• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Latest Status of Beds in Roncessvalles

John Chin

Time of past OR future Camino
camino Frances, camino Portuguese
While I was on camino Portuguese in May, someone mentioned that the Colegiata Albergue in Roncesvalles was downsized as a result of potential fire hazards. What is the current capacity, short term plans, and plan for spring 2018?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Colegiata Albergue in Roncesvalles still has 257 beds: 183 beds in the renovated part of the building, 40 beds in the basement and 34 beds in the so called 'winter albergue'.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The most recent update I heard -from quit close to the heat- is that there are still enough beds in general. It seems like there are a littles less pilgrims passing Roncesvalles. Indeed the overflow is closed.

Kanga, I returned from Roncesvalles last week after working there for two weeks as a hospitalero and I definitely know how many beds we cleaned in the morning after a busy night ;-)
257 beds it is and will be during the next months. Not more, but certainly not less .....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know HOW many beds they have, but when I passed through last season, they were turning away pilgrims because they were full.
And those exhausted pilgrims had no choice but to get a taxi and find their own beds elsewhere.
So I strongly suggest people reserve their bed.
It is easy and you pay via Paypal.

I have reserved at Roncesvalles in Sept. My understanding is this is no longer shoulder season, but as busy a month as most.

One question, I am having some of my things transported, do they drop off at the albergue? Or elsewhere?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the number of beds available in the Roncesvalles albergue and quoted by @Ianinam is correct, ie way above 200 beds but below 300 beds (unlike in previous years where it was 300+) because the "camp" with 88 beds is closed since spring 2017. I note that @Ianinam was a Dutch hospitalera in Roncesvalles in 2015 and assume she has access to their newsletter and other up to date info about the actual situation.

There was a recent article in Diario de Navarra which gave the view of the regional administration: there are no accommodation problems for pilgrims in the Roncesvalles area because there are about 500 beds available within a radius of 7 or 9 kilometers and they are never fully occupied; also 94 in Valcarlos, 350 in Roncesvalles [this includes the hotel beds], 165 in Burguete, 330 in Espinal, 170 in Viscarret. The influx of pilgrims during the 1st of May "bridge" weekend could be absorbed with the help of the shuttle services offered by the local taxis, according to these statements.
Hola Katharina - would you please explain how you came by the figure of 330 beds in Espinal! Brierley lists 48 (in the two albergue). Yes I am sure there may be other "unlisted" B & Bs (casa rurals etc) but if this information is not easily accessible then the average pilgrim will not be aware of this. When I reached Roncesvalles on May 2 (this year) the 183 limit was being strictly enforced. In fact it was being so strictly enforced that pilgrims were only being admitted in numerical order. Hence my decision to share a taxi down to Espinal - showered and changed and having a beer before 14.00 (the time Roncesvalles starting admitting). Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have reserved at Roncesvalles in Sept. My understanding is this is no longer shoulder season, but as busy a month as most.

One question, I am having some of my things transported, do they drop off at the albergue? Or elsewhere?

They now leave packs at the albergue. The people at the albergue will put it in a special room, and you'll have to ask to retrieve it.

Sorry, I thought I had made it clear in my post that it was a direct (translated) quote from the linked article of 2 July 2017 in the Diario de Navarra. The statement was given by el vicepresidente del Gobierno, Manu Ayerdi, responsable del área de Turismo, en una reciente comparecencia parlamentaria.

Thanks for the explanation, but if I had understood your quotation I would not have needed to pose the question. My Spanish is insufficient to make real sense of the linked article, so I still do not know where these 300 beds in Espinal are - the village in no way appear large enough to accommodate anything like this number.
Still as I will not be returning to the Frances (as a walking pilgrim) anytime soon it is not something that will worry me - but may worry others planning their pilgrimages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed there in late April 2017 and I was put in the "old" area now reserved as an overflow section. I paid 8 euros compared to the 12 euros people paid in the renovated area.

Unfortunately it was completely full and others had to go to Burguete to find a bed. One person who had to go to Burguete for a bed told me that late comers there found no beds in Burguete and were forced to continue on looking for beds elsewhere. I can't confirm this however.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

It's my understanding that the busiest months are May and September.

An update from someone who is a hospitalero in Roncesvalles now: at this moment there are enough beds.
August will be more busy, don't know what the situation will be by then off course.

A reason might be what Fraluchi writes about the june statistics:

The overall increase of starters from Sarria, as compared to last year, was 17% whereas for the total Camino Frances it was “only” 5%.
Walkers who had started from Saint Jean Pied de Port, Roncesvalles and Pamplona actually reduced by 3% compared to the same semester in 2016.

See: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-arrivals-statistics-1st-semester-2017.49107/

I stayed in Roncesvalles on the 5th May and was glad that I had booked ahead as they were turning pilgrims away by late afternoon.

€46,-
New
I stayed in Roncesvalles on the 6th June and was glad that I had booked ahead as well, it was full in the afternoon.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back