• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy Camino

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
I'm interested in doing a different Camino having walked the Primitivo this year and CF in 2016. Le Puy seems very interesting and hopefully I can walk from Le Puy to Conques. I was hoping to walk in April or May. Any suggestions on when to go, and what the weather would be like? I will be walking solo. Merci!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Aubrac it gets close to 1400m elevation, it's a high plateau. Think of the scottish highlands, maybe. In april snow is not unlikely there. In may it can happen also but it's not as common as in april.

May is a very popular month for the french people to walk shorter sections, especially Le Puy-Conques, so it will probably be busy. Beautiful though during that time of year, with all the spring flowers, and the temperature not too hot. You'll probably have rain and mud as well as warm and sunny days.

I walked it solo in april-may 2017 and really liked it. Had no snow, but a lot of mud.

Now, walking it in summer at the moment, it is just as beautiful - less crowded, but the heat is extreme.

Happy planning. Good choice of Camino :)

My only thought would be snow, sleet and rain at time of the year. You are walking at elevations of 2500 m late winter.
Actually, the highest point of the route is between Nasbinals and Aubrac, at Col d'Aubrac, 1343 m.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On the Aubrac it gets close to 1400m elevation, it's a high plateau. Think of the scottish highlands, maybe. In april snow is not unlikely there. In may it can happen also but it's not as common as in april.

May is a very popular month for the french people to walk shorter sections, especially Le Puy-Conques, so it will probably be busy. Beautiful though during that time of year, with all the spring flowers, and the temperature not too hot. You'll probably have rain and mud as well as warm and sunny days.

I walked it solo in april-may 2017 and really liked it. Had no snow, but a lot of mud.

Now, walking it in summer at the moment, it is just as beautiful - less crowded, but the heat is extreme.

Happy planning. Good choice of Camino :)
I had planned on doing the Portuguese but after viewing Efren Gonzales youtube videos of both.... I can tell why he was much more excited about Le Puy. I finished the Primitivo April 7th. Loved it. Any comparisions?

I had planned on doing the Portuguese but after viewing Efren Gonzales youtube videos of both.... I can tell why he was much more excited about Le Puy. I finished the Primitivo April 7th. Loved it. Any comparisions?
We walked the Primitivo in May and le Puy last fall. Similar as to difficulty, however the route des hospitales was tougher going than anything we experienced in France. Quite different vibes, the Primitivo was very international whereas Le Puy was very French. Both were great.

Hi. Maybe a suggestion for May although it's only 5 days would be the San Salvador. Mr Gonzales also has his videos of that. I'm doing 8 to 10 days next month so my walk a section of the route before Leon coming from Madrid. You are starting up at approx 700 metres and reaching levels of 1500 metres. Personally I'm a bit anxious as apparently it's fairly tough but also rewarding with amazing scenery. On of my Camino companions has done it and highly recommendeds . Daniel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Quite different vibes, the Primitivo was very international whereas Le Puy was very French. Both were great.
I never walked the Primitivo but have walked other routes. They are all different but Le Puy is very different. Different country, different language. I spoke no French and didn't have a smartphone to translate. I had to make reservations every day as the Gite owner needs to know how many to feed. I had to carry provisions whenever I could. Just had a little Michelin Guide that was not much good. The volunteer in the Paris Pilgrim office tried to get me to buy the Miam Doo Doo guide. I was stubborn, and said I didn't understand French. Big mistake as I found out 2 days before St.Jean how easy it was to follow. No big cities and very few decent size towns. You never knew (at least when I walked in 2015) when a shop or cafe would be open in a village. I went more than a few days without food from breakfast to dinner. It is beautiful. Didn't meet even 5 people who could speak any English. People walk with the people they came witn. I am not a camino "family" guy but if you expect that I think you can forget it. The scenery is diverse. The markings were different and I got lost a few times as it is so peaceful and there is so much solitude I was missing the GR stripes. The food was amazing almost every night. Many nights I said a meal of this quality which cost me about 30E for dinner, bed and breakfast would have cost 5 times as much in a big city if you included the wonderful French wine. Most nights there was enough for 2nds or even 3rds of each portion. Try asking for seconds eating a pilgrim menu. Cheese course, fruit course, soup course, salad course, main course, (even had a suckling pig, rabbit etc) and forget about the desserts and the incomparable French bread. Breakfast was delicious coffee, homemade jams, bread, bacon or ham, eggs, milk, yogurt. If there were leftovers from the night before often the owners would pack you a lunch with a nominal cost. Most everything came from the gardens of the Gite it seemed like on most days.
Hard, often lonely even at night as everyone spoke in French. Everyone nice but I couldn't join in so I just ate until I dropped!

I've done both and although i really "liked" the Portuguese (and it is less expensive), there is absolutely no comparison...Le Puy wins hands down imo. I walked as far as Auvillar, just past Moissac. I added in Rocamadour on a day train trip and the Cele Valley variant; all I can say is Wow!

I never walked the Primitivo but have walked other routes. They are all different but Le Puy is very different. Different country, different language. I spoke no French and didn't have a smartphone to translate. I had to make reservations every day as the Gite owner needs to know how many to feed. I had to carry provisions whenever I could. Just had a little Michelin Guide that was not much good. The volunteer in the Paris Pilgrim office tried to get me to buy the Miam Doo Doo guide. I was stubborn, and said I didn't understand French. Big mistake as I found out 2 days before St.Jean how easy it was to follow. No big cities and very few decent size towns. You never knew (at least when I walked in 2015) when a shop or cafe would be open in a village. I went more than a few days without food from breakfast to dinner. It is beautiful. Didn't meet even 5 people who could speak any English. People walk with the people they came witn. I am not a camino "family" guy but if you expect that I think you can forget it. The scenery is diverse. The markings were different and I got lost a few times as it is so peaceful and there is so much solitude I was missing the GR stripes. The food was amazing almost every night. Many nights I said a meal of this quality which cost me about 30E for dinner, bed and breakfast would have cost 5 times as much in a big city if you included the wonderful French wine. Most nights there was enough for 2nds or even 3rds of each portion. Try asking for seconds eating a pilgrim menu. Cheese course, fruit course, soup course, salad course, main course, (even had a suckling pig, rabbit etc) and forget about the desserts and the incomparable French bread. Breakfast was delicious coffee, homemade jams, bread, bacon or ham, eggs, milk, yogurt. If there were leftovers from the night before often the owners would pack you a lunch with a nominal cost. Most everything came from the gardens of the Gite it seemed like on most days.
Hard, often lonely even at night as everyone spoke in French. Everyone nice but I couldn't join in so I just ate until I dropped!
I was lucky to walk the Le Puy with two Camino girlfriends, so we were not lonely and in June we got caught in a couple of bubbles of groups of French walkers, but it thinned out after Conques and again after Figeac.
We did not speak French so at dinners we were quiet, but not awkward being our own littlegroup of three. Yes, we always booked ahead a day or two with the help of a nice gite owner, or tourism center where they always spoke English.
Loved reading your thoughts on the food and I concur...all yummy!😋 Ooops, I did not like the coffee in the big cereal bowls.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was lucky to walk the Le Puy with two Camino girlfriends, so we were not lonely and in June we got caught in a couple of bubbles of groups of French walkers, but it thinned out after Conques and again after Figeac.
We did not speak French so at dinners we were quiet, but not awkward being our own littlegroup of three. Yes, we always booked ahead a day or two with the help of a nice gite owner, or tourism center where they always spoke English.
Loved reading your thoughts on the food and I concur...all yummy!😋 Ooops, I did not like the coffee in the big cereal bowls.
I agree with your feelings entirely except once I figured out how to drink my coffee in those cereal bowls and not spill it all over me it was fine. I really agree about dinner and being quiet but there was never a night that people didn't try to include me or make me feel left out.

I'm interested in doing a different Camino having walked the Primitivo this year and CF in 2016. Le Puy seems very interesting and hopefully I can walk from Le Puy to Conques. I was hoping to walk in April or May. Any suggestions on when to go, and what the weather would be like? I will be walking solo. Merci!
I have walked the Le Puy Route x 3 because I love it so much for reasons others have mentioned. I have also loved the Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy and did it twice. It is Primitivo like in scenery and difficulty and has good network of gite communal accommodation and private donativo hosts. Real emmersion into French life. It is not busy and May would be good.
I did the Primitivo this year and loved it also.
The Portuguese options are much less rural and remote and have lots of Asphalt.

Last edited:
I just did it in very late April and May. It was stunning. Climbing roses are everywhere as well as wild flowers.

the Le Puy route [aka GR65 Via Podiensis, Voie du Puy-en-Velay] is a beautiful walking path with a number of variantes. May and September are the busiest months on this route and this year bookings were very tight in May ... but that’s this year ... next year you might reasonably expect things will be a little less frenetic ...

weather is almost impossible to predict but the last two weeks of May and / OR the first two weeks of June would be [on the balance of probabilities] very agreeable weather-wise ... and the peak of the wildflower season ... an absolute highlight at the higher elevations of the Margeride and Aubrac plateau ...

on or around 22 May is the fabled transhumance in the Aubrac region where cattle move out of their cozy sheds to the open summer pastures to munch on all those yummy wildflowers ... imho, an event not to be missed🤩

p.s. I have walked this path three times since 2014, this year will be my fourth ... I am a known recidiviste and can’t get enough of these beautiful, wild landscapes, the many impossibly-beautiful villages and wonderful, generous french hospitality ... am adding «le Chemin Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert» to the repertoire this year 😅😍😂

Last edited:
agree wholeheartedly ... the little Michelin guide, aside from its inaccuracies, is almost useless ... the Miam-Miam-Dodo, now in electronic version, is excellent ... and there are now lots of other resources as well ... ask Prof. Google OR the good, long-serving professors right here on this forum🙏🏽

Le Puy route is so beautiful and Conques is a jewel that many of the French do not know about. I started my Camino Frances in Le Puy many years ago and this route is still my favourite. So much quieter with beautiful scenery and the mst beautiful cows ever, the Aubrac cows. I have walked most of it in May and no problems at all. People lovely and as long as you make an effort with a little French such as hello, goodbye, thanks etc people are very helpful. Great food and such pretty medieval towns. Enjoy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
agree wholeheartedly ... the little Michelin guide, aside from its inaccuracies, is almost useless ... the Miam-Miam-Dodo, now in electronic version, is excellent ... and there are now lots of other resources as well ... ask Prof. Google OR the good, long-serving professors right here on this forum🙏🏽
Funny you should mention the online version of Miam Dodo. Dear friends I met on the Camino from Australia are planning their next camino. We have been talking for a while to decide if we can walk together. (They are the perfect couple for me to walk with as we meet most nights for dinner if we are in the same albergue, they sometimes get pensions, walk together for some of the day but not to much etc. Last night David called me and he said that they have decided they will probably walk Le Puy and then walk the French side to Somport and then we will meet there and travel on the Aragones. We will then decide where to go next. They may go home or we may continue on the Frances or even go to Lisbon and walk the Portugues. We talked at length about my Le Puy Camino and I definitely stressed that the biggest mistake I made was before I started in Le Puy was I didn't buy the Miam Dodo book at the Paris Pilgrim office as the lady there begged me to do. David speaks decent French and his wife some also. I told him with some planning and their language ability they could an even richer experience than I did. Of course I waxed on about the beauty and food. I also mentioned in no uncertain terms, like you, that although the Michelin guide helped a little it was woefully inadequate.

We walked the Primitivo in May and le Puy last fall. Similar as to difficulty, however the route des hospitales was tougher going than anything we experienced in France. Quite different vibes, the Primitivo was very international whereas Le Puy was very French. Both were great.
Merci!

Thank you for your honest input! sounds right up my ally. The one thing going for me is that I speak French pretty well...Better than Spanish. My main concern was when to go without it being over crowded. I would like to go beginning in April or very first part of May.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for your honest input! sounds right up my ally. The one thing going for me is that I speak French pretty well...Better than Spanish. My main concern was when to go without it being over crowded. I would like to go beginning in April or very first part of May.
I walked it starting in mid September. It is mostly retired friends walking together and virtually everyone was French with a few Germans. I have no idea what it is like now or in April. I checked the pilgrim website statistics from Le Puy. Of course it is just people going all the way to Santiago. 604 people received compostelas in June '22. In all of 2019 3,180 received Compostela for the whole year. It is also difficult to gauge as many people in France are really not on pilgrimage . They are starting in different locations and walking with friends for a week or two. If anyone has better information please be free to correct me. It is 7 years since I walked so things may have changed dramatically.

I just walked the Via Podiensis from Le Puy to Moissac in May of 2022. I recommend that time. Some observations:
1. Book ahead - long distance walking has exploded since Covid restrictions have eased. We had to stop at Moissac because it was too difficult to find accommodation without walking 30 - 35 kms for some stretches. We are planning on returning next May to finish the last 330 kms.
2. Weather - We had 1 day of rain in 21 days of walking. We also experienced temperatures of 30 - 35 C for several days. We walked in shorts all except for 1 or 2 days.
3. The cheese is deeelicious!
4. Some gites do not offer meals (demi pension). As a result restaurants are also busy and reservations are recommended.

I just walked the Via Podiensis from Le Puy to Moissac in May of 2022. I recommend that time. Some observations:
1. Book ahead - long distance walking has exploded since Covid restrictions have eased. We had to stop at Moissac because it was too difficult to find accommodation without walking 30 - 35 kms for some stretches. We are planning on returning next May to finish the last 330 kms.
2. Weather - We had 1 day of rain in 21 days of walking. We also experienced temperatures of 30 - 35 C for several days. We walked in shorts all except for 1 or 2 days.
4. Some gites do not offer meals (demi pension). As a result restaurants are also busy and reservations are recommended.
Thanks for that. Times have changed. I walked the Le Puy Route x 3 and never had these issues....apart from heatwave in June.
After Moissac used to be very quiet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hahaha, I didn't either!

Hi, I walked the same route in 2017 but in September, after the heatwave season had passed. Even so on the Aubrac plateau there were days of incessant rain but elsewhere the walking was very agreeable. The Le Puy route is also the GR65, it's very well signed. I used the app MAPS. me, which has now evolved into Organic Maps, that I now use for all my walking. I could provide you with more detailed info if you reply with your email address. I planned everything in advance, even though I was living in France. I suggest you do the same. Its very simple to do and ensures you have a bed and meal for each of your stops. Let me know if you would like me to send you my info.
Buen Camino

I have walked the Le Puy route twice as well as volunteering as an assistant at a private albergue on one occasion. In April I experienced snow and a lot of mud. In late May-early June I experienced severe storms and cold weather on the Aubrac plateau as well as mud and hot weather elsewhere. So the weather can vary a lot. I do not speak a word of French but had the Miam Miam Dodo (essential and extremely easy to use no matter what language you speak). You will need to ring ahead a day or two as it can be very busy in parts. But it is a superb walk, I believe even better than the Primitivo which is also good.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Might see you there. Planning to leave Le Puy on April 27

Walking in France never seems to have an international mix of people and the French will generally not be very sociable to outsiders. This has been my experience in the Alps, Pyrenees, Jura particularly.

For this reason, I wouldn't take the Le Puy path. It's also much more expensive too plus you have more threat of Madman Macron bringing in passes and other freedom restricting measures.

Walking in France never seems to have an international mix of people and the French will generally not be very sociable to outsiders. This has been my experience in the Alps, Pyrenees, Jura particularly.

For this reason, I wouldn't take the Le Puy path. It's also much more expensive too plus you have more threat of Madman Macron bringing in passes and other freedom restricting measures.
Last time I was on the Le Puy, there were 2 Aussies, 2 Kiwis, 2 Americans, 3 Germans, 2 Swiss, a couple of English people, it was very international. We all meat up in SJPP and had dinner together. The French were outnumbered.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am planning to walk end of April & May from Le Puy to SJPP. I live close to the Canadian Rockies and there is snow in the moly Taos through summer at higher elevation. I pray I will experience decent weather in France. but I’ll be prepared. My flight is booked… I may run into you?!!! Bon chemin

Hello pilgrims
I am planning to step out from Le Puy en Velay very early April 2023. Like...the first...
Oh, too cold? Snow? Are gites all open?
What will the weather be like then do you suppose?
I am open to alternatives.
I land in Paris and have two months to walk...
I must admit I prefer warmer weather
Merci

Hello pilgrims
I am planning to step out from Le Puy en Velay very early April 2023. Like...the first...
Oh, too cold? Snow? Are gites all open?
What will the weather be like then do you suppose?
I am open to alternatives.
I land in Paris and have two months to walk...
I must admit I prefer warmer weather
Merci
Voie Regordaine or Arles Route???

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have done the whole Le Puy Route x 3 since 2009 and Primitivo this year.
I loved both very much.
On the Primitivo there were lots of solo pilgrims or couples or small groups and a great sense of pilgrim community.
The Le Puy by contrast has lots of French retired groups of walkers and a smaller no of long distance pilgrim walkers.
Speaking some French really helps. The Primitivo had a more international community.
I love both routes for their scenery.
Accommodations on both routes is great.
The food in France is very local, fresh and varied, lots more vegetables snd fresh salads and fantastic cheeses.
A lot of the gites offer demipension with fab dinners and simple bfast, dorms or twin rooms at reasonsble prices.
There are municipals too, but they are often full up with walking groups. Le Puy to Conques is busy and def advise booking well ahead.

I walked the Le Puy last year and agree with most comments. A few remarks. The big majority of walkers are French ( for instance in the big albergue in the monastery of Conques, I was the only not French speaking out of at least 80 people) I speak some french, enough to manage in individual talks or in small groups. At dinners It became difficult most of the times, when I lost the "thread" of a conversation, it was hard to find it again. It took me some time to discover the best strategy when having dinners at those long tables : get there in time so you can secure yourself a place on or near a corner, that way you won't get "lost in different conversations" It was not my experience that the French people "excluded" me, it is just the situation. In small groups they tried to include me more.
In other posts the Miam Miam Dodo guide is mentioned. I would advise to buy the digital version but than you must be sure to walk within a year or at least download the information. After a year it "Expires". I bought it just before covid, and could not use it anymore when travelling became possible again. So I bought the paper version. I must say I did not like it very much ( when on the road). It has lots of information, too much sometimes. The maps are many and detailed, if at some, very few, times I wanted to know where I was, it was not easy to find. The GR markings were very good the information on sites like Gronze on accomodation but also on possible problems concerning possible "routeproblems" was more than enough for me. After a week or so I gave the books away.
Concerning the difficulties it is indeed comparable with the Primitivo. Someone said that the Hospitalesroute there was more difficult than anything on the Le Puy. I found the climb out of Conques a lot harder, albeit shorter

I have done the whole Le Puy Route x 3 since 2009 and Primitivo this year.
I loved both very much.
On the Primitivo there were lots of solo pilgrims or couples or small groups and a great sense of pilgrim community.
The Le Puy by contrast has lots of French retired groups of walkers and a smaller no of long distance pilgrim walkers.
Speaking some French really helps. The Primitivo had a more international community.
I love both routes for their scenery.
Accommodations on both routes is great.
The food in France is very local, fresh and varied, lots more vegetables snd fresh salads and fantastic cheeses.
A lot of the gites offer demipension with fab dinners and simple bfast, dorms or twin rooms at reasonsble prices.
There are municipals too, but they are often full up with walking groups. Le Puy to Conques is busy and def advise booking well ahead.
Yes, I'm coming to terms with booking ahead as I didn't do that while on the Primitivo last April. I will be hiking solo beginning in April on the GR65. I'm hoping for few crowds that could dilute Camino relationships......

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I'm coming to terms with booking ahead as I didn't do that while on the Primitivo last April. I will be hiking solo beginning in April on the GR65. I'm hoping for few crowds that could dilute Camino relationships......
I can't imagine, that it will be very crowded in early April...will be interested to hear.

Thanks for the info gittiharre. When you advise booking well ahead Le Puy to Conques, does that mean one week? or ten? I'm looking at a departure from Le Puy on May 13 next year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bonjour pelerins. I also love the Le Puy route. If you are walking in Spring / Summer of 2023, my husband and I will be living in Lectoure at the time - from 1 April. Lectoure is a fabulous hilltop town about 2/3 or a little more along the path from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP. I will post something on the forum closer to the time - but if you need any assistance when in that area, or would just like to say 'bonjour', we would be happy to meet you. I am Australian and my husband is French (we met on the Chemin du Puy in 2014) so we have at least English and French covered! It's a glorious path. Bon chemin. 😎

Thanks for the info gittiharre. When you advise booking well ahead Le Puy to Conques, does that mean one week? or ten? I'm looking at a departure from Le Puy on May 13 next year.
I wish, I knew...it has become a lot more popular recently..You are probably not like me...and if you are a bit flexible a few days ahead is probably OK.
I am fussy about where I sleep...I love atmospheric and quirky places with welcoming hosts and good local food within a reasonably modest budget..so I do a lot of research and book well ahead, like weeks...as places on that route of that sort have limited beds and are often booked by walking groups of varying sizes, they book well ahead...
I have walked 20 caminoes, so know my body and the distances I can do, taking elevation into account...so I by and large plan the whole thing and hardly ever have to change itinerary. I like it that way, as I can just get into the walking zone, without worrying about where I will sleep...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would advise to buy the digital version but than you must be sure to walk within a year or at least download the information. After a year it "Expires"
I do not think that a digital version of Miam Miam Dodo exists yet.
If you want to have a light version, take pictures of the relevant pages.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks you very much. I didn't find it because it is known as "Chemin de Regordane":
Probably it is at least partly common with the "Chemin de Stevenson" ?
It runs partly parallel and has a couple of stages that overlap with the Stvenson which is a marvelous walk in itself. It is possible to walk the 2 more or less in a circle start snd finish in Le Puy.

I do not think that a digital version of Miam Miam Dodo exists yet.
If you want to have a light version, take pictures of the relevant pages.
It certainly existed as an app in 2020 when I bought it. When I walked it in August/ september last year it was not available , but the publisher said that it would be soon. They said also that there would be an ebookversion

I wouldn’t put the French down, in this way. Sorry your experience was not great, but I found le Chemin, challenging and rewarding… and I received a great deal of warmth and assistance along the way, from hospilitaros and others. I highly recommend this Camino

I wouldn’t put the French down, in this way. Sorry your experience was not great, but I found le Chemin, challenging and rewarding… and I received a great deal of warmth and assistance along the way, from hospilitaros and others. I highly recommend this Camino
I agree Richmond, and that was my experience walking the Le Puy Way in 2014 - when I was often the only person in a group who spoke English as a first language - and I had v little French. But the more effort I made the more I was able to 'communicate' in Frenglish which was tough for me but I'm guessing it was even worse for the French people trying to make sense of what I said! I take the view that the onus is on me in a foreign country.

Regarding the comment from @Pilgrim2023 that ‘the French will generally not be very sociable to outsiders’, that has not been my experience especially seen in the context of language barriers. I think that we - me included - sometimes make the mistake of assuming that if someone can speak a few words or phrases in English, they can do much more. That is often not the case - e.g. in France with people of a certain generation for whom English was not taught in school. Putting yourself in their shoes, it's understandable that even though they can speak a few words or phrases, anything longer or more complicated is difficult and frustrating. My husband was certainly in that category when we met.

From what I know of others who have walked more recently than me - and from gite owners on the Le Puy and from our own experience looking after our friends' gite in Eauze in 2018 - the Le Puy Way is certainly more 'international' than it was in 2014 - though, less so immediately post Covid restrictions.

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
I have done it 3 times, because I love it so much.

in France with people of a certain generation for whom English was not taught in school
As a French man, I would say that even for the next generations after this one, English was badly taught in school. Therefore, even not-so-old people in France cannot speak english.
But if you are a foreigner who do not tell even a word in French (except: bonjour, merci, au revoir...) I am sure you will receive help from anybody in France.
French people are sometimes rude, but not only with foreigners, also with other french people !
Do not hesitate to walk on Podiensis, it is indeed a nice way. And Célé variant is especially beautiful.

Hi, I walked the same route in 2017 but in September, after the heatwave season had passed. Even so on the Aubrac plateau there were days of incessant rain but elsewhere the walking was very agreeable. The Le Puy route is also the GR65, it's very well signed. I used the app MAPS. me, which has now evolved into Organic Maps, that I now use for all my walking. I could provide you with more detailed info if you reply with your email address. I planned everything in advance, even though I was living in France. I suggest you do the same. Its very simple to do and ensures you have a bed and meal for each of your stops. Let me know if you would like me to send you my info.
Buen Camino
Hi, I am Usha from Malaysia and plan to walk the Camijo Le Puy from March to May 2023. I would very much appreciate any information you could give me about the route from Le Puys to St Jean Pied d Port, especially about accommodation along the route.
Thank you.
Usha

I’ll keep it short and sweet. First thing, it’s fantastic. Second thing, these are my recommendations. Buy a book called ‘Miam Míam Dodo’ when you get to Le Puy. It has all the information you will need. Book into a place in Le Puy and your first night on the Chemin, before you leave home. I can recommend:
Le PuyGrande seminaire du Le puy ph: 0471099318
MonbonnetGite la grange ph: 0471575444
Then always book two nights ahead, using the Miam Miam Dodo. Your hosts will help you if you have trouble with your French. Enjoy the food and the climbing roses.

Having walked the route x 3, I recommend booking ahead as far as Conques. May is busy with French walking groups and since Covid, the route has gained further in popularity.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to add - There is now an English language guidebook, by Dave Whitson, who is also forum member @Dave

You can buy in printed copy or ebook. 😎

Having walked the route x 3, I recommend booking ahead as far as Conques. May is busy with French walking groups and since Covid, the route has gained further in popularity.
If you do this, still call a day or two before hand. I have learned this the hard way after getting lost in the Las Apujarras. We turned up after dark and our room had been given away just a few hours earlier. I last walked the Le Puy route in 2022 and booked my first two nights and the holiday weekends and bridge days leading up to them, well in advance. I arrived a day early at one place, so stayed two lovely nights, and had to cancel another as I just wasn’t going to make it. In retrospect I don’t think the bookings were needed, but it did give me peace of mind and I enjoy the planning and anticipation.

If you do this, still call a day or two before hand. I have learned this the hard way after getting lost in the Las Apujarras. We turned up after dark and our room had been given away just a few hours earlier. I last walked the Le Puy route in 2022 and booked my first two nights and the holiday weekends and bridge days leading up to them, well in advance. I arrived a day early at one place, so stayed two lovely nights, and had to cancel another as I just wasn’t going to make it. In retrospect I don’t think the bookings were needed, but it did give me peace of mind and I enjoy the planning and anticipation.
I heard several first hand accounts from people in May and September, who had to taxi off the trail for somewhere to sleep.
Not worth the stress and expense in my opinion.
In Aroue in a heat wave, people were forced to walk 10 km further at 2 pm in 40 degrees, when we walked in 2019. It was unbearably hot. They were close to tears and frankly it was dangerous. These days, I swear by pre booking a long way in advance. I just like knowing, I have nice digs secured.

‘i heard several first hand accounts from people in May and September, who had to taxi off the trail for somewhere to sleep’

@gittiharre I had friends walking in May 2022 who had to do this a few times, even though they tried to book a few days ahead. I was surprised but, on reflection, it’s 8 years since I’ve walked the Le Puy Way. It’s certainly grown in popularity - and why not, it’s a glorious path.

Also you can be lucky - and unlucky - with accommodation on any given day, especially May and September it would seem. But, if you don’t want to take your chances …. 😎

Last edited:
I walked the Le Puy the whole month of June 2018 with two friends. I was apprehensive of potential heat since I'd always walked Caminos in mid-April thru May. Other than prebooking our first and final day, we called ahead to secure our nightly lodgings one day in advance and had no problems.
The weather was nearly perfect with overall good temperatures, no extreme heat to contend with, and a few afternoon showers.

Bill, thanks for these comments. I am looking into this route for May 2023 and am curious if I can find accommodations for walks of 10-15km distances each day (sllllowww camino). If this is a question for which I could easily find the answers somewheres else, please direct me. I am just starting the research on which camino. TIA!

Hi @elliecm

I know this question went to Bill l- but my recommendation as a starting point for your research is the Gronze website. It shows distances, elevation maps, and accommodation options along the way. And the people at Gronze are generally very good at maintaining up to date information.

If you are not familiar with Gronze -
1. It's in Spanish but the information is easy to follow irrespective of language. But I see you are from Colombia so the Spanish may be perfect for you. for others, if you use Chrome browser you can translate to English -
2. If you click on the link above you come to a page that lists all stages for the whole route from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP - and then continues to the Frances.
3. Click on the relevant stage and you will see a map and the list of accommodations at each place along that section. CLick on the accommodation name and it will take you to contact details, sometimes including an email address, website or link to booking platform
3. For elevation of each section, see below the map there are the words 'Ver perfil de la etapa' - and to the right a + sign. click on the plus sign.

Of course stages on Gronze or in guidebooks are just a convenient way to divide up the information. From what I know, I think 10-15km days should be achievable - but Gronze will provide that info.

The Le Puy is a glorious path. Bon chemin.

Bill, thanks for these comments. I am looking into this route for May 2023 and am curious if I can find accommodations for walks of 10-15km distances each day (sllllowww camino). If this is a question for which I could easily find the answers somewheres else, please direct me. I am just starting the research on which camino. TIA!
The short answer is ... yes! Short distances / sections very do-able ... I am plotting my own for 2023 ... due to bad / problematic knees, stages of 15km ...

The short answer is ... yes! Short distances / sections very do-able ... I am plotting my own for 2023 ... due to bad / problematic knees, stages of 15km ...
I am glad I found you! I asked because I have had/problematic knees! So, I am very happy I found you! I am just starting to research. Planning on starting at Le Puy May 15ish.

I am glad I found you! I asked because I have had/problematic knees! So, I am very happy I found you! I am just starting to research. Planning on starting at Le Puy May 15ish.
Je vous en prie Ellie ... just let me know when you are ready and I will list for you the relevant short / very short stages that I have planned ... and can recommend. You can then do the rest of the research [accommodation options, services, stage profiles, et al] to assess suitability for you and your knees ... but, rest assured, it is do-able especially in the front half ... a little trickier on the back-half and on the Voie de Rocamadour variante ... bonne continuation et bon courage 🙏👣👣👣😅

Wow! Thanks! That is amazing. And also, super helpful information on back-half. I really am just starting to plan.

I was scheduled for surgery but my PT guy insisted I work with him to see if I could ditch the cane and walk normal ... and I have been walking great for 5-6 months (15KM is doable with a pack!) so I kinda thought this may be my only chance to do the Camino! I've been wanting to for years ... but school, pandemia, life, etc. got in the way!
With all your experience and knowledge, I'm delighted to emeet you! I live in Medellin, Colombia, but am from Chicago, USA.

I am plotting my own for 2023 ... due to bad / problematic knees, stages of 15km ...
Bonjour encore, Bronwen, I'm hoping to see you when you pass through 'our town'

And you too @elliecm From 1 April, we will be living in Lectoure - one of the many beautiful towns on the Camino Le Puy - and would be a pleasure to see you - and also to offer any assistance when you are in the area.

As @BlackRocker57 says 'bonne continuation et bon courage'

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bonjour encore, Bronwen, I'm hoping to see you when you pass through 'our town'

And you too @Elliecm. From 1 April, we will be living in Lectoure - one of the many beautiful towns on the Camino Le Puy - and would be a pleasure to see you - and also to offer any assistance when you are in the area.

As @BlackRocker57 says 'bonne continuation et bon courage'
[re]Bonjour Pelerina ... you can be absolutely sure of that ... thank you so much 🙏

So, I asked ChatGPT for a route for every 15KM and every 10KM. Curious to see how correct it is. (I also did every 5 and 10KM as I figured those might be handy to have! LMK if you are interested.)
  1. Le Puy-en-Velay
  2. Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole
  3. Nasbinals
  4. Saint-Chely-d'Apcher
  5. Estaing
  6. L'Hospitalet-du-Larzac
  7. Espalion
  8. Conques
  9. Figeac
  10. Moissac
  11. Auvillar
  12. Condom
  13. Eauze
  14. Saint-Palais
  15. Orthez
  16. Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
  17. Roncesvalles
  18. Pamplona
  19. Puente la Reina
  20. Estella
  21. Logroño
  22. Navarrete
  23. Santo Domingo de la Calzada
  24. Belorado
  25. San Juan de Ortega
  26. Burgos
  27. Hontanas
  28. Frómista
  29. Carrión de los Condes
  30. León
  31. Astorga
  32. Rabanal del Camino
  33. Ponferrada
  34. Villafranca del Bierzo
  35. O Cebreiro
  36. Triacastela
  37. Sarria
  38. Portomarín
  39. Palas de Rei
  40. Arzúa
  41. Santiago de Compostela

Hi @elliecm

Re the above numbers, sorry … I am not familiar with ChatGPT.

Is it meant to indicate that it will take 41 days from Le Puy en Velay to SAntiago de Compostela, with stages of 15kms ? If so, that is not accurate.

Le Puy to SDeC is more than 1500 kms - so at 15 kms per day, at least 100 days.The list says 16 days from Le Puy to SJPP. It took me 28 days, an average of 27kms per day. 😎

PS. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood the list. 🤔

Last edited:
So, I asked ChatGPT for a route for every 15KM and every 10KM. Curious to see how correct it is. (I also did every 5 and 10KM as I figured those might be handy to have! LMK if you are interested.)
  1. Le Puy-en-Velay
  3. Nasbinals
  4. Saint-Chely-d'Apcher
  5. Estaing
  7. Espalion
  8. Conques
  9. Figeac
  10. Moissac
  11. Auvillar
  12. Condom
  13. Eauze
  14. Saint-Palais
  15. Orthez
  17. Roncesvalles
  18. Pamplona
  19. Puente la Reina
  20. Estella
  21. Logroño
  22. Navarrete
  24. Belorado
  25. San Juan de Ortega
  26. Burgos
  27. Hontanas
  28. Frómista
  30. León
  31. Astorga
  32. Rabanal del Camino
  33. Ponferrada
  35. O Cebreiro
  36. Triacastela
  37. Sarria
  38. Portomarín
  39. Palas de Rei
  40. Arzúa
A clear fail‼️ lots of mistakes here, esp. on the Le Puy route ... e.g. Le Puy to Saint-Alban is 78.0+km ... pretty well impossible; Saint-Alban to Nasbinals = 42.0km; Saint-Chely-d'Apcher is not on the route; Estaing is after Espalion not before ... etcetera, etcetera ... too many errors for me to list but then that’s AI for you😱😅

1. Le Puy-en-Velay
  3. Nasbinals
  4. Saint-Chely-d'Apcher
  5. Estaing
  7. Espalion
  8. Conques
  9. Figeac
  10. Moissac
  11. Auvillar
  12. Condom
  13. Eauze
  14. Saint-Palais
  15. Orthez
  17. Roncesvalles
  18. Pamplona
  19. Puente la Reina
  20. Estella
  21. Logroño
  22. Navarrete
  24. Belorado
  25. San Juan de Ortega
  26. Burgos
  27. Hontanas
  28. Frómista
  30. León
  31. Astorga
  32. Rabanal del Camino
  33. Ponferrada
  35. O Cebreiro
  36. Triacastela
  37. Sarria
  38. Portomarín
  39. Palas de Rei
  40. Arzúa
That list is totally inaccurate.
Just go on chemindecompostelle.com or Gronze site and work it out yourself. It is simple
My husband I, he was 81 took 46 days from Le Puy to Roncesvalles incl 3 rest days. Our daily km ranged from 12 to 26 km. There is somewhere to sleep approx every 16 km.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That list is totally inaccurate.
Just go on chemindecompostelle.com or Gronze site and work it out yourself. It is simple
My husband I, he was 81 took 46 days from Le Puy to Roncesvalles incl 3 rest days. Our daily km ranged from 12 to 26 km. There is somewhere to sleep approx every 16 km.
As I mentioned, I generated it from ChatGPT and was interested in finding out if it was correct or not. Apologies as it seems to have caused offense. I am a PhD in artificial intelligence and am curious about these things.

A clear fail‼️ lots of mistakes here, esp. on the Le Puy route ... e.g. Le Puy to Saint-Alban is 78.0+km ... pretty well impossible; Saint-Alban to Nasbinals = 42.0km; Saint-Chely-d'Apcher is not on the route; Estaing is after Espalion not before ... etcetera, etcetera ... too many errors for me to list but then that’s AI for you😱😅
FASCINATING! They are definitely finding a lot of errors in ChatGPT! An 63+KM fail is pretty spectacular! Thanks for responding.

Hi @elliecm

Re the above numbers, sorry … I am not familiar with ChatGPT.

Is it meant to indicate that it will take 41 days from Le Puy en Velay to SAntiago de Compostela, with stages of 15kms ? If so, that is not accurate.

Le Puy to SDeC is more than 1500 kms - so at 15 kms per day, at least 100 days.The list says 16 days from Le Puy to SJPP. It took me 28 days, an average of 27kms per day. 😎

PS. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood the list. 🤔
ChatGPT is generative AI. It reports of errors, I was curious.

Hello and thanks for your question,

Sorry to take a few days to reply, but I try to manage my time and visit Camino Forum on Saturday mornings (in my neck of the woods). Reserving gîtes takes a bit of research, but it is also a lot of fun. Try starting with this website dedicated to finding accommodations on the Via Podiensis, aka GR65, http://www.podiensis.com/ . I would supplement that with Google maps and then hunt around on the map to see if other gîtes are indicated for the towns where you might like to stay. The site mentioned above also indicates the 'usual' steps and the distance for each, but you are quite free to set your own distances. For example, for our return to complete the VP in 2023, we decided to break it up into stages that average about 20 kms, because we find that is very manageable and affords us some sightseeing and exploring time in the various towns along the way. From Moissac to SJPP we decided to take 17 days, and of the 16 gîtes that we will need for that, we have already booked and confirmed 13 of them. As I said earlier, having a gîte confirmed in advance removes a lot of stress and allows one to spend some time to explore different towns and sites of interest along the way.

There may be other references or links available on the Camino Forum site as well, and other Camino Forum members may direct you to them.

Bon chemin!

As I mentioned, I generated it from ChatGPT and was interested in finding out if it was correct or not. Apologies as it seems to have caused offense. I am a PhD in artificial intelligence and am curious about these things.
Interesting! Never even heard of ChatGPT

ChatGPT is generative AI. It reports of errors, I was curious.
Hi Ellie

You might find the Godescalco interactive planning tool useful - for planning of your stages and also to check against what was generated by ChatGPT

There is also Gronze as I and others have recommended, which provides a lot of good information on distances, elevations and accommodation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My cicerone guidebook arrived (English version by Dave Whitson). It is clear and concise in terms of accommodation--opening dates, prices, and amenities. Good descriptions regarding each stage. Small and thus easy to carry. The print, however, is small. In my case, reading glasses are essential.
I have already contacted gites to ensure they are open end of March. Yes, many are. Hooray!
I don't anticipate April will be busy. But who truly can know?!

That’s gréât news @sunflowers and gréât feedback for @Dave

How exciting for you. Not long to go. . Reminder that we will be living in Lectoure from 1 April - it’s a lovely stop on the Le Puy way. We would be happy to meet you (another Aussie) and also to offer any assistance you might need at any time.

You can always send me a PM and I can give you our number etc.

Bon chemin pèlerine ❤️

I think this is rather unfair. When I walked the Le Puy, there were many nationalities on the chemin. As to the sociability of French people, I found them very agreeable and shared the route with several both singly and small groups. Of course you'll always find some taciturn people in every race but for me, making the effort to speak (very poor) French paid dividends, there was a great deal of sharing and caring from people. As to the costs, I also thought the charges were reasonable and many gites des tape offered donations for pilgrims who were hard-up.
I would do it again if I could and it's only I'll health that has prevented me.
So, courage mon ami, take a risk and plunge yourself into the mileu of the Le Puy, and enjoy the experience!
Bon camino!

I think this is rather unfair. When I walked the Le Puy, there were many nationalities on the chemin. As to the sociability of French people, I found them very agreeable and shared the route with several both singly and small groups. Of course you'll always find some taciturn people in every race but for me, making the effort to speak (very poor) French paid dividends, there was a great deal of sharing and caring from people. As to the costs, I also thought the charges were reasonable and many gites des tape offered donations for pilgrims who were hard-up.
I would do it again if I could and it's only I'll health that has prevented me.
So, courage mon ami, take a risk and plunge yourself into the mileu of the Le Puy, and enjoy the experience!
Bon camino!
Totally agree!

Download the Podiensis app. It’s purple. It has the distances mapped out the entire way with accommodation in the very vlllage. I don’t like walking more than 18 and the app has been a great help, especially for bookings

I have walked the Le Puy Route x 3 because I love it so much for reasons others have mentioned. I have also loved the Gebennensis from Geneva to Le Puy and did it twice. It is Primitivo like in scenery and difficulty and has good network of gite communal accommodation and private donativo hosts. Real emmersion into French life. It is not busy and May would be good.
I did the Primitivo this year and loved it also.
The Portuguese options are much less rural and remote and have lots of Asphalt.
Hello, what guide did you use for Geneva to Le Puy? How was your experience re accomodation? Thanks!

Hello, what guide did you use for Geneva to Le Puy? How was your experience re accomodation? Thanks!
The yellow book from Association de St Jacques de Compostelle/ Rhone d'Alpes, it listed all accommodations incl private Accueil Jacquaire places.
I had a somewhat useless Rother guide, mainly for the basic maps, but it wasn't worth carrying.
I loved the accueil jacquaire experiences and there was a good splattering of gite communal set ups.
That was pre covid.

Last edited:
Download the Podiensis app. It’s purple. It has the distances mapped out the entire way with accommodation in the very vlllage. I don’t like walking more than 18 and the app has been a great help, especially for bookings
The Wise Pilgrim guide I think.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup, it's called Via Podiensis : Wise Pilgrim

Sorry, but the Via Podiensis is from Le Puy to SJPP. The Via Gebenensis goes from Geneva to Le Puy.
Thank you. But to be clear I was responding to the thread about the Le Puy to SJPP route, not the Geneva to Le Puy

Has anyone stayed at Maison au Loup in Le Puy? Seems nice but wondered about first hand accounts. Merci

I hope that this is the correct thread to post this on. Can anyone recommend a gîte in Nasbinals that offers demi-pension? The ones that I am seeing on gronze do not. Thanks!

I believe that that is in Aumont-Aubrac, I’ve stayed there before and yes it was great.

You are right, it is in Aumont-Aubrac.
In Nasbinals I was in La Grappière and there was no demi-pension. However there are many nice restaurants in the village, and you can have a (continental) breakfast in most of gites.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back