Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Le Puy gite confusion

kaylfrazer

Past OR future Camino
Roncesvalle-SDC (2001), SJPP-SDC(2003), Le Puy - SJPP (2011)
I am getting ready to leave for Le Puy in another month and am wanting to make a booking for a gite in Le Puy itself for my first night. I am looking for somewhere I can book ahead by email. I have read in several blogs that there is a Gite next door to the cathedral, Gite d' Etape Maison Saint-Francois I think, but the address given for this is in rue Saint-Mayol which doesn't seem to be close to the cathedral. Can anyone clear up my confusion or suggest somewhere close to the cathedral that I can book by email. thanks
Kay

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
D

Deleted member 3000

Soeurs de Saint Francois D Assise
1 Rue St Mayol, 43000 Puy En Velay Le, France
+33 4 71 05 43 42 ‎

It is just to the north of the cathedral.

kaylfrazer

Past OR future Camino
Roncesvalle-SDC (2001), SJPP-SDC(2003), Le Puy - SJPP (2011)
Thanks everyone, I will take a deep breath and try to email them in my very bad French. And also thanks to Falcon who earlier sent me a photo of a hands free umbrella.. I have had fun trying to make one.. we will have to see how it goes..
Kay

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

grayland

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Yes
It appears that the OP's question has been answered...so I will take the opportunity to detour.
What is the proper pronunciation of "Gîte "?

I can get by in Spanish...but even after 6 months in France I had trouble ordering water. :?

D

Deleted member 3000

Soft "g", I believe. Ditto the Gers region and its floc and armagnac. Gite has the hat on the "i", and that is a sound I never have been able to distinguish. I am told by those with an ear for sound that it is different from the "i" without a hat.

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
As for pronouncing Gîte, if you can manage something like dzheet it's a reasonable approximation.

To order water: Un carafe d'eau, S'il Vous plait. (un caraf dough, seel voo play)

grayland

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Yes
Kitsambler said:
To order water: Un carafe d'eau, S'il Vous plait. (un caraf dough, seel voo play)

I did know the french words.....it was just that no one could understand. The French people must not know French. :wink: :wink:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads