• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Latest Arrival Time at Orisson

sallygardens

Hi

I travel in July and arrive in St Jean by train roughly 4pm.
Is there enough time to get my Camino passport and a few supplies, then walk to Orisson that evening?
Whats the latest time we can arrive and avail of the meal?
As we're only on the Camino for a week it would be great to get walking to Orisson on the first day and then really enjoy the shorter walk to R on the second day too.

I think we'd be leaving St Jean on foot by 5.30 or 6pm and we are relatively fit walkers and 5k runners so I guess we'd be arriving Orisson 7.30/8pm. I think I read somewhere that they wanted people to arrive by 6?

Anyone know? Thank you. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We haven't yet been there but on the emails I received from them when I made the reservation they did say that we had to arrive by 18:30 (6:30).

Hi Sallygardens!
You have to arrive at or before 18.00, the meal is served at 18.30.
I don't think that leaves you enough time to walk it if you arrive in Saint Jean at 16.00....

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sallygardens!
You have to arrive at or before 18.00, the meal is served at 18.30.
I don't think that leaves you enough time to walk it if you arrive in Saint Jean at 16.00....
Or, you could take a taxi?
I believe you must arrive ON FOOT at Orisson!

You're absolutely right of course, thanks for the correction!
Will edit my post !

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi @sallygardens, are you flying Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz? My brother in law and his friends are taking the Ryanair flight next week and are also planning to walk to Orisson as soon as they arrive in St. Jean. They have booked an airport transfer to St Jean, to ensure that they can get to Orisson before 6pm. You might want to check that out: http://www.expressbourricot.com It's a bit of a risky strategy as the flight could of course be delayed, but it's theoretically doable. Ideally, you should try to leave St Jean by 3pm at the latest - this is a tough walk and your pace will probably be a lot slower than on other sections. I will let you know how this works out for my brother in law.

Another option is to stay at Huntto, which is closer to St. Jean. However, if you are fit walkers, you should be able to walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles in one day (which is what the vast majority of pilgrims do). You would then have no pressure to start walking on day 1 and you could enjoy a nice evening in St. Jean.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone.
@NualaOC you're bang on, thats the Ryanair flight :)
I like the options and I've got a quote of €42 each for the transfer which would give us time to walk to Orisson that afternoon and arrive by 6pm :)

Now looking for any fellow travellers to share the taxi and reduce the cost.
16 June, Dub-Biar, arrive 12.30pm.

That sounds good @sallygardens, hope it works out. The good thing about flying Ryanair is that they are normally pretty punctual!

Express Bourricot usually have no difficulty filling their minibuses, especially during the busier months. The price that you're quoted will automatically reduce as others book for the same trip.

Hi Sallygardens: I hope you have reserved your spot at Orisson well in advance. There are two places run by the family (the main house and Kayola). I would recommend that you stay overnight in St. Jean. There are at least two places I can recommend, if you are interested. Both owners have walked the Camino.

The way up to Orisson is a challenge followed by an even more challenging walk to Roncesvalles. Send your pack ahead if you are uncertain about the weight. It takes a few days to get used to walking an carrying a backpack.
Sully

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi

I travel in July and arrive in St Jean by train roughly 4pm.
Is there enough time to get my Camino passport and a few supplies, then walk to Orisson that evening?
Whats the latest time we can arrive and avail of the meal?
As we're only on the Camino for a week it would be great to get walking to Orisson on the first day and then really enjoy the shorter walk to R on the second day too.

I think we'd be leaving St Jean on foot by 5.30 or 6pm and we are relatively fit walkers and 5k runners so I guess we'd be arriving Orisson 7.30/8pm. I think I read somewhere that they wanted people to arrive by 6?

Anyone know? Thank you. :)
Hi, you have to arrive before the evening meal. That is between 18.00 and 18.30 hr.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back