• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Le Puy in JUNE...question.

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have always walked Spain Caminos in April/May and used a lightweight sleeping bag. This year I am going on the Via Podiensis for the month of June as far as Moissac and will be taking a sleeping liner for the first time since it is "summer". We will mostly be staying in gites and I've read they usually provide blankets. I was wondering if they will be cold at night or if they potentially could be hot and stuffy. I'm thinking of bringing some kind of nightwear for the first time, but unsure on what type. I have no idea what to expect with the weather. I've read everything from snow/sleet/high winds the first week to hot!...**confused**!

Anyone else walk this route in JUNE and can provide me with some info on your experiences? Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm wondering the same thing for walking Le Puy to SJPP in Aug. :) Seems it will be plenty warm. Wondering also about the necessity of a poncho in Aug. I always bring one, but it may just be wasted weight. Any advice for Aug as well would be welcome! Have an awesome walk, Camino Chris! I guess in French, it will be Bon Camino? :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've read everything from snow/sleet/high winds the first week to hot!...**confused**!

Anyone else walk this route in JUNE and can provide me with some info on your experiences? Thanks!
July on the Geneva route in 2017 had a few quite hot days. August is hot enough that many gites on the Le Puy route close due to the small number of walkers, according to some owners. In September, with hot days, some nights were cool enough I enjoyed having lightweight down bag. June still counts as Spring, you know - so weather can be variable, with cool nights possible until after Conques. Snow and sleet would be highly unlikely, however.

Bon chemin, or bon route

Hi,

In fact "Bonne route" ou "Bon chemin". But not as widely used as in Spain. You will also hear "Bon courage" when leaving (you need some...)

Rain is likely all year round. The Atlantic ocean is not far away. Have you noticed how green is the Pays Basque ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
June is a great time to walk the Le Puy route - as Kitsambler says, it's still Spring. Expect bright sunny mornings, cool air, larksong - and the (very) occasional shower. Yes, it can be cool in the evenings at altitude, but most gites have blankets. Unlikely to be hot and stuffy, and snow/sleet improbable. High winds possible on the Aubrac plateau, but nothing like that on the Route Napoleon.
You will be wished bon chemin (it's a masculine noun) et bon courage (it means good luck.)

@Camino Chris , greetings

I started from Le Puy in April 2016 and used my lightweight sleeping bag as a cover only.

I have a silk liner which I leave at home. It weighs 100 grams.

My maths say it is better to carry the 400 gram 5 C / 40 F bag as it gives assurance in all situations,

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I have always walked Spain Caminos in April/May and used a lightweight sleeping bag. This year I am going on the Via Podiensis for the month of June as far as Moissac and will be taking a sleeping liner for the first time since it is "summer". We will mostly be staying in gites and I've read they usually provide blankets. I was wondering if they will be cold at night or if they potentially could be hot and stuffy. I'm thinking of bringing some kind of nightwear for the first time, but unsure on what type. I have no idea what to expect with the weather. I've read everything from snow/sleet/high winds the first week to hot!...**confused**!

I walked in June. Just took double sleeping bag silk liner. There were blankets everywhere. I slept in a lightweight viscose tunic dress. Other times I slept in silk boxers and stretchy yoga tshirt.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked in June. Just took double sleeping bag silk liner. There were blankets everywhere. I slept in a lightweight viscose tunic dress. Other times I slept in silk boxers and stretchy yoga tshirt.
Hi Gitti, Thanks. Also wondering if I should bring one long pants and one shorts, or just two pair of shorts.

Hi Gitti, Thanks. Also wondering if I should bring one long pants and one shorts, or just two pair of shorts.
I walked in shorts and had a pair of 3/4 length lightweight Verge cargo pants and light silk tunic which I wore over stretchy silk singlet. Pants were good for evening but could also be used for walking.

I took a uniqulo light down jacket and short sleeve merino top. I needed all these items as it was cold and rainy in Nasbinals for a couple of days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks all for the info. I will be starting from Ley Puy on the 22 Jun to SJPDP. Did the Frances from SJPDP in Sep 16 and took a light sleeping bag and silk liner. Just used the liner most of the time however did need the sleeping bag a few times. Not taking a sleeping bag on the Le Puy route however plan to take a light fleece sleeping bag liner <500g. Much lighter than the sleeping bag although heavier than just a silk liner. Just in case I change my mind and keep going all the way to Santiago! Also for emergencies I also carry an emergency space blanket bag thing if something unpredictable happens and I get stuck outside somewhere.
Bon courage

I always take my sleeping bag (the lighter one, 500gr) and thermo tights, a cotton shirt and a fleece for sleeping, no matter the season or the weather. I found some nights on via podiensis quite cool even in july. but then I am a real friend of nice hot summers. :cool:

Back