• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Launch of Irish Famine Way route

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Cycled from Clonmacnoise in Ireland, France, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre.
The Irish Heritage Trust and Strokestown Park house are launching the National Famine Way walking trail with a six-day 167 km walk from Strokestown to Dublin from May 25th to May 30th 2019. The route follows the Royal canal from the Shannon river to Dublin.

This is to remember the 1490 people who walked from Strokestown to embark on emigrant ships in Dublin in May 1847. A large number of these people died either on the ships from Liverpool or on arrival in the fever sheds at Grosse Isle in Quebec.

The National Famine Way is a digitally and physically waymarked 167km walking trail that connects the National Famine Museum in Strokestown Park, Co. Roscommon, with Rowan Gillespie’s Famine memorial on Custom House Quay in Dublin along the banks of the Royal Canal. It allows walkers to follow in the footsteps of the 1,490 tenants who were forced to emigrate from Strokestown to Canada on some of the worst of the coffin ships during the summer of 1847.

More information on the route :
More information on the harrowing story of the 1490 :

The route is beautiful, through the fields, bogs and woods of Ireland. In today's world, with 58.5 million forcibly displaced people, it's important to remember and honour these victims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Irish Heritage Trust and Strokestown Park house are launching the National Famine Way walking trail with a six-day 167 km walk from Strokestown to Dublin from May 25th to May 30th 2019. The route follows the Royal canal from the Shannon river to Dublin.

This is to remember the 1490 people who walked from Strokestown to embark on emigrant ships in Dublin in May 1847. A large number of these people died either on the ships from Liverpool or on arrival in the fever sheds at Grosse Isle in Quebec.

The National Famine Way is a digitally and physically waymarked 167km walking trail that connects the National Famine Museum in Strokestown Park, Co. Roscommon, with Rowan Gillespie’s Famine memorial on Custom House Quay in Dublin along the banks of the Royal Canal. It allows walkers to follow in the footsteps of the 1,490 tenants who were forced to emigrate from Strokestown to Canada on some of the worst of the coffin ships during the summer of 1847.

The route is beautiful, through the fields, bogs and woods of Ireland. In today's world, with 58.5 million forcibly displaced people, it's important to remember and honour these victims.
Funnily enough, on Tuesday, rushing to get to my volunteer work, I saw the logo of same, on a piece of street furniture. The photo I took didn’t come out well, but thanks for giving the reason i saw it. I tried to figure out that walk last summer, but it defeated me, from accommodation point of view. Instead I walked down along the River Barrow.
I hope it will be easier to do the walk after wards, as I can’t manage it this time... Thanks so much for posting.

Very interesting. Thanks for the post!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks Gerry,
Best time of the year to do?
What accommodation is available on the way? Is it hostel style or b&b/ pubs?
Regards
Mark

It's not a difficult route, on the canal towpath almost all the way. If you don't mind occasional rain Spring, Summer or Autumn should be fine. Winter is doable too if you are happy to deal with the short days.
There are lots of hostels in Dublin. Everywhere else it's pubs or B&B.

Hi Gerry, this is very interesting, thank you. Is there any information to be found on the first section from Strokestown to Clondra - is it mapped or waymarked or on/off-road? I did a google but couldn't see anything. I might actually be able to join in on the 25th.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

May 30th, Thursday,. would love to be there at the famine Statues. Too bad the cycle path is not yet finished, but if at all possible I will be there if any idea of time is produced...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Adding this to my "future walks" list. My mom's Irish were famine immigrants, although to the U.S., not to Canada, and it would be a lovely way to honor their memory.

Wonderful to honour these poor souls! Thanks for drawing people's attention to it! Davina

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for this item. I would love to walk this route and will start researching it further. In addition to getting to visit Ireland for a good walk this appeals to me because my great grandparents emigrated from Ireland to the US in 1847. Though they may not have walked this particular route it will be inspiring to think that the might have.

Hello all,
I walked this way last week following these stages and with all accommodation reserved on booking.com

0. Dublin/Ballina bus to Strokestown (Westgate B&B)
1/. 18km to Termonbarry (Keenan's hotel)
2/. 35km to Abbeyshrule (Abbeyview B&B)
3/. 28km to Mullingar (Annebrook House Hotel)
4/. 29km to Clonard (3/4km off the way) (Clonard B&B)
5/. 31km to Maynooth (Maynooth University Campus accommodation)
6/. 26km to Dublin (my house)

Highly recommended walk, any questions ask away.

Accommodation costs? And would tenting be possible?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,
I walked this way last week following these stages and with all accommodation reserved on booking.com

0. Dublin/Ballina bus to Strokestown (Westgate B&B)
1/. 18km to Termonbarry (Keenan's hotel)
2/. 35km to Abbeyshrule (Abbeyview B&B)
3/. 28km to Mullingar (Annebrook House Hotel)
4/. 29km to Clonard (3/4km off the way) (Clonard B&B)
5/. 31km to Maynooth (Maynooth University Campus accommodation)
6/. 26km to Dublin (my house)

Highly recommended walk, any questions ask away.
Thank you for providing all these details. My preferred walking per day is between 20-25km. Can your stages be shortened and still have accomodations available?

Accommodation costs? And would tenting be possible?

Accommodation was pricey, from €60 - 100 per night/ single occupancy (booking.com prices). A Google search might produce other accommodation options along the way. An experienced and discreet wildcamper could manage it for sure but no official campsites that I could find.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

my ancestors on my mother's side are from Donegal. The scars from the years of hunger are still apparent. Thank you for your post.

samarkand

Thank you for providing all these details. My preferred walking per day is between 20-25km. Can your stages be shortened and still have accomodations available?

Re. Possible alternative accommodation (you would have to do a Google search for phone numbers)

Before Mullingar:
In Cloondara, a few km after Termonbarry, there's the Richmond Inn. Between there and Abbeyshrule there's a couple of options in Ballymahon (Cooney's hotel and Skelly's guesthouse). But between Abbeyshrule and Mullingar there's nothing en route. You could organise a pick-up and drop off with your Mullingar accommodation to shorten a stage or two.

After Mullingar:
Mary Lynches pub at McNeads bridge had a sign outside saying B&B accommodation available. Then the lady in Cunningham's shop and bar (signposted from the canal) at the Heatherstown Bridge said she does air B&B by prior arrangement. I only stayed in Clonard because there was no accommodation in the official stage end of Longwood. But you could stay in Kinnegad and arrange a pick up/drop off to/from there. In Moy valley there's a hotel and then a couple of options south of the m4 before Enfield (Johnstown Estate) as well as a B&B on the way into Kilcock. But once you reach Enfield the canal runs coincides with the Western suburban train line which you can then use to go back and forward and reach accommodation between Enfield and Dublin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
whats the marking like on this route? also are there many services in-between for food etc?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.