• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy guide for new pilgrims

ChloeRose

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route and Camino Frances 2015/16
Hello all!

I walked my first Camino in April-July of this year. Best experience of my life! I started in Le Puy and took my time getting all the way to Santiago. I realized early on how much more difficult it is to find information as an Anglophone along the French routes, so I made a website for English-speaking pilgrims doing Le Puy. Many thanks to this community for answering all of my questions and making this trip and project possible! This guide is my way of giving back a little of what I was given.

Check it out: solocamino.com
Any notes on the site would be much appreciated :)

Bon Marche

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great site, thanks for putting that together!

I am planning on doing the Le Puy route next season so this kind of info is invaluable. Did you do any camping? I've read that it's more than possible to camp along the Le Puy and the Gites can really eat into your budget after a month or so!

I only did two nights of camping and it was with another group using their gear. It was extremely easy for them to find spots to set up, and we were very comfortable! The only trick was getting the tent and some of their equipment sent ahead of them each morning because it was quite heavy. A few times they were able to camp in back of a gite instead of somewhere on the trail which was perfect on laundry days!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great, thanks for the info. I read it's legal to camp on the Le Puy within a certain distance from the path. Good to know you can camp at some Gites. Best of both worlds, peace and good food!

Hello all!

I walked my first Camino in April-July of this year. Best experience of my life! I started in Le Puy and took my time getting all the way to Santiago. I realized early on how much more difficult it is to find information as an Anglophone along the French routes, so I made a website for English-speaking pilgrims doing Le Puy. Many thanks to this community for answering all of my questions and making this trip and project possible! This guide is my way of giving back a little of what I was given.

Bon Marche
Thank you! Your site is very helpful.

Hi @ChloeRose,
Thank you for taking the time to record your experience on the Le Puy route. My wife and I plan to walk part of this route in the Fall 2018. It will be her first Camino. Your website is a good resource as she begins to prepare both mentally and physically.
Thanks again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @ChloeRose,
Thank you for taking the time to record your experience on the Le Puy route. My wife and I plan to walk part of this route in the Fall 2018. It will be her first Camino. Your website is a good resource as she begins to prepare both mentally and physically.
Thanks again!

I'm glad the website is helpful during her preparations. Thank you for reaching out to tell me! Getting these notes makes me really crave the Camino again :)

Buen Camino, and good luck!

Thank you Chloe Rose :) Brilliant !
can you please tell me if this route also encompasses the GR70 , Robert Louis Stevenson route ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your information. I am a female in my 60s from California, USA. I plan to walk Camino from Le-Puy in April next year.
It will be my 3rd Camino. I walked CF in 2012, and Portugues way in 2016.
Is anyone plans to walk from Le Puy middle of April, 2018?

very nice site with lots of useful info.

for a half pension camino one really needs to plan about €35 per day. but if you stay in gites that have kitchen I think you can squeeze it through for about €25-30 with snack included.
many owners understand that for those who walk the whole way from le puy to santiago (or even start further back at home), kitchen is practically a must. so they often have a separate (small) kitchen for those who wish to cook themselves. sometimes you have to ask.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your information. I am a female in my 60s from California, USA. I plan to walk Camino from Le-Puy in April next year.

Hey Teresa,

I am also based in California (although originally from Australia), and planning on doing Le Puy -> del Norte -> Fisterre beginning in April 2018. I will look for you on the trail :)

Hi Teresa
I am also from California! I'm thinking of walking this route or the Camino Norte at the end of May. I've walked the Camino Frances in 2013 and 2015 and the Camino Portugues in 2014. Best of luck to you!

Hello all!

Bon Marche
What a beautiful site you've created! Very helpful...Le Puy seems more approachable now. I don't speak a lick of French...except for "désolé je suis un américain".
"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I am walking from Le Puy to either Conque or Moissac starting sometime in Mid April of 2018. First Camino experience. From California as well!

Hello all!

Bon Marche

Thanks for your fabulous site (now bookmarked). So much great info!! I feel rather prepared after perusing your site :)

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding luggage? I am going to go to Paris after the Camino to spend my birthday but have no idea what to do with my non-Camino luggage. Advice appreciated!

Thanks for your fabulous site (now bookmarked). So much great info!! I feel rather prepared after perusing your site :)

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding luggage? I am going to go to Paris after the Camino to spend my birthday but have no idea what to do with my non-Camino luggage. Advice appreciated!

Check out this thread that was supplied to me by another member:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/luggage-storage-in-paris.33863/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - I am from Cape Town and plan to walk from Le Puy starting beginning of May 2018 - maybe we will see each other along the way - what date do you plan to start walking?
Buen camino

Tickets are bought and we arrive in Paris June 21. Anyone else for a summer Chemin Le Puy?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, planning for the Le Puy to Moissac route, including two variants, early June 2018! Can't wait!
Hey Chris
I'm considering this also for early June.
Just starting to investigate and wonder if you have any idea how long it would take? How many stages?
Regards
Gerard

Hey Chris
I'm considering this also for early June.
Just starting to investigate and wonder if you have any idea how long it would take? How many stages?
Regards
Gerard
Hi Gerard,

Are you working on that book yet?:rolleyes:

I purchased the guidebook, "Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis" on Amazon awhile ago and a Camino friend I'll be starting with has the Miam Miam Dodo guide. Not sure if we need to add the Michelin maps, as well. I have not yet studied the stages, but plan to dig in after the holidays are over so we can lock in the flights.

I have started a couple of other threads a while back asking some questions and have been advised that this stretch should take about 3 weeks. The variants may add in a couple of more days, but they sound too special to pass up!

That's all I know at the moment, but hope to get my head out of the sand somewhat next month. Happy planning to both of us! :)

Thank you Chloe Rose :) Brilliant !
can you please tell me if this route also encompasses the GR70 , Robert Louis Stevenson route ?
I am thinking of part of the Le Puy route next year, but had forgotten about the Robert Louis Stevenson route, I bought his travel book with the donkeys , but have still to read it.
Bill

Merci Bucket @ChloeRose, an informative resource for like minded Le Puy enthusiasts. Some of your advice is useful and sounds like it was a well earned and learned experience, particularly regarding footwear choice and size. I've just returned from my second France and if (more likely) when I return Le Puy will be my starting point. Is it accurare that pilgrims exit the pilgrim mass via stairway that leads under the church to beginning of walk to outdoors path. I met a number of French Pilgrims who suggested this and if true sounds wonderful and peaks my curiosity further. Having completed the entire route, would you walk it again in its entirety or would you start in St.Jean. Do you have a preference? 🤠

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back