• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le-Grand-Lemps to Clonasu

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2023
The plan for this year was to walk from Le-Grand-Lemps, where I stopped in 2017, to Le-Puy-en-Velay, where I started all this in 2010. I knew temperatures in September might be warm, so I delayed travel until the middle of the month. Flew into and out of Lyon and made connections by rail with no problems. Before departure, the weather was a heat wave; I just hoped for the usual seasonal break in the temperatures. The first couple days were pleasant enough, then the heat returned (climbing 81-86-91-92 and holding there for a week). even with carrying 3 liters of water and walking shorter days, the dehydration was just debilitating. This was just too much, when combined with the shadeless afternoon road-walking sections.

So, sad to say, I stopped at Clonas, which is the last town with transit connections until Le Puy (despite rumors to the contrary in the Amis Guide). I am fond of saying that I receive a "homework assignment" from the Universe every year on my walks, and this year's assignment was obviously Self Care!

For future pilgrims: the section from Le-Cote-Saint-Andre to the Rhone, which has two different variants, has its logistical challenges. And looking at the weather forecasts, the last week of September would be a better time to start (the lower elevation area around Lyon). Details in my blog, as usual. We will see if I ever return to continue. Would love to hear from those who have done the climb up to Le Puy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So, sad to say, I stopped at Clonas, which is the last town with transit connections until Le Puy (despite rumors to the contrary in the Amis Guide). I am fond of saying that I receive a "homework assignment" from the Universe every year on my walks, and this year's assignment was obviously Self Care!

For future pilgrims: the section from Le-Cote-Saint-Andre to the Rhone, which has two different variants, has its logistical challenges. And looking at the weather forecasts, the last week of September would be a better time to start (the lower elevation area around Lyon). Details in my blog, as usual. We will see if I ever return to continue. Would love to hear from those who have done the climb up to Le Puy.

@Kitsambler , the Universe is a funny teacher: gives you the assignment first, and then the lesson! :)

We walked from La-Côte-Saint-André to Clonas in 3 stages. From St-Romain-de-Surieu, we followed the Camino markings, not the GR65 markings.

You'll definitely have to return, but when you do, don't start in Clonas, start on the other side of the bridge over the Rhône. Crossing that bridge has its challenges.
And if you do continue, may I suggest you stay at Les Sources de Lugus, with Maurice, in Veranne. He'll come and pick you up from Le Buisson. On a clear night, he'll bring out the telescope... And he has so much knowledge about local history!
We certainly enjoyed our stays in Montfaucon-en-Velay, Tence and St Jeures.

Bon chemin !

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back