• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy gite confusion

kaylfrazer

Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalle-SDC (2001), SJPP-SDC(2003), Le Puy - SJPP (2011)
I am getting ready to leave for Le Puy in another month and am wanting to make a booking for a gite in Le Puy itself for my first night. I am looking for somewhere I can book ahead by email. I have read in several blogs that there is a Gite next door to the cathedral, Gite d' Etape Maison Saint-Francois I think, but the address given for this is in rue Saint-Mayol which doesn't seem to be close to the cathedral. Can anyone clear up my confusion or suggest somewhere close to the cathedral that I can book by email. thanks
Kay

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Soeurs de Saint Francois D Assise
1 Rue St Mayol, 43000 Puy En Velay Le, France
+33 4 71 05 43 42 ‎

It is just to the north of the cathedral.

Thanks everyone, I will take a deep breath and try to email them in my very bad French. And also thanks to Falcon who earlier sent me a photo of a hands free umbrella.. I have had fun trying to make one.. we will have to see how it goes..
Kay

It appears that the OP's question has been answered...so I will take the opportunity to detour.
What is the proper pronunciation of "Gîte "?

I can get by in Spanish...but even after 6 months in France I had trouble ordering water. :?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Soft "g", I believe. Ditto the Gers region and its floc and armagnac. Gite has the hat on the "i", and that is a sound I never have been able to distinguish. I am told by those with an ear for sound that it is different from the "i" without a hat.

As for pronouncing Gîte, if you can manage something like dzheet it's a reasonable approximation.

To order water: Un carafe d'eau, S'il Vous plait. (un caraf dough, seel voo play)

Kitsambler said:
To order water: Un carafe d'eau, S'il Vous plait. (un caraf dough, seel voo play)

I did know the french words.....it was just that no one could understand. The French people must not know French. :wink: :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back