• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy Accommodation - Hope this is of use

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I plan on joining the Class 2013 with a Camino which follows the Via Jacobi, Via Gebennensis, The Puy, Camino Frances and Finisterre Way caminos. I expect to walk 2,400 kms in total.

In preparation for this pilgrimage I have researched numerous guides and web sites to compile a listing of accommodation for these various routes. Attached is what I have found for the Le Puy route. I thought I would share this with fellow pilgrims as it may be of value to new and perhaps veteran pilgrims alike.

The spreadsheet is a first attempt and as such will be updated as I learn more. My intention is to likely focus more on private or shared stays in small hotels, pensions or other private accommodation.

You will note that the name of the establishment is highlighted in green where I have found a positive review (link has been included). I am very interested in hearing from anyone who:

Will share a positive experience on any accommodation listed or other if missing

Can provide a missing website address

Notices an error

Depending on feedback received I will republish the listing at a later date or not.

As the title says “Hope this is of use”.

Many thanks

Guy

Attachments

• The Puy Accommodation 2012.xlsx
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,606
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, Guy- you have produced an amazing list, and I am sure lots of people could make great use of it. I am just sorry you haven't explored the Cluny route so I could 'borrow' your list myself this coming April. :) All the best for your pilgrimage.
Margaret

Hi Guy

This is absolutely amazing. I am planning to walk Le Puy to SJPP in September this year and there is so little comprehensive information in English. I will study it in great depth. Thank you for sharing.

Susie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hello Guy, I'm dreaming of walking the via gebenennsis to santiago in april 2013, I'm only just begining to research it. Thank you for the extensive list you are sharing. Have any ideas where to find accommodation guides for the route Geneva to Le Puy? By the way, what is the class 2013?
cheers, tania

Hi Tatiana,

Most of my Via Gebennensis accommodation information came from two sources...the Chemin de Saint-Jacques de Geneve au Puy-en-Velay guide book (I had 2010) which can ordered from http://www.amis-st-jacques.org and from the TopoGuides for GR65 available from http://www.ffrandonnee.fr.

So far I have found that tracking down accommodation information on the Via Gebennensis is more difficult that other routes...no doubt because it doesn't have as many pilgrims as more popular routes.

The Class of 2013 refers to pilgrims who will be undertaking a pilgrimage in 2013.

Good luck with your planning.

Guy

Dear Guy

This is great - thank you so much for posting such a comprehensive piece of research here. I will be setting off from Aire-sur-L'Adour on 9th March and having this is helping me feel much better prepared! I will be glad to try to make a note of any good/bad things about the accommodation I stay in though that will be on my return as I intend not to do too much internet related stuff as I wend my pilgrim way.

Leah

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is indeed a really amazing list! It is so complete.
To prevent injuries it is for me an important thing on camino to be able to do the right amount of kms each day. With this list in my hand I need no other guide. Thanks a lot!

Because I'm so happy with this list I also put a link to this topic on a dutch camino message board:
http://camino-de-santiago.startpagina.n ... 7,15345360
Hope it is ok for you.

I completed the walk from Le Puy to Moissac in March 2012, and these are some of my favourite places to stay.
Le Refuge at Fay is just beyond Bains. it's a perfect first night, with a personal welcome from Chantal Jouve and a lovely homely farm cottage. You can either follow the main route through St Christoph and then take the road north to Bains, or you can pick up the 'variante' near St Roche which is reckoned to be the ancient pilgrimage route. Don't worry about the official warnings mentioning this variant. You may meet a man called Alain who greets pilgrims most days with interesting information and guidance about this option. If you go to Fay, you can continue past the Lac d'Oeuf and pick up the main route the following morning.
L'Etape at Saugues - not the Gite d'Etape, but the Chambre D'Hote which is 50 metres further down the main road on the right. This is run by Christianne and Georges who are a delightfully friendly couple. Comfortable room and great food.
Gite d'Etape on the Delcros family farm at Le Falzet. This is a really comfortable gite, whether you are on your own or part of a group.
Couvent de Malet at St Come d'Olt. The refurbishment of this convent accommodation is first class, and the sisters are very welcoming. It was a joy to join them in their worship.
Abbaye Sainte Foy at Conques. Absolutely the best religious house, with a hearty welcome from the brothers. Once you have found the entrance to the pilgrim hostel (tucked away behind the abbey), it's a super base for Conques, and a real thrill to be so close to such a majestic site.
Gite Sentinelle at Saint-Roch outside Decazeville. Having avoided Decazeville if at all possible, it's lovely to share in the warmth of Brigitte's hospitality in this small converted convent on the hilltop opposite the church of Saint-Roch.
Monastere des Filles de Jesus at Vaylats. This is a huge convent site which has been largely converted into older people's accommodation. The pilgrim accommodation is basic, but it was again a privilege to worship with sisters who, though ageing themselves, have seen a lifetime of Christian service in a context which has seen enormous challenges.
The Relais des Jacobins at Cahors is a wonderful establishment run by Serge and Helene, both former pilgrims with immense sensitivity and awareness of their role as hosts. It's a very clean gite which is extremely well equipped and conveniently placed near the cathedral and town centre.
The gite a la ferme at Trigodina run by Remy Rothan is a delight. He has done a marvellous conversion of his barn. The provision of food to cook yourself works well, especially for a group.
Another favourite gite is Le Souleillou at Montcuq.You need to look out for the signposts down the wooded hillside to find this on the entrance to Montcuq. Another very clean and nicely run gite, with friendly hosts and first class food.
A similar combination is found at Les Figuiers in Lauzerte.
My final stopover was with Rom and Aideen at Ultreia in Moissac. Whether you choose the upmarket accommodation in their house or the basic gite option in the converted garage, they will give you the heartiest of Irish welcomes.
Bon Chemin!
Margaret

Thanks Margaret for this useful list. Some of the places I know, and others I don't. I'm hoping to re-walk some of the Le Puy route on my imminent trip to France, and have e-mailed your list to myself.
I am also planning to see Rom and Aideen again in Moissac. The facilities in their gite were immaculate- and their welcome was true Irish hospitality. I felt very much 'at home'.
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Definately of use Guy!

I would love to hear your final recommendations once you have completed your pilgrimage :)

Thank you. This is great. I am just starting to plan my April trip from Le Puy and this is going to help a great deal.
Carmel

Hello, I am having trouble downloading this Le Puy accommodation attachment. Is there another format perchance?

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back