• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Le Puy accessible and walkable earlier than Spanish routes?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017, 2020)
Camino Portuguese (2018)
Given the estimations that it may be summer 2021 before we American's can safely walk Camino again and that I am VERY concerned about not wanting to overwhelm the small hamlets. I was thinking about the viability of walking 12 days on the Le Puy instead of the Camino Frances. My readings and research of the Le Puy route give me the impression that is a more solitary experience (now an advantage). Just mulling this over in my mind for a Sept. 2021 trip. Thoughts?

Helen1

Camino(s) past & future
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
I think if I were planning a Sept 2021 trip to Europe from the US I would have a plan B. I get your thinking and if I were a betting person I would bet that the Le Puy is likely to be more walkable but there are so many ifs and buts and you have to get into Europe first. I hope with all my heart this is over in a year’s time but who knows.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
I agree with Helen 1 wholeheartedly. As we know "The best-laid plans of mice and men oft go awry". for sure it is way more solitary. If like me, you have no command of French beyond Bon Jour it is challenging. I walked the whole whole camino and I doubt if I met more than 4 or 5 people who spoke even rudimentary English. I can get by with Spanish pretty well but it came in handy only once or twice. Having said that I survived quite nicely. Met some wonderful pilgrims and gite owners. Ate food that would make 90% of the meals I had in Spanish restaurants (mind you I am a budget pilgrim) seem like dining at a fast food restaurant. The scenery is wonderful. Mostly retired French people walking in small groups, some Germans. I never met another American. I do not think there is any such thing as a camino family in France. You usually do not see the same people for more than a couple of days in a Gite. It is different for sure but wonderful. If you can do it you will love it.

KariC

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho portugûes (2016)
Le Puy 2021 or 2022 ??
I, too, had a "plan" to hike about that distance of Le Puy next September or October. It's been downgraded to a dream. Let's hope and pray that things will be ever so much better in the world by then.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts