• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy en Velay in March 2020

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014) Portugues (2015) ingles(2016) Frances (2017)
Hi, I am English and I am planning to walk from Le Puy en Velay, starting mid March. Does anyone have any experience of walking this early in the Spring? All advice gratefully received!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Via Podiensi from Le Puy is marvelous in the Springtime! Do remember that many many gites are only open only after Easter + a week to get organized. Plan well. The first ten days or so are very strenuous, a good 150-200 meter climb in the morning then when you are good and tired a good 150-200 meter descent in the evening. I also started in March and hit a blizzard crossing the Aubrac plateau - snow was knee-high and falling so fast we couldn't see the elevated poles marking the Camino. Plan well. The route is marvelous my favorite of all the Caminos I have done. Conques is amazing-but do beware the descent into town if raining the path can be treacherous consider taking the road. Dinner in the church albergue is marvelous and the climb in the rain is also a slippery slide down a step for every two going up. Take a rest in Figeac and do a day trip to Rocamadour - not to be missed! 60k off Camino so take the train early morning and back by 1400. Cele Valley? Yes! Include the Pech-Merle cave of prehistoric wall drawings! Cahors-Le Relais des Jacobins, 12 Rue des Jacobins just across the bridge from the cathedral-Serge will offer dinner and the correct answer is YES!, Moissac another amazing church don't miss Jeremiah on the door jamb!!! Lastly stay with Rom & Aideen The Ultreia Moissac 45 avenue Pierre Chabrié by the canal across from the train station, forewarned! They are Irish so expect potatoes! That will do for now feel free to ask anything else here or from me.

I am walking the LePuy route right now and am curious as to why you want to walk this route in March. From LePuy to Figeac I can't begin to remember how many times I thanked the Camino gods for dry weather. There were numerous steep, rocky ascents and descents that would be treacherous or very slow going in wet weather, which is likely in March. But perhaps you are part mountain goat and seek out those opportunities.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I am English and I am planning to walk from Le Puy en Velay, starting mid March. Does anyone have any experience of walking this early in the Spring? All advice gratefully received!
You may want to move this post to the Caminos in France/Le Puy route thread to get more responses.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am walking the LePuy route right now and am curious as to why you want to walk this route in March. From LePuy to Figeac I can't begin to remember how many times I thanked the Camino gods for dry weather. There were numerous steep, rocky ascents and descents that would be treacherous or very slow going in wet weather, which is likely in March. But perhaps you are part mountain goat and seek out those opportunities.
No. No mountain goat in me... the reason for March is partly because I have heard that it is most beautiful in Spring and partly because it’s going to be a big chunk of time to fit in - and I have various commitments in May and June. Also walking the Via de la Plata in September/October...
The Via Podiensi from Le Puy is marvelous in the Springtime! Do remember that many many gites are only open only after Easter + a week to get organized. Plan well. The first ten days or so are very strenuous, a good 150-200 meter climb in the morning then when you are good and tired a good 150-200 meter descent in the evening. I also started in March and hit a blizzard crossing the Aubrac plateau - snow was knee-high and falling so fast we couldn't see the elevated poles marking the Camino. Plan well. The route is marvelous my favorite of all the Caminos I have done. Conques is amazing-but do beware the descent into town if raining the path can be treacherous consider taking the road. Dinner in the church albergue is marvelous and the climb in the rain is also a slippery slide down a step for every two going up. Take a rest in Figeac and do a day trip to Rocamadour - not to be missed! 60k off Camino so take the train early morning and back by 1400. Cele Valley? Yes! Include the Pech-Merle cave of prehistoric wall drawings! Cahors-Le Relais des Jacobins, 12 Rue des Jacobins just across the bridge from the cathedral-Serge will offer dinner and the correct answer is YES!, Moissac another amazing church don't miss Jeremiah on the door jamb!!! Lastly stay with Rom & Aideen The Ultreia Moissac 45 avenue Pierre Chabrié by the canal across from the train station, forewarned! They are Irish so expect potatoes! That will do for now feel free to ask anything else here or from me.
This is so helpful- thank you! I will look again very carefully at the timing. Sounds like I really must do it - but with care!🤭

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked from Le Puy in middle of August and in early May and the difference was big. August 2009, dry paths and nice walking conditions, early May 2013, wet, cold, muddy, chose the road several places where I knew the path might be difficult. I guess if I walked again I would never choose spring.

Last edited:
Looks rather daunting! Hmm - glad I asked. I will need to think a bit carefully!
Daunting? I was 68 years old and a certified couch potato - well - library potato. Not easy but certainly not daunting and the wildflowers and village gardens help you to forget the effort!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked from Le Puy in middle of August and in early May and the different was big. August 2009, dry paths and nice walking conditions, early May 2013, wet, cold, muddy, wet, chose the road several places where I knew the path might be difficult. I guess if I walked again I would never choose spring.
Thank you for the advice...

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back