• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Laundry advice

Time of past OR future Camino
I have 1 item I would like advice on:
1. Laundry detergent--clothes are washed almost daily and for two people hiking 14 days, that will be approximately 26 separate sinks of clothes. I found a possible light weight solution. Has anyone had any experience with Travelon laundry soap sheets? They come in a little, extremely light container of 50. I do understand that for a sink load I would need to use possibly four or five sheets at a time.
TIA

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are washing machines all the way across the Camino now.
If you use a washer, soap is almost always provided.
If you are hand washing, you can buy a bar of Fels Naptha or some other clothes washing bar, and cut it into halves or thirds to carry. You can also buy something similar in Spain.
Here is an older post I wrote on this topic:

I use a single bar of ordinary hand soap (that I've tested beforehand to see if I like it) for washing my hair, body, and clothes. Once every week or two I use a laundromat, where the detergent is supplied in the machine.

I tried some soap sheets once and found them very unsatisfactory, so be sure to test them beforehand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1. Laundry detergent--clothes are washed almost daily and for two people hiking 14 days, that will be approximately 26 separate sinks of clothes. I found a possible light weight solution. Has anyone had any experience with Travelon laundry soap sheets? They come in a little, extremely light container of 50. I do understand that for a sink load I would need to use possibly four or five sheets at a time.
TIA
My laundry bag has evolved over 6 Caminos. I used Washeze for the first 3, switched to these other two brands to save contributing to the local landfills. Washeze has the soap on a plastic webbed sheet so there is trash left behind, the other 2 dissolve with water contact (have dry hands to reach in and grab one). As these are all for a full wash load, I cut them in 1/4s and put them in a zip lock bag to carry. I used one sheet (1/4 of original) per sink load. Generally, I did pants alone in a "load" because of the trail dirt. I do the wash loads first, then combine the pieces for the rinsing "loads". I stay in private rooms with bath attached--and have learned a great cheat---(laundry before showering) use the bathmat to roll the laundry after having rung the water out---this gets more moisture out and ensures they are dry by morning. Then, I use the bathmat as a bathmat---never too wet to be useful. Besides these soap sheets, my laundry set includes: 2 folding hangars and my bungee cord--it seems to always be able to wrap around chairs/bedposts, shower heads/doorknobs/window levers/etc. to be able to work well---the suction ended ones never worked for me. HTH. 1681579400882.png1681579215714.png1681579266894.png1681579343234.png1681579386943.png

Attachments

• 1681579387125.png
    1681579387125.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
TIA
While I understand the convenience of the all-in-one washers at laundromats, I am disappointed that they all seem to have additives by which I mean fragrance and other odds and ends, including fabric softener. The tags on some of my clothing say not to use these additives. That fact, plus I cannot abide unnatural fragrance, keeps me from using the machines at laundromats. I do chop off a small chunk from a Zote bar (Mexican laundry soap bar), and wash as needed in a sink.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are hand washing, you can buy a bar of Fels Naptha or some other clothes washing bar, and cut it into halves or thirds to carry. You can also buy something similar in Spain.

Thank you very much! This is very helpful.

I found Walmart has this Fels Naptha soap and only $1.2. I'm going to get it tomorrow.

I have always traveled - on the Camino and everywhere - with a small container of concentrated, low sudsing, powdered laundry detergent. I find a plastic screw top container works much better than a messy plastic bag. It stays contained and completely dry, even with wet hands. You can see it’s very small; when full it weighs about 2 ounces/50 grams. It’s all my husband and I needed on the CF for 30+ days last year, though we did use machines or laundry services pretty often. I only use an about a half teaspoon/2.5 ml per basin of hand washing. It’s gentle but does a good job. I like it much better than bar soap or any of the other things people have mentioned.

The second photo shows the rest of my laundry kit: a mesh pouch (again much better than plastic), a handful of clothespins, and a kitchen scrubby sponge, cut in half. It weighs almost nothing and is useful for spot cleaning and removing mud from pants and boots. That’s it. If necessary, I can always improvise a clothesline or some way to hang things.
A1DADBD2-2B53-4F65-9469-105787DBC34E.jpegA5A54379-53E0-4320-949B-8228CC8FC17F.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

My previous wanderings have not been on popular routes, although I will soon be braving the crowds. I am usually washing my clothes in a bucket or a sink. If a machine is available I will use it.
What you might like to try is a habit that my (now) wife and I have developed on those less popular ways:- if we see a lundromat in a town or villiage we grab a large coffee to go and then take everything out of our packs that can be washed, put on our volumous poncho, and completely disrobe underneath. It's even more fun if there are other patrons in the place. The looks on peoples faces when they come in and see our bare legs poking out from under a poncho make the 1.5 hour delay worth while. 🤣

We tried the Travelon sheets and you did need several for a load. The biggest drawback was trying to pull out a sheet with slightly wet hands. We switched back to Sea To Summit Wilderness Wash, which we’ve used on backpacking/camping trips for years. One capful for a sink load.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We tried the Travelon sheets and you did need several for a load. The biggest drawback was trying to pull out a sheet with slightly wet hands. We switched back to Sea To Summit Wilderness Wash, which we’ve used on backpacking/camping trips for years. One capful for a sink load.
I too am a fan of Wilderness Wash. I believe I used the 50 ml size on the CF and still had some left over. I try to hand wash most days, except when I get lazy for a couple of days and know that there's bound to be a washer/dryer up ahead (in which case I used whatever detergent was available). With Wilderness Wash being water-based, I can't help but think that the sheets and powders could be a lighter-weight solution, but at 50 ml I didn't sweat that too much.

Funny story: At one albergue I encountered a sweet hospitalero who was eager to do my laundry for me. After a long walking day, I couldn't say no. After dinner that evening she gave me back everything folded and in perfect order ... except my pants with the zip-off legs. After an extended stay in a hot dryer, they were not quite short enough to be considered plus fours, but could certainly pass for capris. :)

I haven’t been able to find the bar laundry soap in Spain - but the photos you posted might help. I am also trying to find a bar of scented soap suitable for body and hair.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use Breezeo, too. I let everything soak in a dry bag and agitate it once in awhile. (Long soaking is the key to getting everything clean). Breezeo doesn't suds up or make a lot of foam so one rinse is usually enough. I spot treat with a few drops of Dawn detergent (which I also use as shampoo) or hand sanitizer.

Dr. Bronner’s bar soap works great for clothes, hair, body. 1 bar lasted a month. Walmart & Amazon carry it, less than $5/bar. I tried it at home without using conditioner but found I really needed some on the Camino

TIA
I have had success by using a small bottle of liquid Tide . It’s surprising how little you need for a basin of washing, don’t use too much or it’s hard to rinse . I had a 5-6 oz bottle and never ran out , even sharing with others

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a bit of my shampoo to wash clothes. They came out very clean, even managed to get out a wine stain from a leaky cup at the wine fountain. Shampoo also worked well for washing my body in the shower. It solved the problem dealing with messy bars of soap. Many albergues sell small bottles of shampoo for a Euro or so. Just a little bit is all you need for washing clothes.

I used a bit of my shampoo to wash clothes. They came out very clean, even managed to get out a wine stain from a leaky cup at the wine fountain. Shampoo also worked well for washing my body in the shower. It solved the problem dealing with messy bars of soap. Many albergues sell small bottles of shampoo for a Euro or so. Just a little bit is all you need for washing clothes.
I agree! Shampoo works really well for hand washing, and the harsher, cheap stuff sold in albergues or free in budget hotels is particularly good at it. (Fancy hotels often have fancier toiletries.) Personally, I prefer to use other things on my hair and body, but for my stinky and sweaty clothes, no problem.

Although it means carrying a tiny bit of liquid, I think this would work well for the Camino. Check those bottles for how well they seal up. Some are probably not reliable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree! Shampoo works really well for hand washing, and the harsher, cheap stuff sold in albergues or free in budget hotels is particularly good at it. (Fancy hotels often have fancier toiletries.) Personally, I prefer to use other things on my hair and body, but for my stinky and sweaty clothes, no problem.

Although it means carrying a tiny bit of liquid, I think this would work well for the Camino. Check those bottles for how well they seal up. Some are probably not reliable.
I found shampoo doesn’t rinse out very well

TIA
I just used plain water. Not like I spent time working on car engines or playing in mud. Water was sufficient.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just use a shampoo bar for hair, body, laundry. It works great for handwashing. For machine washing - soap is usually provided. And machines in laundry mats have it pre-loaded. I bought the laundry sheets - but decided to just leave them at home. Didn't miss them.

Use less. Whatever detergent I use when hand washing, I use very little. It doesn’t have to make suds. Seems to work just as well, and it rinses out much more easily.
That's why I like the Breezeo laundry detergent strips - they get the clothes clean without making a lot of suds that you have to rinse, and rinse, and rinse. I bring enough strips to handwash my clothes daily, and they weigh about an ounce.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I usually use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap while on the Camino for everything; hair, body, and clothes. Even cheapie Suave shampoo has worked for everything. As long as it lathers up I am fine, and I do not have color treated hair to be concerned about.
I also prefer to hand wash my clothes rather than seeking out laundromats; I think it takes less time and is kind of a fun novelty.

I don't take soap for washing my clothes. Sometimes I use shampoo ( if I did not forget it in the bathroom the day before) Most days I wash my walking clothes just in water just to get the transpiration out ( I use a "washing bag") once in a while I use a washing machine.

Back