• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy - any thoughts on my last two night before SJPP

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I must thank you in advance for any guidance here, as I’m almost asking you to help read my mind at what I could have been thinking and possibly why I might have done this…
I’m sitting at a cafe with the energy to look over my calendar and my scribbled notes. As a reminder I’ve done Le Puy before but camped out exclusively and had little to no wifi, which makes certain details more fuzzy I think. I’m noticing my last three days before SJPP ate Navarrenx
Aroue ( where I reserved a gite)
St Palais ( where I reserved w/ Franciscans)
and then immediately the next night in SJPP

I’m not certain what I was thinking as I’m noticing Saint Palais is off the GR65. I’m wondering did I make a mistake or is what I did possible and advised??????

I realize I’m asking you to give me an opinion on what was I thinking but would be willing to do the same for others in my situation.

Any thoughts is this even possible?
Was there the thought put in my head St Palais was worth a visit, and is SJPP a doable walk from there in one day if so.
If not I have some cancelling to be done…

I’m not seeing the answers in my book.
Thank you,
Neve

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My routing in 2011 was: Navarrenx - Des Chenes - Uhart-Mixe - Carracotchia - SJPP
In this area, there are multiple routes and possibilities. Since we were walking in the busy month of September, we always called ahead for reservations. This particular routing suited my shorter daily comfortable length.

When we walked in 2018, we went from Navarrenx to the Ferme Bohoteguia in Aroue. Then we walked to Harambeltz via Uhart-Mixte, so bypassing the Stèle de Gibraltar. The reason we stopped in Harambeltz was because we wanted to see the church there. From there we walked to SJPdP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m not certain what I was thinking as I’m noticing Saint Palais is off the GR65. I’m wondering did I make a mistake or is what I did possible and advised??????
Totally possible! I really enjoy staying in Saint-Palais. Here's a rough map:

1630334990517.png
The green line is what's usually presented as the "official" route. Three different variants in this stage--the short-cut from Aroue, the short-cut via Uhart-Mixe, and the... scenic detour to Saint-Palais (+6.5km in comparison to the official).

The turn-off to Saint-Palais is very clear, with a giant sign. From there, the waymarking is much more subtle, with some small, aged stickers carrying the burden. It's generally quite workable, though I found the left turn onto the highway near the end to be completely unmarked this time. If you can download a gps track, it might be a comfort.

The walk to Saint-Palais isn't great--lots of pavement. The walk back is lovely, past the sculptures on Mont-Saint-Sauveur. I really enjoy that part. I also find the gite to be quite nice.

The walk from Saint Palais to Ostabat passes the Chapelle de Soyarce, which in my opinion, is the most spectacular view on the entire camino and if the weather is good, is a wonderful spot to rest awhile. It’s possible to ‘camp’ here. There’s a covered area attached to the chapel and a water source.

You can also pass the chapelle if you follow the chemin past Hiriburia, by-passing Saint Palais.

Saint Palais is not actually on the Le Puy chemin, but is a pleasant town with all services.

Yes, it’s a long (30-35K), but doable, walk from Saint-Palau’s to Saint Jean Pied De Port. Saint Palais is, as mentioned, a variant from the GR65 that is pretty clearly marked. I’m betting your notes aren’t missing a stop/overnight, though they may have left out the part about sore feet the next day :).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Guys I’m in need of some advice… I’m booked in Aroure, and Saint Palais with a reserved accommodation in Saint Jean the night we leave Saint Palais and a domino effect of reservations onward ( reserving is new to me). I’ll admit I’m panicking some with an almost 40 km day from Saint Palais to Saint Jean, for a few reasons
Most being I don’t want to be dead upon arrival to Saint Jean AND arrive late with no festivity ( I am walking with my 16 year old daughter too) . We have a pilgrim friemd from Pampalona joining us in Saint Jean and we got a private room in Saint Jean so we want to enjoy it…
So I am entertaining two options. Check in at Saint Palais and then keep walking for three hours and taxi back to Saint Palais and then taxi to that point in the morning.
OR chose to skip a section from Saint Palais to Saint Jean ( gasp!)… we’ve never done that, never taxied, bussed, accepted a ride but I’m entertaining it, we have “ done” Le Puy before… if I do this can you share whst portion ( maybe 15-20kms) that would be best “ to skip”. I hate to consider this, but honestly I’m accepting the idea more and more…
Thanks in advance!
Neve

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Neve
I can only suggest you take the short cut from Aroue directly to Harambeltz cutting out St Palais and the stele of Gibraltar.
I assume you are staying in the gîte communal in Aroue and the hospitalier there would be able to help with directions.
If you can access Gronze there is a very good map detailing this stage and it shows the shortcut to Harambeltz.
I am sure there will be a local map in the gîte.
Harambeltz is only a few Kms from
Ostabat .You could cancel the reservation at St Palais and find an alternative at Harambeltz or Ostabat.
Whatever you decide I hope everything
works out.
Bonne Route ,Bon Courage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You all are the best!!!! Tonight will sit down and really plan what I need to do. Just checked out gronze and as much as I have heard of it I never checked it out, it is an excellent map of it!
I am ALWAYS so appreciative of everyone’s input, thank you!!!
Agree walking into St Jean is such a highlight!!!
Thank you all again!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Neve
St Palais is on the Vézelay route.
Merci! researching now! we think we will ditch bags at our gite in aoure tomorrow at about 1 and head to saint palais and taxi back to aroue at dinner time… then taxi back to that spot and plug along from there… daughter seems to be pretty committed to walking every inch… but if we need a lift to accommodation she seems receptive!
Thank you!!!!
Still to be determined….

The
Hi Neve
St Palais is on the Vézelay route.

Neve

The Vézelay ,Le Puy and the Paris/ Tours routes meet at the Stele of Gibraltar not at St Palais.
The famous Madame Chassain ,sadly deceased ,who wrote the excellent guide
on the Vézelay Route would be horrified
after all her best endeavours to learn that some people think St Palais is on the GR65 the way from Le Puy.
It most definitely is not.It is on the GR654,
the Vézelay Route.
In honour of Madame Chassain I had to set the record straight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back