• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy Camino Advice

Smurphy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago 2014
SJPP to Muxia 2015
Porto to Santiago 2016
SJPP to Lourdes 2017
2018?
Greetings to everyone

I am looking for advice on the Le Puy Camino. My mother and I have done three Caminos already, 2014 Sarria to Santiago, 2015 St Jean to Santiago and on to Muxia and 2016 Porto to Santiago. We are addicted!!

We are thinking of walking again Easter 2017 and are considering the Le Puy route. We will have about 11 walking days, starting from Sunday/Monday 9th/10th of April to Thursday/ Friday 20th/21st, with Easter falling in between.

What would people recommend? Our initial thoughts were to walk the last section of Le Puy to finish in St Jean where we started the Camino Frances. We are open to any suggestions on this or any Camino (we are also considering the Ingles). This forum has always provided great advice in the past and it is a great source of information so thank you to everyone.

Seán

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sean: I really enjoyed the entire Le Puy route, but the first section from Le Puy to Conques is a beautiful walk. I did that over 10 days. There are some good ups and downs, but it sounds like you and your mother are fairly experienced, so that should not be too much of a worry. I have not walked the Camino Frances, but the section I am talking about is more difficult than the Camino Portugues. On the Aubrac plateau you would be up at about 4000 feet or so, so it could still be cool in April up there. There is lots of accommodation, and a reasonable, but not huge, number of people. The last 10 days or so into SJPdP are also very nice. I found the last 5-6 days in particular were great, and it was nice to end up in SJPdP. You could maybe start in Montreal. I think it was about 10-11 days from there into SJPdP. Either way you would enjoy it.

Thanks Doogman. The cold might put be off the early section. Glad to hear you enjoyed the walk to St Jean. Great to hear that feedback. Thank you for the advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first ten days of the Le Puy, from Le Puy to Conques, are the most stunning scenery on the Le Puy route, making Le Puy definitely the place to begin. You're from Ireland - it won't be that much colder on the Aubrac in late April. I'm sure you have the necessary long underwear and windproofs to make this comfortable.

The Le Puy route is definitely different from the Frances: one-tenth the number of walkers, a corresponding reduction in the available accommodation, most of the walkers speak French, the towns are quite small with no services in-between (for the most part), and higher prices (EUR 35-40/day pp). And, since the French reserve at least a day in advance (months, in the case of groups), you'll want to be phoning ahead for a reserved bed. You'll want to book demi-pension wherever it is available. This topic has been covered in additional threads here in this forum, so doing a search would be useful.

The first ten days of the Le Puy, from Le Puy to Conques, are the most stunning scenery on the Le Puy route, making Le Puy definitely the place to begin. You're from Ireland - it won't be that much colder on the Aubrac in late April. I'm sure you have the necessary long underwear and windproofs to make this comfortable.

The Le Puy route is definitely different from the Frances: one-tenth the number of walkers, a corresponding reduction in the available accommodation, most of the walkers speak French, the towns are quite small with no services in-between (for the most part), and higher prices (EUR 35-40/day pp). And, since the French reserve at least a day in advance (months, in the case of groups), you'll want to be phoning ahead for a reserved bed. You'll want to book demi-pension wherever it is available. This topic has been covered in additional threads here in this forum, so doing a search would be useful.

Thanks Kitsambler. I'm torn now whether to do the start or the end! First world problems.

You might contact the tourist office in Le Puy and ask about the likelihood or possibility of snow at the time of your hike. I know that it happens, because it snowed on the Aubrac Plateau in late April the very night that I descended from the Plateau and arrived in Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac. Why? In the thread just below yours, I posted the following:

"You will reach the Plateau d'Aubrac about 4 days out of Le Puy. It reaches 4,000 ft above sea level and most of it is over 3,000 ft. If you encounter much snow here, and it is likely you will in February, you could easily lose track of the path. It is possible that the tracks of other hikers could mark the way, but I would worry about losing my way. It is desolate. I am a conservative person, so maybe I am being over-cautious, but I have walked this portion twice and I would not do it during the winter months. There are also steep downhills and uphills into and out of Monistrol and Conques which in snowy or icy conditions would require strap on Stabilicers or other spiked/traction footgear."

Bon chemin!

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
in terms of scenery, history and overall beauty I would choose the first part from Le Puy to Conques. it is phisically more difficult then the last 10 days, and not only because it's the start of the walk. this is also the part that is walked by more pilgrims and (French) hikers then the rest of the Podiensis, so reserving in advance (only a day or two) is recommended. for the same reason there is not that much pilgrim feeling as on the rest of the Podiensis, but that also depends on where you are staying the night.

in season there are adequate fountains and toilets on the route. I'm not sure if they work year-round. shops are usually open in the morning and in the afternoon, except on sunday afternoons, and sometimes they are closed on mondays. always ask the day before.

I always chose accommodation with a self-catering kitchen, if it was available, but almost all gites offer half-pension if that is what you prefer.

Thank You all for the replies.

We are also considering visiting Lourdes either before or at the end of the journey, with the possibility of walking from Lourdes to St Jean. The possibilities are endless, trying to make a decision is hard!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Sean,
Le Puy to Conques is really beautiful, but the trade is it is physically demanding with many ups and downs. The Aubrac plateau is a bit like Connemara, trees sculpted by the wind and dry stone walls! There is so much history and amazing scenery. You could fly into Lyon from Dublin Aerlingus for the start at Le Puy and fly back from Rodez with Ryanair.
If you want to reach StJPdP then probably think about starting at Condom, or with an easier pace Eauze/ Aire sur L'adour. The walking is much easier then starting in Le Puy though not as spectacular. The Basque Country is lovely and as you know on the Camino every day is an adventure!
Easter is traditionally the start of the season, so you should have no problem with finding accommodation, most places will be open.

I second (or tenth?) the suggestion that you start in Le Puy and walk to Conques. It's the most beautiful! I did that section in late April/May of last year and did encounter some bad snow in Aubrac, but it made the whole experience that much more memorable!

I'd add that sticking with a group while hiking the Aubrac is a good idea, especially if it snows. Trail markings in that section aren't very obvious and easily covered by snow.

Plan has changed Chloe. We are now going to walk from SJPdP to Lourdes. Currently looking for information on that! Thanks for the reply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back