• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy-en-Velay town

John Phillips

no longer young
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018
Muxia 2018
CDN 2019
Portuguese May2023
Is there a pilgrim office or any other "pilgrim activity" in the town?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there a pilgrim office or any other "pilgrim activity" in the town?

I don´t know of a pilgrims office but there´s a Tourist Information Office at
2, place du Clauzel.
And in "normal times" there´s a pilgrims mass every morning at 7:00 in the cathedral.

I have a vague memory of there being a welcome spot at the cathedral. Local volunteers being on site at certain times.

When I was there in 2012, one of the pilgrim gîte nearby was run by volunteer hospitaleros from the Association Amis de Saint Jacques du Velay, who shared a welcome drink with you before checking you in. I think you could just drop by for a visit if you stayed elsewhere.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As mentioned the Tourist Office can be very helpful in cluding helping with reservations and recommendations for places to stay, the Cathedral Gift Shop/Bookstore has helpful people and there is a book store and hiking supply shop around the corner from the Tourist Office.

In normal times, and during the walking season (April-October) there is a volunteer-run pilgrim office 'Le Camino' open for a few hours each day, not far from the side entrance to the cathedral. (Zoom in on Google Maps, just South of the cathedral to locate.) It takes the form of a cafe with terrace plus shop with books, map and pilgrim paraphenalia during the afternoon.
In the early evening (check notice on the door for times), there is usually a pilgrim welcome event, lubricated in the French way with a glass of something, which is a chance to meet those you might see in the pilgrim mass or on the road the following morning and receive any last minute helpful advice.
Pilgrim Mass is at 7.00 am, usually in an intimate side chapel within the cathedral. Well worth attending, even if you're not particularly adherent, for the informal group chat with the priest (or even Bishop!) afterwards, credential stamp and keepsake. The personal intro, sorted by geography, of each pilgrim group helps to unlock everyone's shyness before the main door facing west is opened and the journey begins (or continues if you've walked from Geneva!)

In normal times, and during the walking season (April-October) there is a volunteer-run pilgrim office 'Le Camino' open for a few hours each day, not far from the side entrance to the cathedral. (Zoom in on Google Maps, just South of the cathedral to locate.) It takes the form of a cafe with terrace plus shop with books, map and pilgrim paraphenalia during the afternoon.
In the early evening (check notice on the door for times), there is usually a pilgrim welcome event, lubricated in the French way with a glass of something, which is a chance to meet those you might see in the pilgrim mass or on the road the following morning and receive any last minute helpful advice.
Pilgrim Mass is at 7.00 am, usually in an intimate side chapel within the cathedral. Well worth attending, even if you're not particularly adherent, for the informal group chat with the priest (or even Bishop!) afterwards, credential stamp and keepsake. The personal intro, sorted by geography, of each pilgrim group helps to unlock everyone's shyness before the main door facing west is opened and the journey begins (or continues if you've walked from Geneva!)
[/QUOTE
In addition to the excellent information Tandem has provided the French Federation of the Associations of St Jacques Better known as La Federation
In addition to the excellent detailed information from Tandem there is a Pilgrim Information Centre staffed by volunteers from the Federation of French Associations of St Jacques de Compostelle.The address is 23 Rue des Tables , Le Puy en Velay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is (or was) an organisation, Les Amis du Puy, at 29 Rue Cardinal de Polignac, Le Puy-en-Velay, which opens at 6 pm - 7.30 to welcome pilgrims with une verre d'amitie (a glass of wine) between 1 April - 15 October. Good opportunity to meet fellow pilgrims.

I got my passport at the Cathedral gift shop.

Another suggestion I would offer is if you are arriving in Paris there (at least there used to be) a pilgrim office in Paris. It has alot of good information and guides and you can get your credential there. Of course no one spoke English and my French is about 0%. I still got some good information and learned I should have listened to the lady in the office as she kept handing me the Miam Miam Dodo guide. I bought the small Michelin guide book. When I walked I found it to be wholly inadequate. I know others feel differently. It wasn't until I was about 4 days out of St. Jean when I looked at the guide and realized how much better it was and so easy to understand even if I can't speak a word of French. I had been carrying the Brierley guide all the way for my CF segment. I should have bought the Dodo guide and bought the Brierley in St. Jean.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes the Dodo guide is fantastic for France. Do yourself a favor, before you go try to learn a few phrases that will get you through on the phone as you try to make a reservation. I am an extremely slow walker and found that the municipal albergues were full by the time I got there. There aren't as many in the GR65 as there are in the CF so chances are you will have to make reservations at a bnb at least once. Do it if you can, splurge if you can, all the food I had in people's homes was exquisite.
DUALINGO.com is free and very very helpful to learn a few french phrases and the locals will appreciate your effort.
Also the GR65 has lots of camping options(unlike the CF) so if camping is something that you'd consider take a tent and save a few bucks! The cathedral mass in LePuy in the morning is beautiful. Go if you can. Have a terrific time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, very helpful

she kept handing me the Miam Miam Dodo guide. I bought the small Michelin guide book. When I walked I found it to be wholly inadequate.

This was also my experience with the Michelin. The wee green booklet is a good size for pockets but seemed incomplete compared to fellow walkers' MMDD.

Yes the Dodo guide is fantastic for France. Do yourself a favor, before you go try to learn a few phrases that will get you through on the phone as you try to make a reservation. I am an extremely slow walker and found that the municipal albergues were full by the time I got there. There aren't as many in the GR65 as there are in the CF so chances are you will have to make reservations at a bnb at least once. Do it if you can, splurge if you can, all the food I had in people's homes was exquisite.
DUALINGO.com is free and very very helpful to learn a few french phrases and the locals will appreciate your effort.
Also the GR65 has lots of camping options(unlike the CF) so if camping is something that you'd consider take a tent and save a few bucks! The cathedral mass in LePuy in the morning is beautiful. Go if you can. Have a terrific time.
Great post. The language app. is Duolingo
Best wishes
Bryan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Apologies - the foreign language site is DUOLINGO.COM.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back