• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino León to Sarria

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPP-Logrono
2022 Leon-Sarria
2023 Frances
So happy to be back in Spain and back on the Camino! We- hubby and I, only have 10 days so walking León to Sarria via Samos.
Started in León today - much cooler. The heatwave has definitely broken, at least for now! Was 10°C when we started today.
Lots of liquid sunshine today. Given how dry the land looks, it definitely needs it, so calling it liquid sunshine instead of rain! 😉 Praying that Naverra is also getting it. 🙏
A lot less people than I expected, given all the posts about difficulty finding beds. We took the alternative route and currently in Villar de Mazarife at Tio Pepe. Very quiet here. The lady at the bar said there was no need to make dinner reservations because it is so quiet in the town.
I've activated my Find Penguins. I hope you can see it. Forgot to turn on the route tracking this morning 🙄

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Reflection on 4 days.
In Foncebadón tonight. We have been spending nights in small villages and enjoying the opportunity to speak Spanish. The Camino remains quieter than I expected. Restaurants/Bars have a lot of empty tables. Our hospitalier in Villares de Órbigo said that mid June to mid July is always quiet...
The last time we walked on the Camino was in 2016 (SJPP -Logroño) Sept/Oct. The differences I note are:
1. Most of the rural churches are locked this time. Today was the first time I encountered one that was open - in Rabanal del Camino. It was such a blessing to go in there, pray, reflect and absorb the beauty in the simplicity of the place. I've been missing that.
2. I love the constant singing of the birds. This was not present in the Fall Camino
3. There are a lot less pilgrims, but there appears to be more cycling pilgrims.
4. There's a lot less toilet paper littering the trail! 😀
I met a trail angel yesterday. One of my hiking poles would not tighten so we went to Deportes Huracán in Astorga to replace it. Instead of selling me a new pole, he offered to look at it and actually fixed it! Gracias! We bought some other things there as well as my husband's pack did not arrive in Spain with us and still hasn't!- a story for another time.
Tomorrow, Cruz de Ferro. I struggled with whether or not to bring a stone from home given tomorrow is only day 5, but did, to symbolically let go of my work-life stressors as I retired in Nov 2022.
Buen Camino!

I just walked León to SDC 6-22 June and loved every step! The temperatures reached the high 30°s in Villafranca del Bierzo but dropped to 15° from Palas del Rei. I had previously walked this section in 2017 and was sad to see some Albergues I had stayed in now closed, also come café bars. The bird song was magical and the stork nests magnificent - I even saw three storks busily eating in a field after a rainy night. They are the symbol of the Camino for me and I have to photograph every single one!

75B0C39F-924E-41F5-8FBE-ED6B663A741A.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So happy to be back in Spain and back on the Camino! We- hubby and I, only have 10 days so walking León to Sarria via Samos.
Started in León today - much cooler. The heatwave has definitely broken, at least for now! Was 10°C when we started today.
Lots of liquid sunshine today. Given how dry the land looks, it definitely needs it, so calling it liquid sunshine instead of rain! 😉 Praying that Naverra is also getting it. 🙏
A lot less people than I expected, given all the posts about difficulty finding beds. We took the alternative route and currently in Villar de Mazarife at Tio Pepe. Very quiet here. The lady at the bar said there was no need to make dinner reservations because it is so quiet in the town.
I've activated my Find Penguins. I hope you can see it. Forgot to turn on the route tracking this morning 🙄
Cathy I have just completed the Portuguese Camino and vowed never again, 300 km plus was indeed a challenge, however since coming home I have begun a rethink. I certainly would never walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, and don't need another compostela. So I started to think of a variation to this and like you, I now would like to walk from Leon to Sarria (not sure of the variant at this point).
I would love to hear more about this stage from you. I am also aiming for late May into June 2024. Thanks in advance.

Cathy I have just completed the Portuguese Camino and vowed never again, 300 km plus was indeed a challenge, however since coming home I have begun a rethink. I certainly would never walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, and don't need another compostela. So I started to think of a variation to this and like you, I now would like to walk from Leon to Sarria (not sure of the variant at this point).
I would love to hear more about this stage from you. I am also aiming for late May into June 2024. Thanks in advance.
Hi Ellan. Sorry about the really late response to this. Direct message me and I'd be happy to answer your questions.
Cathy

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.