• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Chemin d'Arles

lynbru

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2007), Le Puy to St Jean-Pied-de-Port (2011),Voie d'Arles/ Aragonese (2013)
Via Francengina (Italy, 2015)
Could anyone tell me where I can find a profile of the route between Arles & Somport? ie heights of the various stages. We found this information very useful last year on the Le Puy route but I can't find anything on this one.
Thanks,
Bruce & Lynne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
lynbru said:
Could anyone tell me where I can find a profile of the route between Arles & Somport? ie heights of the various stages. We found this information very useful last year on the Le Puy route but I can't find anything on this one.
Thanks,
Bruce & Lynne

Bruce and Lynne,

Here is one--http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/Images/Altitudes-VA.gif.

Taken from http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/Leschemins/leschemins.html.

Although in French the heights and profiles are self-explanatory.

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Thanks Margaret,
It doesn't look too bad until the Col de Somport!
Regards,
Bruce & lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Haute Languedoc is highly genereralized in that profile. It has some really hard sections, much tougher than crossing the Pyrenees from SJPP. The section crossing the Haute Languedoc is as tough a trail as I've seen on any chemin. West Virginia on steroids. Look it over in Google Earth. The Somport goes to a higher altitude but is just one long gradual climb.

Attachments

• ht lang.JPG
    ht lang.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 1,677
  • st g.JPG
    st g.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 1,682
  • hl2.JPG
    hl2.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,675
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can see the whole thing by going here:

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... louse.html

scroll to the bottom, and click the middle view (view all) next to the base map you want. The IGN topo is quite nice.

Peter got them here I believe.

http://viatolosana.free.fr/vt_cartes.php

I'm not sure how to extract a .kmz or .gpx file out of those, but I suspect it can be done.

When we went we found them from another source, since vanished. I have the file but I think the files above are more up to date.

If you have trouble putting together the maps or GPS files you want send me a PM and we'll get it worked out.

Hi

Yes, I found the same, but would like to convert them to a gpx format so I can place them onto a gps. Have tried a few converters, but when you unzip each file, it is saved as a kml file but the converters do not recognise them !!!

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Try this (works for me)

----------Save the 36 .kml files

---------go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

--------in output format click GPX

------upload the files (you can do several at one time)

Convert!

From here you'll get a .gpx file. I go straight into Garmin mapsource. I use copy;paste to put them all on one map, then use the track join tool to make one long track, then load that to the GPS. The GPS handles long tracks just fine, even Nice to Rome or the Great Divide Mountain bike route from Canada to Mexico.

That is a lot of info---let me know if you get stuck.

newf

Yes I managed to convert but if you look at the file on a map, it shows some faults around Toulouse and above Pau, so it does look good, but it doesn't really show how far the distance is. Are you seeing a similar thing?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ride mapping sites like mapmyride and bikeroute toaster will let you input your route and will then produce a nice interactive profile, but only for roads, I don't think it works with trails. I have got a beauty, going from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles - 25.5 kilometres rising from 170 metres to 1042 kilometres. I would attach it,but I don't know how.

Old thread, but I’m tentatively planning this one starting around Sept 10. Break the news to me gently - how tough is this one? (Ice already walked from Oloron-Ste Marie to Jaca.

I found the part between St Guilhem and Salvetat quite difficult. If you see a profile map you will know that you must walk close to 30 k every day and will be climbing and escending 700-100 k/day. The trail is sometimes very rocky, steep and slippery when wet. It is really beautiful and quiet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I kinda wish you hadn't told me that :) Oh well - it looks like that's about five stages/days. My German Rother Wanderfuehrer breaks a few of the stages down to shorter ones (not all though), and yep, it does say it can be slippery when wet. Hmmm. Are there bail out places (maybe to a road, or any gites or auberges) in a pinch along this five day stretch? Also, how's the rest of the Chemin? (Last year I joined the Chemin d'Arles in Oloron-Ste. Marie and found the stretch to Jaca via Col de Somport not bad at all (but the weather was perfect)....

You can bail by either walking the road or finding a local or taxi to drive you. You need to carry food for the day. We met only 6-8 people before getting to Toulouse. Three were Americans who Ended up road walking and taxiing much of the route. All 5 is us are in our mid 60s and I’m sure for younger people it can be a bit easier. We had one very wet and foggy day where visibility was hampered. You need to have some experience, gps and/or good map for this.
The stretch from Oloron to Jaca is more even, less bad surface and better waymarked. All in all much less of a challenge.

thanks for this!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I just posted elsewhere, it turned out that the mountain portion to Castres was much easier than I had thought it would be, and absolutely beautiful. Wouldn't have missed this for anything! The weather was perfect, but were it wet, parts of this trail could be dangerous. Counting my blessings!

Last edited:
I’m glad it worked for you. It was pretty wet when we did it. Also it was spring when we hadn’t had all summer to get used to hiking. It’s a beautiful walk.

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back