• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy guidebooks

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I will be walking this route with two Camino friends come June. One of them has the "Miam Do Do" guidebook, which is the most highly recommended. I purchased the "Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis" by Angelynn Meya, as it had good reviews and is in English. I like all the historical write-ups along the way, good info on the various lodgings in each town, and tips and route details, including the variants. What I'm not loving are the maps with miniscule little marks and numbers, practically requiring a magnifying glass. Also there are too many details of "turn right after crossing village", "take sharp left towards hamlet", "stay right at fork"...well you get the idea. I would need to keep my book open all day long, staring at each command, and it's written in a very tiny font, meaning I'd be wearing my reading glases perched on my nose all day, rarely getting to look around at the surroundings.

I'd like to bring my book along since I bothered to purchase it and it's kind of like a "security blanket", but I'm not sure now. I do think I may buy the Michelin maps in Le Puy if others think they are beneficial.

Anyone else use this book? And if so, did you really like it and thought it helped you enjoy your journey?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes i've got The Lightfoot guide. An excellent book. The recommendations are spot on.
I can't think why you would want to read a step by step description as you go. I suggest following the waymarks. If you do become unsure where to go next you could consult the book then. Put your reading glasses on in the evening and have a bit of a read about the next day's walk.
Your friend has the MMD which with your book are all you need. The MMD while having more places to stay doesn't have the great descriptions of the Lightfoot.
My top tip would be, if the Lightfoot says farm, go for it. Every farm i stayed on was great. The food was amazing. Normally using produce from that farm.
There is a farm in Larressingle that produces Armagnac, i didn't stay there but heard good things about it. The owner very generous with his produce.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes i've got The Lightfoot guide. An excellent book. The recommendations are spot on.
I can't think why you would want to read a step by step description as you go. I suggest following the waymarks. If you do become unsure where to go next you could consult the book then. Put your reading glasses on in the evening and have a bit of a read about the next day's walk.
Your friend has the MMD which with your book are all you need. The MMD while having more places to stay doesn't have the great descriptions of the Lightfoot.
My top tip would be, if the Lightfoot says farm, go for it. Every farm i stayed on was great. The food was amazing. Normally using produce from that farm.
There is a farm in Larressingle that produces Armagnac, i didn't stay there but heard good things about it. The owner very generous with his produce.
Very helpful advise, thank you. I will take my book!

The elevation maps can make things look impossibly difficult. They are probably too cramped.
If you are taking a smart phone or tablet with you i recommend Gronze.com
and this excellent site
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html
If you stay in Aroue book a bed at the farm Ferme Bohoteguia, big, clean, good showers, no bunk beds, 5 course meal with wine.

The elevation maps can make things look impossibly difficult. They are probably too cramped.
If you are taking a smart phone or tablet with you i recommend Gronze.com
and this excellent site
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/Selection/CarteFrance.html
If you stay in Aroue book a bed at the farm Ferme Bohoteguia, big, clean, good showers, no bunk beds, 5 course meal with wine.
I assumed and hope the elevations in the book are indeed cramped...they better be! ;) I've read the first week or so is difficult, but I've walked the Norte and Primitivo so hope it's not worse than those!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also, we are only going as far as Moissac, so Aroue will not be an option this time. I will try to stay at the farms when possible and I appreciate your website suggestions and will take a look at them. Many thanks for your helpful responses!

Question to Le Puy veterans...
Did you find it difficult to "find" the gite you reserved in advance? Did you use google maps and type in the address, or some other way? I do not speak French except for a few basic pleasantries, so if I ask locals for directions, I will not know what they reply, so not an option! ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if you come back another time to continue.
I found the hardest part was after Monistrol. Probably day 2. Wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been so hot.
Another place with great food was Gîte le Nid des Anges, in Lascabanes. Not a farm. It's in the Lightfoot. Possibly my favourite meal, and it's up against some very tough competition.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you find it difficult to "find" the gite you reserved in advance? Did you use google maps and type in the address, or some other way? I do not speak French except for a few basic pleasantries, so if I ask locals for directions, I will not know what they reply, so not an option! ;)
Most were on route or very close to it.
I don't recall it being a problem. One place i stayed at in Nasbinals (equestrian farm, great food) was a bit troublesome. I had to walk through the town turn right and it was a couple of hundred yards along the road.
I think i might have used google maps or the app Maps.me to help.

I wouldn't be surprised if you come back another time to continue.
I found the hardest part was after Monistrol. Probably day 2. Wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been so hot.
Another place with great food was Gîte le Nid des Anges, in Lascabanes. Not a farm. It's in the Lightfoot. Possibly my favourite meal, and it's up against some very tough competition.
Great tidbits of advice. I love gourmet, quality food. I just marked the gite in my book with a double star!
A question for you, Kayagee66... Did you walk the Frances? If so, did you use Brierely's guide? I loved the simple maps showing both the icon and names of each lodging. The Lightfoot does not name the gites with their symbols. Also, there is what apoears to be a "fork/spoon icon. Is this to indicate a cafe, restaurant or grocery stores?? It's a little confusing (but I do understand what the water spigot icon is.;))

i stayed at gîte etape La Magnanerie, in Livinhac. I knew i was in the right street but i must have walked past it at least 4 times before i found it. Lovely place, great garden.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I allowed exactly 4 weeks for this stretch, including travel from US and back, taking a train to see Rocamadour for a day once at Figeac, and walking the Cele variant. Sound about right? If not,we could bus or train a bit at the end if we are going too slow.

Great tidbits of advice. I love gourmet, quality food. I just marked the gite in my book with a double star!
A question for you, Kayagee66... Did you walk the Frances? If so, did you use Brierely's guide? I loved the simple maps showing both the icon and names of each lodging. The Lightfoot does not name the gites with their symbols. Also, there is what apoears to be a "fork/spoon icon. Is this to indicate a cafe, restaurant or grocery stores?? It's a little confusing (but I do understand what the water spigot icon is.;))
I'm not sure about the icon.
There are nowhere near the amount of cafes as the Frances. If you don't have breakfast you could walk for hours sometimes before you get anything.
Sundays most things are shut. Mondays too.
I used the 'Outdoor' guide on the Frances, and an excellent App from Atlas Guides.
The gps button placed me very accidentally.
The Maps.me app lets you download maps of the various areas (say Provence for example) so you can use it off-line and the gps is accurate.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I allowed exactly 4 weeks for this stretch, including travel from US and back, taking a train to see Rocamadour for a day once at Figeac, and walking the Cele variant. Sound about right? If not,we could bus or train a bit at the end if we are going too slow.
1 month from Le Puy to Roncesvalles.
No rest days, some long days. Didn't take the train to Rocamadour, but will one day. Didn't do the Célé variant. I imagine you won't run out of time.
I walked the Célé variant last year, it is great. There is nothing wrong with the normal route Figeac to Cahors. But the variant in my opinion is better. I did it in 6 days walking. The days are not long. If you stay in Cabrerets try to visit Peche Merle, on the route a short walk out of town. I visited it, then started my walk around midday. I still arrived at Saint-Cirq-Lapopie before the gîte opened. Saint Cirq Lapopie is another 'don't miss'
I rented a kayak in Marcilhac and paddled down the calm river to Cabrerets. A great day but quite hard on the arms. Only 25 euros, all the kit, the firm takes your backpack etc, you pick it up at the end. The kayak had a waterproof container for things you want to have with you.

€60,-
I do not see any gites for Saint Cirq in the guidebook, only two hotels. I have read it is a busy tourist town so it seems it would offer more choices.
I stayed here
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/loubolat/index.html
Really nice place. I had a bed in a room of 4. The other people didn't turn up.
When i booked by email i was asked for a deposit. I posted €10.
The owners also own a restaurant a stones throw away. Had an excellent meal there. Breakfast was in the gîte.
I recommend demi-pension (half board) everywhere, i was never disappointed.
I also stayed at the place in Pasturat mention by Dave, i stayed in the hostel part.

Saint Cirq is busy. Probably to do with it winning prettiest village in France. But mainly day trippers. It was very quiet in the evening. The walk along the river to Saint Cirq is stunning.

Attachments

• IMG_9186.JPG
    IMG_9186.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
.. Did you walk the Frances? If so, did you use Brierely's guide? I loved the simple maps showing both the icon and names of each lodgings.;))
Hi Chris
Re quick view map similar as possible to Brierley.
Have you looked at your friends Michelin guide yet.
It (IMO) gives a simple daily route map and other indicators (icons) on it like stops that have accommodation etc. it gives a few contacts for places to stay, (minimal ). On each daily page they also have an icon (pic of little man). If he’s green it’s considered an easy day , orange is medium, red is considered by Michelin as a hard day. I didn’t think they always were spot on but it’s encouraging .
For great detail on accommodation and lots more detail most people use Miam Miam dodo ., it also has Maps covering further distance so you can get a bigger picture. This guide is heavier than Michelin but it’s worth carrying both. Good tip ., just tear out all the stuff you don’t need to carry with you (after you’ve read through )., and continue to tear out daily pages and toss as you go.

Nowadays with more use of apps ., maybe some of these are unnecessary, I don’t know about that.
Bon chemin
Annie

A new question...
I am walking with two other Camino girlfriends. We do love communal meals and the opportunity they provide to meet others. We will be staying at many demi pensions along the way as it seems the majority of gites offer this option. I have read that it is often offered because there is nowhere else to purchase food unless you bring it from somewhere else. Is this true? We gals envision ourselves sometimes wanting to sit at a restaurant or cafe, under an umbrella on a nice day, ordering an appetizer or small plate and wine. Is this ever an option? If/when available, is it more expensive (or less) to eat by ourselves? In my research, I don't recall anyone mentioning restaurant meals. We ate this way quite often on the Frances and Norte roures in Spain and it was an enjoyable variation in addition to communal dining.

Last edited:
A new question...
I am walking with two other Camino girlfriends. We do love communal meals and the opportunity they provide to meet others. We will be staying at many demi pensions along the way as it seems the majority of gites offer this option. I have read that it is often offered because there is nowhere else to purchase food unless you bring it from somewhere else. Is this true? We gals envision ourselves sometimes wanting to sit at a restaurant or cafe, under an umbrella on a nice day, ordering an appetizer or small plate and wine. Is this ever an option? If/when available, is it more expensive (or less) to eat by ourselves? In my research, I don't recall anyone mentioning restaurant meals. We ate this way quite often on the Frances and Norte roures in Spain and it was an enjoyable variation in addition to communal dining.
You normally find somewhere to stop while walking, but not a lot. You do find places that have somewhere to eat out, normally bigger towns.
I would normally have a drink in a cafe/bar while looking at my guidebook for the next day, before going back to the gîte for the communal meal. Not all places have a cafe or restaurant. Lascabanes for example doesn't.
As the demi pensions meals are so good, at least 3 courses, and wine, i didn't have much for lunch. Often coffee and a brandy. Sometimes a small picnic.
If when walking you see a cafe, have a stop. You may not see another for a while.

I'd like to bring my book along since I bothered to purchase it and it's kind of like a "security blanket", but I'm not sure now.

For my electronic stuff I prefer a tablet with a physical keyboard (Android is my poison). This gives me all of a bigger screen for maps and reading stuff. The all up weight is around 700 grams. (I am using it in bed at 06h50 local to read this forum and post this reply.)

I keep it in a pouch slung between the straps of my pack so it is to hand (I have become quite adept at taking it out and putting it back "en marche"

Then, and for my own use only, I scanned whatever guides I thought might be useful in PDF format and put those files on my tablet. That way I could enlarge the "miniscule little marks and numbers, practically requiring a magnifying glass" to be more readable and in context of the bigger picture.

I do think I may buy the Michelin maps in Le Puy if others think they are beneficial.

Approaching Nasbinals I encountered a pilgrim consulting a compact map guide. And the shop just east of the church at Nasbinals had the same Michelin guide for sale. It fitted easily into my front pouch and from then on was my quick goto when I was on the marked way.

I so appreciated its comprehensive easy use I bought the Spanish edition at Saint-Jean as I continued on.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I used both guides: Miam Miam Dodo and Michelin.
Good accommodation info in the MMD and good elevation maps in the Michelin.

I also tear out unnecessary pages prior to my camino. Then I use the guide to record my journey. It becomes my journal. I date the pages, circle places where I stay, make notes right on the maps about the terrain, write comments about people I meet and the hospitaleros. I jot down notes about the accomodations and the food I eat. This way my days are recorded right on the map pages and I don't have to flip around from journal to guidebook to try to line up where and when events took place. Makes it so much easier to go back, years later, and revisit my camino.

I would carry both again, I don't use modern technology, so I rely on way marks and guidebooks and gut intuition. :)

Everything was easy in that rout. Super well signposted and always found the accommodation without difficulty. You almost don't need a map....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We gals envision ourselves sometimes wanting to sit at a restaurant or cafe, under an umbrella on a nice day, ordering an appetizer or small plate and wine.

I enjoy a mixture of all types of eating. Sometimes I snack, sometimes I eat demi-pension, and other times I splurge for a really good meal. The Le Puy route is different regarding food availability. Markets close during midday and many will be closed on Sundays, and Mondays too. Also, you can't get food in the bars like in Spain! I would suggest carrying some snacks.

Here's a food peek...

Yes, I carried a carton of juice:

Communal meals:

Foods to entice you:

Splurge:

Bon Chemin.

A new question...
We love new questions. Keep 'em coming!
I have read that it is often offered because there is nowhere else to purchase food unless you bring it from somewhere else. Is this true?
Quite true. The section of France traversed by the Le Puy route is under-developed and losing both population and businesses. In Some towns, the vacationing and expat Brits outnumber the native French (at least until Brexit - then who knows?) In many towns, the village baker closed and bread is now obtained from the delivery van or by driving some distance off-route. So demi-pension is more than a mere convenience most nights.
We gals envision ourselves sometimes wanting to sit at a restaurant or cafe, under an umbrella on a nice day, ordering an appetizer or small plate and wine. Is this ever an option?
In the larger towns this is an option if you're not there on "closing day", or if you're there precisely between the hours of 12 and ~1:30. Restaurants will be open until 2 but often will not serve if you arrive late. (Because real Frenchmen follow the rules, and everyone knows lunch starts at noon.)
If/when available, is it more expensive (or less) to eat by ourselves?
For an equivalent three or four course meal with wine, restaurants are generally more expensive.
We ate this way quite often on the Frances and Norte routes in Spain and it was an enjoyable variation in addition to communal dining.
Spanish culture (and population density) is different than this part of rural France.

Did you find it difficult to "find" the gite you reserved in advance?
Yes, this was a problem: it often made the last hour of the day the most difficult one. Nowadays, I enter the booked lodging in Contacts and then use Maps to reach it, once in town. This has saved lots of exasperation.

€60,-
Hi all, great discussion and very helpful for planning our journey along the Le Puy route. I was wondering however if anyone had come across a pilgrim's account of their experience walking the Le Puy route? Ive found a number of guide books online but not an account of a pilgrims experience.

Hi all, great discussion and very helpful for planning our journey along the Le Puy route. I was wondering however if anyone had come across a pilgrim's account of their experience walking the Le Puy route? Ive found a number of guide books online but not an account of a pilgrims experience.
Walked whole route twice and blogged twice www.gittiharre.blogspot.com

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My two friends and I leave Le Puy to start walking on June 1st. @Sunrayrob, when do you start?

Hello Chris, probably not for another 2-3 years unfortunately as we will want to take 3 months off so that we can walk on from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. This could be ambitious though as it only took us 10 years to plan and eventually find the time to walk the Camino Frances :)

A new question...

Hi @Camino Chris ,
I haven't walked the Le Puy route (yet) but my husband has. And I have walked in France on other paths....
Often there are no cafes or even if they are indicated in the guide book, they may be closed. No shops either. Restaurants may be 20 min away, but...by car!
Locals get their food delivered. (Bread van, grocer's van etc). I made sure when I booked accommodation that they could provide a meal (after going hungry!). Don't expect it to be like the CF in Spain, I had the shock of my life and...it is my country.
I may be painting a harsh picture but better to know ahead, then you may be pleasantly surprised. (I did walk the Via Francigena in France which is nowhere as known as the Le Puy route).
One thing I'm sure of, you'll find the countryside beautiful and the people.... Ferpect, of course ;)
Bon chemin :)
D

Thanks, Domigee, for that information! My wheels are already turning for next year and the Via Francigena is on my radar. I may have lots of questions for you down the road. :)
P.S. I've had a blast reading, liking, and posting on your "Not a serious thread". Lol.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

We're starting from Le Puy on May 10 and while I probably won't blog, we will be podcasting each night (or as often as we can given wifi) on our daily experiences. You might find this a useful way to get an account of the experience. The link to the podcast should be in the signature below. We've already got an introductory episode up on the site.

We're starting from Le Puy on May 10 and while I probably won't blog, we will be podcasting each night (or as often as we can given wifi) on our daily experiences. You might find this a useful way to get an account of the experience. The link to the podcast should be in the signature below. We've already got an introductory episode up on the site.

Hi David and Kelly, just listened to your podcast and have subscribed. We are looking forward to following your journey.

Rob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to say this but I found the Lightfoot guide very poor indeed. The maps are dispensible and the step by step directions are quite unnecessary. The accommodation and food suggestions are a subset from Miam Miam Dodo so that only leaves a few brief notes on the attractions which are easily found online. The paper is absorbent so might be useful in remote parts. Bring MMD.

Hello Chris, probably not for another 2-3 years unfortunately as we will want to take 3 months off so that we can walk on from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela. This could be ambitious though as it only took us 10 years to plan and eventually find the time to walk the Camino Frances :)
Maybe we will see you! I’ve been lurking and reading. We are planning to walk Le Puy to SJPP in late spring 2020 to celebrate our retirement. We don’t like heat so we’ll take a couple months off and walk to Santiago either via the Norte or on the Frances via the Camino Invierno in the fall. Your question about blogs was great— it gives me lots to read as I continue dream about this next Camino!

I will be walking this route with two Camino friends come June. One of them has the "Miam Do Do" guidebook, which is the most highly recommended. I purchased the "Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis" by Angelynn Meya, as it had good reviews and is in English. I like all the historical write-ups along the way, good info on the various lodgings in each town, and tips and route details, including the variants. What I'm not loving are the maps with miniscule little marks and numbers, practically requiring a magnifying glass. Also there are too many details of "turn right after crossing village", "take sharp left towards hamlet", "stay right at fork"...well you get the idea. I would need to keep my book open all day long, staring at each command, and it's written in a very tiny font, meaning I'd be wearing my reading glases perched on my nose all day, rarely getting to look around at the surroundings.

I'd like to bring my book along since I bothered to purchase it and it's kind of like a "security blanket", but I'm not sure now. I do think I may buy the Michelin maps in Le Puy if others think they are beneficial.

Anyone else use this book? And if so, did you really like it and thought it helped you enjoy your journey?

€60,-
I, too, am starting the Le Puy route in June. I purchased the Lightfoot Guide and have the same opinions about it as you do. The print is very small. (I am intending to take along a small magnifying glass). And who really needs such detailed instructions for route finding? Nevertheless, I like the recommendations and summaries for the day's travel and the detailed information about accommodation and eateries. I also have the Michelin map book and the maps are a bit better. Although the elevation diagrams in the Lightfoot Guide make it all appear a bit daunting, that is only because of the difference in scale from the horizontal distances. I prefer the elevation diagrams in the Michelin book. On previous treks I cut our the pages I will need for that day and tuck them into my pocket for quick reference. I hate to do that to a book, but....

Maybe we will see you! I’ve been lurking and reading. We are planning to walk Le Puy to SJPP in late spring 2020 to celebrate our retirement. We don’t like heat so we’ll take a couple months off and walk to Santiago either via the Norte or on the Frances via the Camino Invierno in the fall. Your question about blogs was great— it gives me lots to read as I continue dream about this next Camino!

That would be wonderful - 2020 is within our time frame. We are tossing up about whether to do the walk in Spring or Autumn, both have their pros and cons. We walked the Frances in September last year and the weather was great - only 3 days of rain but we missed not seeing the sunflowers in bloom.

No problem/s finding the GdE / CHs reserved in advance ... am not sure about Google Maps but I imagine so [maybe, maybe not] ... I use iPhiGéNie and it’s a cinch for finding accommodation ... in the villages and some of the bigger towns as well you will see signs to direct you, but not always ... Maps.Me is another option

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do not see any gites for Saint Cirq in the guidebook, only two hotels. I have read it is a busy tourist town so it seems it would offer more choices.

the hotel «Auberge du Sombral» right opposite the Office de Tourisme is excellent!! and it has a restaurant too ... warm hospitality, lovely rooms and the best showers you’ll come across

Sorry to say this but I found the Lightfoot guide very poor indeed. The maps are dispensible and the step by step directions are quite unnecessary. The accommodation and food suggestions are a subset from Miam Miam Dodo so that only leaves a few brief notes on the attractions which are easily found online. The paper is absorbent so might be useful in remote parts. Bring MMD.

please ... don’t get me started on guidebooks ... MMD is excellent now that they have improved their maps but there’s no commentary on the accommodation and the listings are incomplete [as places pay to be listed in the guide and I have noticed quite a few omissions in the latest editions], so that’s where Lightfoot comes in [for planning at least] but the profile diagrams [way too much vertical exaggeration] and the maps are pretty ordinary ... and who needs a step by step guide??

If you speak «un peu français» the best guidebooks imho are the FFRP TopoGuides with their wonderful topo maps and there are no set stages so you are free to plan your own Way ... what we need for the Le Puy route is a guide not disimilar to the ones that Ivar sells for the Camino Francès and Del Norte, etc ... I think they are called the Wise Pilgrim guides ... and there is at least one excellent Camino guidebook in Spanish that has it all : excellent, easy-to-read maps and profile diagrams without VE ... time for apéro

.....There is a farm in Larressingle that produces Armagnac, i didn't stay there but heard good things about it. The owner very generous with his produce.

We did stay there and indeed it was one of the most memorable nights of all our caminos. We stayed in a little cottage slightly away from the main farm house (which includes gite style dormitory accommodation). We all ate dinner together in the farm house - a m a z i n g!

Not only was the five course meal superb, but the wine (which they produce, as well as Armagnac) flowed very freely, and was topped off by lots of Armagnac, liqueurs made out of Armagnac, and finally, cherries in Armagnac!

We staggered back, very late, to our little cottage in the field. It had large open windows. Half way through the night a friendly horse, whose field we were sharing, poked its head through the window, just above our beds. And I'm sure it was indeed a real horse and not a ghostly apparition. Or the effects of too much Armagnac.

Highly recommended - except that we were there in 2012 and thing do change!

@Camino Chris another place where we had a great communal meal (and before Moissac) was at Villeret-d'Apchier - at the Gîte d'tape Auberge des 2 Pelerins. I remember fresh garden vegetables, a delicious casserole of rabbit, a superb selection of cheeses, dessert, and after dinner liqueurs. Very generous and kindly people. Again, it might have changed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did stay there and indeed it was one of the most memorable nights of all our caminos. We stayed in a little cottage slightly away from the main farm house (which includes gite style dormitory accommodation). We all ate dinner together in the farm house - a m a z i n g!

Not only was the five course meal superb, but the wine (which they produce, as well as Armagnac) flowed very freely, and was topped off by lots of Armagnac, liqueurs made out of Armagnac, and finally, cherries in Armagnac!

We staggered back, very late, to our little cottage in the field. It had large open windows. Half way through the night a friendly horse, whose field we were sharing, poked its head through the window, just above our beds. And I'm sure it was indeed a real horse and not a ghostly apparition. Or the effects of too much Armagnac.

Highly recommended - except that we were there in 2012 and thing do change!

@Camino Chris another place where we had a great communal meal (and before Moissac) was at Villeret-d'Apchier - at the Gîte d'tape Auberge des 2 Pelerins. I remember fresh garden vegetables, a delicious casserole of rabbit, a superb selection of cheeses, dessert, and after dinner liqueurs. Very generous and kindly people. Again, it might have changed.
Sounds great. It was 18 months ago at Larressingle so it hadn't changed much. One man i met walked for another week, then went back to help with the grape harvest.
I'll definitely give it a try next time i'm that way. 2020 hopefully.

Kanga, I marked my guidebook with your recommendation of the great meal. Hope they still offer it. I am already salivating!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It will be two years before I start my walk, from Le Puy France to Finesterre. My question is regarding the MMP guidebooks. Are they changed annually, and are they available in English. The only ones I can find are either new and in French, or some outdated ones for sale on Amazon that do not give what language they are in. If the MMP guides are revised annually, where is a good place to watch for them to become available closer to my dates. Wish I could go now, but have to wait until after retirement due to job restrictions. Keeping myself happy now with shorter week long, sometimes two week alternative walks.

G’day Winston ... are you referring to the Miam Miam Dodo [MMD] guidebooks ... they are updated annually and are available direct from the publisher [Les Editions de Vieux Crayon] at this address ... http://www.levieuxcrayon.com/guide-...onnee-compostelle-gr-65-voie-puy-et-variantes ... they may be available from Amazon but not necessarily the current edition ... my advice is to check carefully before you buy. MMD guides are not published in english [imho not a serious issue as they use icons and symbols and are very easy to follow] ... but the companion app is 🙏😀🙏 Not all available accomms. are listed in the MMD but the vast majority.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been looking at the app. Looks very helpful. Thank you so much for the information.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back