• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy and on to the VDLP

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I have planned to do the Le Puy and on to Santiago on the 1st of April. I have walked the CF twice so have started to think about getting to Seville and walking the VDLP instead of the CF. T
Combining the two is a pretty good load...but interesting. Anyone do this?

My main question is how to get to Seville. I guess I would walk on to Pamplona and then get to Sevilla from there.
Flying appears to be about 350 euro or so and no direct flights from Pamplona. Bus? Train? What makes sense?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Re: Le Puy and onto the VDLP

You would need to go to Madrid and then to Seville.

Check it out here:

http://www.independentrip.com/39-espana ... 0-sevilla/

Pamplona to Madrid
Bus:
Min Time: 4:45 pm / / max: 5:45 am
min Price: € 27.66 / / max: € 32.67
Train:
Min Time: 3:03 pm / / max: 3:16 am
min Price: € 57.80
Plane:
Min Time: 0:55 pm
Price min: 135.00 € / / max: 260.00 €

Madrid to Seville

Bus:
Min Time: 6:00 pm / / max: 6:30 pm
Price min: 19.85 €
Train:
Min Time: 2:29 pm / / max: 2:45 am
min Price: € 65.30 / / max: € 83.30
Plane:
Min Time: 3:50 pm
Price min: 76.00 € / / max: € 211.00

Thanks Sil.

I am still thinking about this. Walking from Le Puy to Pamplona and then immediately going to Sevilla and walking the VDLP seems to be a good challenge. I tried to find someone else who had done this but no luck...just means my search ability is poor. :wink:
I am having a little trouble judging the time involved.
Le Puy to Pamplona 36 days? (incl 3 days SJPP to Pamplona)
Seville to Santiago ?
I haven't done either so have no personal estimate and find a lot of difference in time estimates by others.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Two years ago when my walk up the Levante joined the VdlP at Zamora, I met a pilgrim who had started on the Frances, walked most of it until it got too busy for him and then caught the bus to Salamanca and walked up the VdlP from there. He was enjoying it all,

Andy

After we arrived in Pamplona after the Vezelay route, my brother took the train to Sevilla, and walked the Via de la Plata. He took another 30 days, and did a couple of stretches on the bus. It was camino overload!

As far as a time estimate for the Le Puy - SJPP; I would estimate 6 weeks as a median time. The first week has many climbs/descents, and the distance is more than SJPP-Santiago (I believe). Of course, some make it faster and some slower. But I would say at least a half-week longer than your CF time, whatever that was.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My estimate includes rest days (days inclusive start to finish). But as I said, your speed can (and surely does!) vary. My own pace was almost 7 weeks total from Le Puy to SJPP, but I was constrained by foot pain and high temperatures.

Grayland, have you considered continuing your walk along the Camino Norte instead of travelling to Seville? You could turn south to Oviedo and do the Camino Primitivo. And, if you are reluctant to walk any section of the Camino Frances, you could get a bus to el Ferrol from Lugo and walk to Santiago on the Camino Ingles.

I walked the Le Puy route very comfortably in 39 days, I was 55 and of average fitness. Regards Gitti

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've done the CF in 34 and 36 days and recently walked from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP in 35 (I actually took 37 but had 2 rest days in the middle). The early days of the Le Puy route did have quite a few ups and downs, although as I walked through some holiday weekends I often ended up walking a little further that I really intended, in order to find accommodation (should have booked a bit further ahead than I did!). I am a pretty slow, lazy walker but didn't find it too much harder than the CF .
Kay

Hi everybody,
I am also considering doing Le Puy next June to SJPP, or do the Aragonés to Santiago, I have 35-37 days+travel days. I feel unable to make a decision, maybe because I love the Camino in Spain and feel I don't really know what it will be like in France. Those of you who have walked both, what would you say are the main differences? How many pilgrims will be walking in France in June, are there any statistics? How much more money would I need, what would be the average of one day? Would you say the magic of the Camino will be found in France as well?
I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions according to the choice between these two routes.
Josefine

Hi Grayland
I did the two routs last year,but with a break inbetween,pics and such in my blog below,I flew ryanair back to England and after a break flew rynair to Seville
now in Santiago its time to stop!!!!!!
Ian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked form Le Puy to Pamplona in 37 days in 2010. I found I prefer to walk everyday, so I had no rest days. I walked every day between 14-32 km, averaged around 23km a day, not too much, but with 38-degree afternoons in August I was glad to arrive early and relax!

Really beautiful! It was my first, so can't say how it compares to others...

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back