictures with us. They are wonderful; such a beautiful time of the year to be on Camino. May you be blessed with a joyous Christmas.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The pics
Cheers, tom
Fantastic photos Tom! Love your work!

The pics
Cheers, tom
Great photos. Huge memories.

The pics
Cheers, tom

What amazing photos!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just beautiful! You really captured the essence and beauty of the camino! Love it!

The pics
Cheers, tom
Latest I walked was finishing mid October. Your photos are inspiring, might consider starting late September next time. How cold was it if at all

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I enjoyed your photos a lot, they are beautiful!

Great photos the scenery is majestic. Looks like you had a wonderful time . Thank you for sharing.
Have a lovely holiday.
Blessings and good wishes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Phew, what an amazingly positive reaction! Glad to find that so many people liked the pics - thank you.
Davey: yes, Foncebadon was quite a shock - it always felt like it was just past the last frontier of civilisation as the mountains went up and up. Now it's all quite smart and there's an Italian pizza place recently opened too.
tpmchugh: there were a few days with mean icy north wind, but most of the time it was fine: shirt/t-shirt for a few afternoons (as long as you're in the sun). I think it's all quite manageable nowadays because there are so many more bars/cafes to keep warm and always places to stay with heating, if you need it.
Donal: yes, that first part of the meseta had a sky that was pretty mind-expanding.

One thing I thought folks might be interested in seeing is the pics of the high-level route after Villafranca de Bierzo. In the past I'd thought I'd like to do it, but that it might be a diversion too far if I was going to go all the way to O'Cebreiro. But this time the weather was so good that I went for it - and didn't regret it; much of the time walking above the clouds and later coming down through acres of chestnut tree groves.
And one magic incident I have to mention - that same day, in the evening, I went to give thanks at the pilgrim's mass in O'Cebreiro. I shuffled in and much to my surprise the priest handed me an English bible and pointed to a passage from a St Paul epistle and indicated that he'd signal me to come to the lectern and read at the appropriate time... which I duly did. I heard afterwards from a Korean friend that he was similarly ambushed - possibly a daily occurrence?
Cheers, tom

The pics
Cheers, tom
Absolutely beautiful, inspirational photos Tom. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Wishing you many more Buen Caminos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The pics
Cheers, tom
This is great Tom. Thank you. I’d love to do a winter Camino.

The pics
Cheers, tom
Great photos Tom,looks like you had a great time

The pics
Cheers, tom
I loved Pilar's place in Rabanal!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I loved your photos, brings back great camino memories. One of the things that surprised me the most in Spain was the beautiful scenery.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back