• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Latest news Roncesvalles

Nico "Carfield"

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Camino Portugues (2016) from Porto
Camino Primitivo (2017)
Camino Portugues
I recieved the news that a part of the Alberque in Roncesvalles will be closed because the lack of the required permits. We hope this is a
temporary problem.
The campamento and a other sleepingplace is closed down! I don't know exactly why!
Totale beds are reduced with a lot of beds!! Still there are 220 available!
It is a big setback for this moment!
The next place is Burguete, about 3 km further and a easy path to walk.

Friday I start my volunteer work as hospitalero. If I know more I let you know!
This all can happen on your camino!
Nevertheless, Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
- This was a decision of the Gobierno of Navarra.
- The capacity that is left: Aterpea 183 beds, winteralbergue 34 beds (total 217).
- Compared to the numbers of 2016 this would mean that capacity won't be sufficient in about 1/3 of the days.
- Hospitaleros will stick to the rules of the Gobierno (fines are very high).
- Busses from Pamplona will be informed when the albergue is full, so new pilgrims can get off in Burguete.
- Reservations are not recommended. They have to be done 14 days prior to arrival.
- They will keep a few 'emergency beds' for 'problematic cases'.
- It is an unpleasant surprise for them as well, 'but we'll have to deal with it'.

Link to the statement (in Dutch): https://www.facebook.com/groups/SintJacobsRoute/772774892897700/

Edit: Nico, good to hear you are going to volunteer there though! I hope you'll still enjoy your time there. Must be hard to send exhausted pilgrims away...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Says who? With the fancy online reservation system they've set up, I can't imagine they would then say it is not recommended to book. Where would the logic be in that?
Says the Dutch association that is sending hospitaleros overthere. Don't know why, there was no further explanation. (My post was edited by a moderator, I now see that the source of the statement was erased.)

@Katharina, in the FB group I mentioned someone posted a Word document in Dutch. That is where I got the information from. That is all I know. The proof of the pudding is in the eating: I wonder what happens if someone tries to make a reservation less than 14 days in advance.

Last edited:
I recieved the news that a part of the Alberque in Roncesvalles will be closed because the lack of the required permits. We hope this is a
temporary problem.
The campamento and a other sleepingplace is closed down! I don't know exactly why!

Hi ,

I paid for the reservation with credit card to sleep the 20th may. does that mean it is canceled?
please let me know if you have more info
thanks a lot in advance
Marc

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
- The capacity that is left: Aterpea 183 beds, winteralbergue 34 beds (total 217).
- Compared to the numbers of 2016 this would mean that capacity won't be sufficient in about 1/3 of the days.
- Busses from Pamplona will be informed when the albergue is full, so new pilgrims can get off in Burguete.
- Reservations are not recommended. They have to be done 14 days prior to arrival.
- It is an unpleasant surprise for them as well, 'but we'll have to deal with it'.

Link to the statement (in Dutch): https://www.facebook.com/groups/SintJacobsRoute/772774892897700/

Edit: Nico, good to hear you are going to volunteer there though! I hope you'll still enjoy your time there. Must be hard to send exhausted pilgrims away...
It is sad and sometimes it's politics. The Government should know and realize The Camino is a source of revenue for most places.

temporary problem.

Thanks Nico. It will be good to get first hand News from our 'Reporter at the Scene' :)

Says who? With the fancy online reservation system they've set up, I can't imagine they would then say it is not recommended to book. Where would the logic be in that?

Maybe it's because people are tempted to book them don't turn up and don't cancel booking ... becomes confusing / disappointing / and stops others from getting a bed ....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe it's because people are tempted to book them don't turn up and don't cancel booking ... becomes confusing / disappointing / and stops others from getting a bed ....
Again, says who? It is not written anywhere that reservations are not recommended.

According to the Forum Calendar, 15-20 forum members planned to start walking from SJPP between today and May 6 (and a fair number more who will starting the Camino Francés, but don't give their start point), in addition to Nico who is volunteering in Roncesvalles. Hopefully some of them will come on to give a "boots on the ground" report -- and turn this back into a Live from the Camino thread. ;)

I aim to be in Roncesvalles on May 2nd. Probably early afternoon. Want three or four short days to ensure I get my Camino legs. Don't need to be stuffed around! Thanks to Nico, Luka and others who have posted factual info. It really helps! Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Says the Dutch association that is sending hospitaleros overthere. Don't know why, there was no further explanation. (My post was edited by a moderator, I now see that the source of the statement was erased.)

Luka, the link to the statement source is still clearly displayed in your post. The only part moderated was your argumentative first sentence relating to a comment that had also been moderated.

If members cannot desist from speculation and bickering this thread will be closed for further posting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I aim to be in Roncesvalles on May 2nd. Probably early afternoon. Want three or four short days to ensure I get my Camino legs. Don't need to be stuffed around! Thanks to Nico, Luka and others who have posted factual info. It really helps! Cheers
Hola Mike!

My dodgy achilles tendon and I are booked in to the albergue in Roncesvalles for Monday May 1st. Hope to see you along the road. I will be the old codger hobbling slowly but [we hope] steadily.

BTW, the booking for the albergue was made 2 days ago.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I asked about this claim in the other thread but it has been closed and nobody can reply now. They have a sophisticated online booking system now, you pay by credit card, no restrictions concerning timing other than that you have to book at least one day before arrival and must cancel at least 24 hours before arrival. The booking is confirmed as soon as the credit card payment has gone through. If cancelled correctly, your payment is credited back to the credit card account within 15 days. All this is spelled out on their website.

I'm going to stop posting as I'm not writing live from the camino. I wish @Nico "Carfield" a safe trip to Roncesvalles and perhaps he can shed some light on this once he is there.

SintJacobsRoute
is not the official FB group of the Dutch association, the genootschap group is the official FB group and their statement there does not mention anything about reservations whatsoever.

I feel for people who are just about to embark on their very first Camino trip. I wish them a good start, without unpleasant surprises during their first days, and reliable information.

May I ask what online booking system? Does anyone have the link? Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
temporary problem.

Does the Albergue here also provide dinner and breakfast?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Why are reservations not recommended?

Not regarding whether or not bookings are recommended but just an observation from my night at Roncesvalles on 24th March. Several pilgrims I had walked with believes they had booked (and paid) online, only to be told at check-in they had not.

It seems there is a "final confirmation" step in the booking process that, no matter how well or poorly highlighted, was missed by quite a few pilgrims. At that time of year space was not a problem but I imagine now that correctly completing a booking will become much more important. For Info only for those heading to Roncesvalles soon.

Not regarding whether or not bookings are recommended but just an observation from my night at Roncesvalles on 24th March. Several pilgrims I had walked with believes they had booked (and paid) online, only to be told at check-in they had not.

It seems there is a "final confirmation" step in the booking process that, no matter how well or poorly highlighted, was missed by quite a few pilgrims. At that time of year space was not a problem but I imagine now that correctly completing a booking will become much more important. For Info only for those heading to Roncesvalles soon.

Good to know. Thank you, @Alicemc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue takes reservations for dinner and/or breakfast at one of the two restaurants just outside the monastery complex. Last year the system was that you made a reservation when checking in, paid in advance for your meal and received a ticket for a particular time which you then handed over on arrival in the restaurant.

They take the fun out of scurrying round trying to find a bed.

No. http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/index.php?idioma=2

Actually they do offer both dinner and breakfast. I was surprised that one of my best pilgrim meals was at Roncesvalles - I think it was E10 a head, the standard 3 courses with bread and wine. We had one bottle for our table of four and bought another at E5. Great homemade veggie soup and fish. I opted out of brekky and took it 3kms down the road.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wonder how a pilgrim from say 500 years ago would have commented on this thread??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wonder how a pilgrim from say 500 years ago would have commented on this thread??

The 16th century Camino was also quite touristified, and many of the Pilgrim routes had become occasions for religious tourism, from the late 15th Century onwards. Infrastructures such as roads etc were all being modernised, and the first public transport companies had been established, so that it likely would not have been difficult to do one's Camino by coach.

OTOH various puritanical reformers as well as some orthodox churchmen were condemning pilgrimages as being superstitious and useless, detracting from "true" religion and spirituality, whilst various civil authorities were starting to try and stamp them out as causes for vagabondage and beggary, and facilitators of draft dodging.

The Church was also in the midst of the Protestant Schism, so that the pilgrims of the time were under an entire extra level of extra scrutiny at the religious refugios of the time. Not to mention the warfare, including in the French South West and Navarre.

It's hard to say anyway how such a pilgrim would have commented, but walking the Camino had become as complex then compared to earlier times as it is now compared to the early 1990s and earlier, so that these expressions of difficulties and reports of unhappy changes would not have been entirely unfamiliar ...

Last edited:
I'm still hoping for some first-hand reports on the effect that this new situation is having on people ...

I think the hotel does. Mostly, people are referred to the bar/restaurant. These are all owned by the Monastery in any case ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be there on the 18th of May! (If I make over the Pyrenees that is!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Throughout the day, a multitude of walkers come from different parts of the country and the continent, approach the place to get one of the beds before having to leave without one. During the early hours of the day, it seems easy to get one. At the end of the day, the situation changes.

So those starting at Roncesvalles are getting a better deal than those walking from SJPP ? Or that's what this sounds like ...

Thanks for the info anyway

Has anyone had trouble making a reservation for the Roncesvalles albergue? I've tried two different cards, my mom tried two of her cards; all were rejected. I know my bank is not blocking it as I called them to check. Hoping my email contact with them might help...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anyone know what happened to the 900? Were they eventually dispersed into the local community or were they shipped back to their country of origin in some sort of repatriation deal?

And does anyone know why the reduction of some 70-80 (overspill) beds in Roncevalles has caused such ructions? Was it just a May Bank Holiday traffic jam? Is anyone in Roncevalles tonight listening to their breathing echoing in the vast emptiness or has the over-demand continued?

I have just tried to book a bed for tomorrow and succeeded.

Does anyone know what happened to the 900? Were they eventually dispersed into the local community or were they shipped back to their country of origin in some sort of repatriation deal?

And does anyone know why the reduction of some 70-80 (overspill) beds in Roncevalles has caused such ructions? Was it just a May Bank Holiday traffic jam? Is anyone in Roncevalles tonight listening to their breathing echoing in the vast emptiness or has the over-demand continued?

I have just tried to book a bed for tomorrow and succeeded.

Yes , apparently there was a movie being shot in the area of SJPP and they were using 900 extras who were mistaken for pilgrims. - One Member posted 'FREE THE SJPP 900!!' and so the panic was born.

Hi, I took everyone's advice and booked a bed in Roncesvalles for May 24, but now I am worried that perhaps I missed this "final confirmation" step in the booking process. Would you be able to explain to me what that step is so I can be sure I didn't miss it? thank you so much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
temporary problem.

Nico. John Briscoe here from the Australian Pilgrims on the Camino FB group. Can you let us know how the accommodation situation is going?

Hi everyone, I sent another email to the Albergue de Roncesvalles to confirm my reservation because I was so unsure and they sent back an email saying my reservation is confirmed!!!! Thank you for all your updates.

I just want to add that I am getting really nervous because I wanted this trip to be "non-planned" and a departure from my normal wanting to control everything and fearful state of mind--I wanted to just relax and "go with the flow" and now I'm so nervous because I'm thinking that I have to book every night in advance and I hadn't planned to do that. But, this morning am feeling better. Do you think it's crazy just to hope for the best after Roncesvalles and not book anything else? I would like to walk till I'm tired and then stop somewhere. Is that a stupid idea knowing how crowded it is getting? Thank you for your thoughts. (60-year old woman walking alone)

Do you think it's crazy just to hope for the best after Roncesvalles and not book anything else? I would like to walk till I'm tired and then stop somewhere. Is that a stupid idea knowing how crowded it is getting? Thank you for your thoughts. (60-year old woman walking alone)

It gets slightly better after Pamplona and a lot better after Logroño. Then worse again after, subsequently, Astorga, Ponferrada, O Cebreiro, and Sarria. Leon and Burgos are hotspots, because they are stages where cyclists and those either starting or finishing there form a bigger crowd than usual with those walking the whole way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone else received this message when trying to book? "la fecha indicada está fuera de temporada"

Tried several times to reserve for Sat May 6th, but struck out. I could understand if it was full, but "out of season"??

Has anyone else received this message when trying to book? "la fecha indicada está fuera de temporada"

Tried several times to reserve for Sat May 6th, but struck out. I could understand if it was full, but "out of season"??
yes, i got that message also, but go back to the calendar and play around with it. when i checked the calendar, it had a weird date set, so i tried it a couple more times and eventually it did work.

yes, i got that message also, but go back to the calendar and play around with it. when i checked the calendar, it had a weird date set, so i tried it apcouple more times and eventually it did work.
I had the same experience and eventual the calendar worked and I've paid and received confirmation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had the same experience and eventual the calendar worked and I've paid and received confirmation.

I keep getting this message as well. I am trying to book it for Aug 11 2017, and no matter what i try, I keep getting the same message. I have tried "playing around with the calendar" like 30x now, and still nothing. What exactly did you do? I have tried other dates as well, June 12, Aug 12 etc, and all the same.
We have time, so I'll keep an eye on it, maybe it will work tomorrow.
Thanks!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I keep getting this message as well. I am trying to book it for Aug 11 2017, and no matter what i try, I keep getting the same message. I have tried "playing around with the calendar" like 30x now, and still nothing. What exactly did you do? I have tried other dates as well, June 12, Aug 12 etc, and all the same.
We have time, so I'll keep an eye on it, maybe it will work tomorrow.
Thanks!
When I first tried the calendar was not presenting the correct day, month, year. If I remember properly it was "ghosting" part of the date iutside the calendar box. I then got that Spanish message saying that I couldn't book for that date. I also thought it was too early and tried different dates. Once the calendar showed the correct format, it accepted, sent request for payment and an email confirmation of booking and payment. Good luck

Are there any more updates from Roncesvalles?
Hopefully people are now being told before leaving St Jean that beds are limited.

Has anyone had trouble making a reservation for the Roncesvalles albergue? I've tried two different cards, my mom tried two of her cards; all were rejected. I know my bank is not blocking it as I called them to check. Hoping my email contact with them might help...

So, now I got the calendar properly displaying dates finally, after refreshing the page several times. But now I seem to be stuck at the payment portion of it. Its like an online obstacle course.. It keeps denying my payment info. I have tried other cards, I have called my card company to make sure they are not blocking it. They didn't see or know about anything. Any advice? I'll keep trying I guess.
cheers,

So, now I got the calendar properly displaying dates finally, after refreshing the page several times. But now I seem to be stuck at the payment portion of it. Its like an online obstacle course.. It keeps denying my payment info. I have tried other cards, I have called my card company to make sure they are not blocking it. They didn't see or know about anything. Any advice? I'll keep trying I guess.
cheers,

Any luck figuring out the payment issue? I'm having the same problem.

This is exactly what happened to me last night. I could show that I had paid and I had a confirmation number but no email so bad luck: they absolutely would not budge.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back