• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Laundry: concrete washboard sink or regular bathroom sink?

travelinchick007

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June (2020)
So I haven't really been able to find an answer to this so I figured I'd try here. When you're washing your clothes at the end of your day, is it just in the bathroom sink, or is it the concrete washboard sinks I'm used to in Central America? Here's a picture for reference:
100_6386-1.JPG

Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will find alot of these sinks indeed on the Camino , some are concrete, most will be porcelain.
If not available the hospitalero/a will let you use the normal bathroom sink.

I hear people brag about washing their clothes while tramping on them in the shower. I personally find this disgusting and very inconsiderate towards other pilgrims.

Buen Camino and happy preparations!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will find alot of these sinks indeed on the Camino , some are concrete, most will be porcelain.
If not available the hospitelero/a will let you use the normal bathroom sink.

I hear people brag about washing their clothes while tramping on them in the shower. I personally find this disgusting and very inconsiderate towards other pilgrims.

Thank you! I'm planning on going May 2020 and I just can't wait! I've read the different suggestions from people stepping on their clothes in the shower and it just doesnt make sense to me lol

Thank you! I'm planning on going May 2020 and I just can't wait! I've read the different suggestions from people stepping on their clothes in the shower and it just doesnt make sense to me lol

Its called multi tasking and as every thing is being washed away cannot understand how it can be considered disgusting or inconsiderate. As you are saving water also I find this to be considerate! Best solution for me anyway in my advanced years is a cheap room in cheap hotel etc where I can use whatever system is acceptable to me and owner! :)

Buen camino

The Malingerer.

Its called multi tasking and as every thing is being washed away cannot understand how it can be considered disgusting or inconsiderate. . . . .

Buen camino

The Malingerer.

It is disgusting because of the bacterial film that ends up on the floor of a shower, along with urine, blood, spit and mucus, body oils, soap films and all other manner of nasties. There is a reason why shower floors are cleaned every day with sanitizers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Its called multi tasking and as every thing is being washed away cannot understand how it can be considered disgusting or inconsiderate. As you are saving water also I find this to be considerate! Best solution for me anyway in my advanced years is a cheap room in cheap hotel etc where I can use whatever system is acceptable to me and owner! :)

Buen camino

The Malingerer.
So you've never had to queue, hot and sweaty, for the shower while somebody washes their clothes and depletes the hot water supply? Lucky old you.

It is disgusting because of the bacterial film that ends up on the floor of a shower, along with urine, blood, spit and mucus, body oils, soap films and all other manner of nasties. There is a reason why shower floors are cleaned every day with sanitizers.
You forgot Legionnaire's disease . . .

Its called multi tasking
It's multitasking in the sense that scratching your **** while eating a bocadillo is multitasking.
Another way to describe it is "taking longer to shower, using more hot water, filling the shower trap with clothing fibers, and failing to get your clothes clean because you've only tramped them with your feet on a dirty surface."
You forgot Legionnaire's disease . . .
As long as you dry your clothes, I wouldn't expect washing them in the shower to increase the risk of Legionnaire's. AFAIK, legionella doesn't survive long on dry surfaces and most cases of transmission are through contaminated water - whether inhaled or drunk. Or do you mean that washing clothes in the shower will make an environment in the shower for Legionella to thrive? I'd like to learn more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anybody ever seen one of the village wash houses being used? Ever? They still build them because I've seen relatively modern ones constructed from concrete

View attachment 61673

I like the ergonomics - see the way the stones are set so you can get your knees under them?
It's multitasking in the sense that scratching your **** while eating a bocadillo is multitasking.
Another way to describe it is "taking longer to shower, using more hot water, filling the shower trap with clothing fibers, and failing to get your clothes clean because you've only tramped them with your feet on a dirty surface."

As long as you dry your clothes, I wouldn't expect washing them in the shower to increase the risk of Legionnaire's. AFAIK, legionella doesn't survive long on dry surfaces and most cases of transmission are through contaminated water - whether inhaled or drunk. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the originally identified case of legionnaire's disease was as a result of bacteria in a shower drain wafting upwards. The hot shower was, in effect, acting as an aerosol and spraying the victims (members of an American Legion group hence the name) and infecting their lungs.
You can also get it in air conditioning ducts where water can collect.

So I haven't really been able to find an answer to this so I figured I'd try here. When you're washing your clothes at the end of your day, is it just in the bathroom sink, or is it the concrete washboard sinks I'm used to in Central America? Here's a picture for reference:
View attachment 61671

Thanks!
it depends a lot on where you stay, I saw plenty of similar washing sinks in municipal and larger albergues, but in hostals and other private accommodation you often have to make do with the sink basin - and sometimes that can be small.
Occasionally there is a machine- either coin, or operated by the owners for a fee. You are also likely to find a washing line in albergues, in other accommodation you sometimes need to be a bit creative with sticks etc.
I always like to find an outside line if I can, but I guess that only works if it doesnt rain

I bring a dry bag with me to the shower for my dirty clothes. I use the dry bag to wash my clothes after I shower. I soap up my wash cloth before leaving the shower, and put it in the dry bag with my clothes. I add some additional soap if necessary. I fill the dry bag about 1/2 full of water, and seal it shut. Then, I agitate the bag back and forth (right hand, left hand). The agitation is not the same as a washing machine, but is reasonably effective. I do this for about 2 minutes. The agitation can be repeated if necessary.

Then, I drain the bag, and squeeze out the dirty water while the clothes are still in the bag. I fill the bag about 1/2 full of water, and repeat the agitation for about 2 minutes to rinse. I usually repeat the rinse.

Afterward, I drain the clothes and wring out any excess water. I will then roll my clothes inside of my towel, and wring them out again. This is very effective at removing excess water to decrease the drying time. You could also whirl the clothes overhead in a circle like a centrifuge if there is room. 👣 :D :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or you could adopt this solution. Following the idea that everything you carry ought to be multi-usage then how about:
bowls.jpg

Do your laundry, soak your feet, tread grapes and make wine, pretend to be a Ninja Mutant Turtle, sail across rivers when the stepping stones are submerged . . .

I bring a dry bag with me to the shower for my dirty clothes. I use the dry bag to wash my clothes after I shower. I soap up my wash cloth before leaving the shower, and put it in the dry bag with my clothes. I add some additional soap if necessary. I fill the dry bag about 1/2 full of water, and seal it shut. Then, I agitate the bag back and forth (right hand, left hand). The agitation is not the same as a washing machine, but is reasonably effective. I do this for about 2 minutes. The agitation can be repeated if necessary.

Then, I drain the bag, and squeeze out the dirty water while the clothes are still in the bag. I fill the bag about 1/2 full of water, and repeat the agitation for about 2 minutes to rinse. I usually repeat the rinse.

Afterward, I drain the clothes and wring out any excess water. I will then roll my clothes inside of my towel, and wring them out again. This is very effective at removing excess water to decrease the drying time. You could also whirl the clothes overhead in a circle like a centrifuge if there is room. 👣 :D :cool:
Fold wet clothes in half; insert (clean) hiking pole into loop; twist hiking pole to wring out water; try not to get water all over your feet.

If not available the hospitelaro/a will let you use the normal bathroom sink.

I completely agree with you, Sabine! Totally disgusting and also inconsiderate to tromp on your clothes to wash them in the shower as it would take extra time to wring them out...On the other hand, hospitalers may love it as your clothes become a mop that is cleaning the floor for them! 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are washing machines now and then...
As for the concrete washboard sink, they are called "lavaderos" in Spanish. As I remember, they are more common in rural areas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've seen the lavadoras in use in a few places, but they have been replaced by the widespread availability of washing machines. While we might reflect on the solidarity and romance of communal washing, most villagers prefer just to load up the machine at their leisure.

Normally I stay in private accommodation and use the sink, unless the proprietor has other facilities; I have used lavadoras at casas rurales and albergues, and found them to be very useful in washing clothes.

I use a similar method. As I enter the shower I put my clothes into my 12 liter dry bag. I add half of a laundry detergent strip and water (not really wasting water because it's the water that flows while I'm waiting for the water to get hot). I seal up the bag and let everything soak while I shower, dress, etc. Then I agitate the bag. I take it out to the laundry sink where I do a quick rinse, which is quick because the detergent strips don't create a lot of suds, so there's not a lot of soap residue to rinse out. My clothes get cleaner with this method (and less effort) than when I just used the laundry sinks or tubs. I think that the long soaking time helps.

I had a couple of Camino friends last year who were doing the stomp on their clothes on the shower floor washing method and stopped when they got bleach stains on their clothes.

I used lavadoras (a new word for me to use!) many times last year quite happily with good results.
However more than once I found that they had been used to clean some muddy item and then just left, unfit to use because of the mud left by the previous user.
Now that's inconsiderate and disgusting and unhygienic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was originally in the multitask-tribe, washing clothing in the bottom of my shower. My travel companion, doing the same thing, blocked the drain enough to flow over the shower pan and into the El Acebo dorm. We mopped it up but the hospitalero was justifiably furious.
I no longer multitask!! Yet another camino lesson?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was originally in the multitask-tribe, washing clothing in the bottom of my shower. My travel companion, doing the same thing, blocked the drain enough to flow over the shower pan and into the El Acebo dorm. We mopped it up but the hospitalero was justifiably furious.
I no longer multitask!! Yet another camino lesson?
Try the dry bag "washing machine" method. It works great!

The first lavadero / laundry sink that I encountered was on the patio of the albergue at Rioja, Almeria. It was blocked and full of rain water with a few leaves floating around. So I rolled up my sleeves, stuck in my arms, and pulled out ... a dozen or more cigarette butts. I deposited these, along with the ones that I had picked up from the tiled floor of the patio, in the bin next to the "No smoking on the patio" sign. I know that addiction gets in the way of rational thought but, I wonder what oaf saw a deep ceramic basin with a ridged slope on one side, and plumbed in running water, in a no smoking area, and thought that it was an ashtray.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked from Paris overland back to Australia when I was 19 y.o.

Train London to Paris and then walked with two flights (I had to take - one from Mumbia to Bangkok as no one was allowed to cross the land border and the second from Singapore back home to Perth) and there were no 'facilities' on a very regular basis so I would wash, fully clothed, in streams, lakes, and rivers and then just walk. Everything dried off pretty quickly.

Sometimes needs must.

PS I see nothing wrong with cleaning clothes in a shower as I'm sure you can imagine given what I have had to do at times and I have never gotten sick from doing what I did.

PPS Stop being such wimps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A "lavadora" is a washing machine. The word for those special sinks is "lavadero". I know it's confusing. :)

It now appears that I have long misused the term while speaking to Spaniards. They did not blink an eye so I can only assumed that: 1) they think I have a terrible accent (true), or 2) a typical anglo in that we are unable to distinguish masculine from feminine and it is a wonder that we ever have children, or 3) I am using the wrong apparatus to wash my clothes.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back