• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

laundry

debbiej

After doing the "daily wash", is there a clothes line to hang our wet clothes or what? So we need to bring a line to string up?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The little clothesline falcon suggests is brilliant!
We used ours when the lines were full.

You can also make one quite easily if you go to the fabric store and purchase round elastic (1/8"), maybe about 20 feet. Then double it, and tie the ends together. Put one end over a chair top or doorknob, pull it tight but not stretched, and you twist the other end until it is so tight it begins to double up on itself. At that point, you carefully have a 2d person hold the middle, fold it in the middle and take your end to the doorknob ... tie the ends together... and let it go!

You can also try just twisting and doubling it once if you can only find 1/4" elastic rope.

We've made these many times and they work great! You can put caribiners or other clips on the ends. You don't need clothespins with these. You just stick the corners of your clothes up into the elastic and it holds it tightly.

You also can take some baby diaper pins or large safety pins and pin your clothes to your backpack in the morning if they are not dry. They'll dry as you walk.

There were only 2 or 3 times we didn't find a clothesline, though.

Another tip: Pick up a bar of Naptha soap when you get to Spain and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces. Share with other pilgrims. It works best for handwashing your clothes - it's made for that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yeah! I heard of one pilgrim who'd wear their clothes into the shower, soap them up, take them off and put in a ziplock, then finish washing after the shower. Sounded pretty smart, really!

Many of the private albergues have washing machines and dryers, and for a few euros they will do your laundry for you. You can always share a load with other pilgrims to make the cost lower...

Jerry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Typically, the "few Euros" is 6, three for the wash and three for the dry. A couple of places would not let me use just the dryer after a rainy day; in part because the clothes might be dirty, and partly because is would halve their income!

WolverineDG said:
or save time & wash your clothes in the shower. :p Worked very well when I did it. :)

Kelly

.. but please be considerate of other pilgrims waiting for their showers (e.g., don't use more water or take more time than you would otherwise have taken)

Personally, I walked into the shower fully clothed (but pockets EMPTY!) and then stripped off, leaving the clothes to get wet & soapy as I showered. After showering, I would bundle the wet clothes in my towel and take them to the laundry sink for finishing & rinsing. I got to be pretty efficient at this.

falcon269 said:
Typically, the "few Euros" is 6, three for the wash and three for the dry. A couple of places would not let me use just the dryer after a rainy day; in part because the clothes might be dirty, and partly because is would halve their income!

I see a problem in the time "wasted" during the laundry and drying. If you hand wash your clothes, it takes to you ten minutes and after that you can have a walk or what you prefer. But, both machines can take you a couple of hourse, and you need to be there to change your clothes from one to the other ... so you can not visit the place and others.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, taking your dirties into the shower is the easiest way to clean your underwear. It takes minutes. Strip before showering and throw your underwear, socks, under shirts and bras on the floor. Wash yourself and after the soap has rinsed over your clothing all you have to do is spot wash the soiled parts. It really takes minutes.Be sure to wash all of the soap out!

I carry a suction cup hook and a small elastic line to ensure a place for drying but I have hung underwear and socks on my pack to allow the drying process to continue ;)

Nicole

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.