• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le petit dejeurner - oui ou non ?!

fortview

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
From reading other threads and comments, it seems that there are long stretches without cafes etc, and that le weekend everything is closed. So is it worth paying 6 euros each for petit dejeurner in places where it is not included in demi pension? It seems a lot, and we'd love to hear what people think about it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Demi-pension, as I understand it, means dinner bed and breakfast. The breakfast may be only a cafe and some bread and jam or toast, but you should get something.

Demi-pension, as I understand it, means dinner bed and breakfast. The breakfast may be only a cafe and some bread and jam or toast, but you should get something.
Thank you. It seems that there are different options for DP , some include breakfast and some charge extra.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So is it worth paying 6 euros each for petit dejeurner in places where it is not included in demi pension? It seems a lot, and we'd love to hear what people think about it!

6 euros is about the normal price for breakfast (coffee, croissant and fresh juice) in a normal (not fancy) café in France. It seems a lot compared to Spain (3 euros for the same thing), but that’s what the price is in France. Be prepared to pay much more in France for everything. If you don’t have breakfast before you set out in the morning, be sure you have some snacks with you. Cafés are few and far between.
Bon chemin!
Jill

From reading other threads and comments, it seems that there are long stretches without cafes etc, and that le weekend everything is closed. So is it worth paying 6 euros each for petit dejeurner in places where it is not included in demi pension? It seems a lot, and we'd love to hear what people think about it!
In France, even in small places, cafés and boulangeries are usually open on Saturdays as per weekday times, and on Sunday mornings. The occasional alimentation will also be open on Sunday morning. It's Monday you have to worry about!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The price for breakfasts in Spain is creeping up as well. While I agree that six euro seems a lot, it is often the only morning food available in many areas. When walking in France, I usually managed a second breakfast of a cheese & ham in a baguette, or a croque monsieur about 10 or so, at the first café I came across. French truckstops were great for breakfast, should you find one. Jill's advice to carry snacks is worth heeding-- I usually packed an orange or some yogourt from the day before.

In France it is acceptable to buy your croissant at a boulangerie then go to a café to buy your coffee and eat your own croissants! Personally I feel it's bad manners to bring your own if the café has their own supply of croissants on their counter. On some occasions café staff have suggested we pop out, buy our own croissants and come back to eat in their café.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only problem with breakfast is that it is often later than I would like. No I'm not a 05:00 rustler and rattler :) but I like to start at 07:00 ish or first light. Orange juice and chocolate chip cookies usually see me though until a proper lunch. Beer and a sandwich, or more truthfully beers and a sandwich. :rolleyes:

Well, if you have the money, want it to be easy, and like to start walking late, together with everyone else... take the breakfast included in the demi pension.

Personally, I thought it was far too expensive for what you get and also preferred to start walking earlier than the French, to have a bit of alone time in the mornings (walking through the early morning fog, magical!)

You can buy a jar of confiture (can fill it into a more light weight plastic container if you want to) or some cheese, butter, instant coffee ect. to carry with you. It's not as heavy as you think. Baguette is available almost everywhere, but for sundays/mondays maybe carry an extra one just in case. Fruit cake, madelaines, hard boiled eggs, yogurt ect are also easily available options... whatever you prefer.

That way you can have a much cheaper breakfast, and at the time you want.

Your choice!

Right you are. Demi-pension means half pension. In other words, instead of room, breakfast, lunch and dinner, i.e. "pension complet", it's one main meal less.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back