• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Laundry

keilnirby

Now there's a compelling subject line.

I've done a couple summer Caminos and liked the convenience of having my clothes dry in a couple hours or hanging them off the pack like it's a traveling shop. I'm considering a March VDLP and was wondering if any of you had any tips for laundry and packing/drying wet clothes.

Cheers,

Neil

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I swear by Ecover washing up liquid. It cleans anything! We used it for our hair and bodies, for washing clothes and dishes. We only had to carry one bottle - and a little goes a long way.
Microfibre towels are excellent and well worth the expense - we had large ones and could shower, dry ourselves & hair and then twist all our washing (stamped on whilst showering - to save water and Ecover) fairly dry in them. Then a few nappy pins to attach damp washing to panniers or rucksack - and away you go! (Tip - don't take red knickers - people tend to point!)
I also had my hair cut short before I left - to save taking a brush and to use less Ecover.
If weather is bad - choose places to stop that have an open fire or radiator - or even just a window can help get stuff dry. We made a few cafes look like laundries on the way.
Unfortunately most lightweight new materials are no good in dryers - otherwise you can nearly always find a launderette in towns. At albergues offer to share a machine with someone to halve the cost (good bonding experience separating your undies!) and get the washing up drying asap.

Hecate said it all, really, but I'll add my 2 cents worth - we walked the Spanish camino in winter so drying clothes by hanging them on the outside of the pack was not a possibility. When you arrive, the absolute first job is to wash and hang your clothes on the heater. (Usually they heater only stays on for a few hours, not all night). A little twisted elastic clothes line allows you to kind of strap your clothes flat to the heater (top, front, back) to get the maximum drying effect as quickly as possible. In cold weather you don't sweat as much, especially if you are prepared to start off the day a bit cold and allow your walking to warm you up. So you can wear a set of day clothes longer without washing and a set of after-shower evening clothes for really extended periods without washing. Socks got washed every day.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks. Hadn't occurred to me that due to the cooler weather washing as frequently isn't necessary--except for the socks of course. Wouldn't want anyone to pass out.

Cheers,

Neil

My tip is to use Laundry Liquid.
I say this because on my Camino last year I went into a supermarket and picked some nice blue liquid in a bottle adjacent to the Laundry powder. I was using this liquid in the nice red bottle for over a week before a Spanish lady in one of the Albergue's asked why I was using Oven Cleaner to wash my clothes:)

Funny thing was it seemed to be doing a good job:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friends and I did something similar during a study abroad semester in Austria. We thought we were getting such a good deal by getting the lighter blue, much larger bottle that was cheaper. It was fabric softener ...

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back