• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy/Camino Podiensis veterans...a sleeping bag question

• Thread starter Former member 59618
  • Start date
F

Former member 59618

I am planning on walking the Le Puy starting in September and going all the way to Finesterre. I have one Camino Frances under my belt, so I'm well-versed in what I need for that particular section. With the Le Puy route, I've heard one doesn't need a sleeping bag as the gîtes have blankets and aren't as rudimentary as the Spanish albergues.

Can anyone comment on this?...

Merci and gracias!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wrong. Most gites do not have linen, so you need something so that you do not sleep on the mattress. A few places are so bed bug paranoid that you must leave your pack in a plastic bag at the door, and they supply a linen sleep sack and blankets!

Wrong. Most gites do not have linen, so you need something so that you do not sleep on the mattress. A few places are so bed bug paranoid that you must leave your pack in a plastic bag at the door, and they supply a linen sleep sack and blankets!
What he said.....sometimes i stayed with a family that took in pilgri m s and was given great accommodation. This is quite usual in france when refuges are not available. Another time i was given a tent in a camping site and was very grateful for my sleeping bag

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a different experience many of the Gites I stayed in had blankets.
I went to Santiago and started at the beginning of September with just a silk sleep sack. By the time it got cold I usually found blankets on the CF but some nights I did sleep with about all my clothes that I had in my pack!!!

I have read so many questions about sleeping bags here.
Unless you walk the Camino middle of the summer (July or August), don’t take a chance. It’s not worth it anywhere.
LuPuy route is on high altitudes (1400 m). Invest in something light (very important) sleeping bag just in case Gite does not provide blankets.

Gite accommodations are widely variable in what they provide. Some even provide sheets/blankets so it is just like home. BUT........there will be more than a few times on the 29 stages that you will need one for warmth and comfort. Take a lite-weight bag!! Especially with a September departure.

It is a gear decision much like rain-gear. It may not rain much, but when it does, you need the protection.

So the more important question is: what kind of sleeping bag/liner/custom quilt should I take.
I have an older LaFuma 10degree modified mummy. I use mostly as a quilt. I also carry a silk liner, permethrin treated to protect me from cinches and the next pelerin from my body sweat.

It is a beautiful time of year to walk! And my favorite route and walking experience. Having 70 days for LePuy to Santiago in 2013 was a rare and precious gift.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for all your responses! I think not to take a sleeping bag would be risky, so I will plan on purchasing one. Very excited for the French countryside!

Last edited by a moderator:
About to walk whole of Le Puy route for the 3rd time. June/July or August/Sept. Took a light sleeping bag first time, from then only silk liner. All places I stayed in had blankets.
I would say going later in the season, I would take a light actual sleeping bag, just in case.

am planning on walking the Le Puy starting in September
Hi, I am going to start in Le Puy on the 2nd Sept (maybe we'll meet :) )and had exactly the same question about sleeping bag. As usual answers represent mixture of experiences. Last year I was walking St Francis Way in Italy in September and I took a risk - no sleeping bag. Good choice as blankets were everywhere, even in the very basic, donativo monasteries. It is true that we will walk and sleep above 1000m though, so well, maybe it's better to have one. Still debating :)
Bon Chemin :)
Anna

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Le Puy route as far as Auvillar June 2018, staying in predominately gites. I brought a very lightweight liner for that time of year sprayed with permathrin for (just in case) and it was enough. Most of the gites had linens and blankets and all provided clean pillow cases.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.