• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy in May

Sue M

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-Burgos(2012)Leon-Santiago(2013)Sarria- Santiago(Sept 2013),Frances (coach,2013),Le Puy-Conques(May 2014), parish pilgrimage organised for June 2015.
I walked the Camino Frances (except the Meseta, sadly) last year. This May I am walking from Le Puy to Conques. Will it be similar. or different?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderfully different! I enjoyed the chemin so much that I am returning to France next week to walk the Vezelay Camino.

Wonderfully different! I enjoyed the chemin so much that I am returning to France next week to walk the Vezelay Camino.

Miki,

Do savor the special spirit of "la colline éternelle".

May you have another wonderful camino!
דרך צלחה and bon chemin!

Margaret Meredith

I walked the Camino Frances (except the Meseta, sadly) last year. This May I am walking from Le Puy to Conques. Will it be similar. or different?
Very different. You will love it I'm sure.
Vive la Différence et La Belle France! Très jolie.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Miki,

Do savor the special spirit of "la colline éternelle".

May you have another wonderful camino!
דרך צלחה and bon chemin!

Margaret Meredith
Thanks Mararet I know that I will not be able to walk from Vezelay to Santiago at one go so I will be walking slowing, staying over at "the eternal hill" and many other intriguing places, following side routes, utilizing intuition, listening avidily to rumors, and otherwise diverting from the chemin all in order to better savour the experience. If I make it even s far as only Perigueux, I will be a very happy pilgrim. One week to go!
Miki

Well, you seem to be agreed that Le Puy to Conques is going to be DIFFERENT to the Camino Frances - but HOW? In what way? What should I be expecting?

Well, you seem to be agreed that Le Puy to Conques is going to be DIFFERENT to the Camino Frances - but HOW? In what way? What should I be expecting?
Hi Sue,

Yes Yes different country different walk............Stay in the pilgrims accommodation at the Abbaye St Foy and say hello to Prior Cyrill...........The high level tour of the Abbaye up above the nave well worth while for a few euros.
I was invited to give a reading at the pilgrims mass, but I explained to the Prior that I was not really religious. He replied that he had visited St Davids Cathedral in West Wales, but he was not Welsh. I liked that comparison.

Enjoy and Bon Chemin........................Keith from Wales.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Check your email, I sent you a long conversation

The local language is French, the food is French, the people are French. The people are incredibly kind to pilgrims. They KNOW they are the luckiest people on earth, being French and living in France, and they rather pity those who aren't. Intellectual discourse is a way of life - and French people can be very straight in their views (don't argue!). Food is taken very seriously, not just as a way of sustaining life. It is almost without exception delicious. The timetable for eating is closer to what we are used to (lunch at midday, dinner at 7pm). The landscape is greener and softer. The distances between towns is further. The towns themselves are generally larger. The GR takes you up hills and down dales to avoid roads and to ensure you get plenty of exercise - even though there is a little road running straight to your destination.

Thanks! Not sure my French extends to 'intellectual discourse' but prepared to give it a go!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A summary of differences between the Le Puy and Camino Frances routes:
- In Spain, you walk with the world. In France, you walk with the French (well, 85% anyhow). More Germans and Americans in Spain.
- In Spain, it's pilgrims walking. In France, it's walkers on the routes, with an occasional pilgrim.
- In Spain, lodgings are less expensive (due perhaps to the preponderance of large dormitories - and the crowds). Lodgings in France invariably have blankets available.
- In France, the food is ... French! Local delicacies are proudly shared. Meal hours are civilized. Breakfast is bread and coffee. Self-catering (kitchen priviledges) is a challenge to find.
- In Spain, you can just drop in for lodgings. If full, walk another 2km and you'll find some. In France, it is customary to call a day in advance for lodgings. If full, you might need to get to the next town, another 15km.

- In Spain, you walk with the world. In France, you walk with the French (well, 85% anyhow). More Germans and Americans in Spain.
- In Spain, it's pilgrims walking. In France, it's walkers on the routes, with an occasional pilgrim.
- In Spain, lodgings are less expensive (due perhaps to the preponderance of large dormitories - and the crowds). Lodgings in France invariably have blankets available.
- In France, the food is ... French! Local delicacies are proudly shared. Meal hours are civilized. Breakfast is bread and coffee. Self-catering (kitchen priviledges) is a challenge to find.
- In Spain, you can just drop in for lodgings. If full, walk another 2km and you'll find some. In France, it is customary to call a day in advance for lodgings. If full, you might need to get to the next town, another 15km.

I agree with this, except I've never had to walk another 15km to the next town. Occasionally we're had to walk 3 or 4 km off the track to alternative accommodation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
FWIW I'm starting from Le Puy later in May. Hoping for the holiday rush to be reducing slightly. Will be carrying my little tent as I expect the gites will be heaving and at least I will have the option to camp. The good thing I think will be that it will be easy to make friends along the way. Not particularly good with just my own company. Oh what an adventure :)

-
- In France, the food is ... French! Local delicacies are proudly shared.

I intend to start mid April 2015. Will I need to take my sleeping bag and sleeping sac, or perhaps both? Walking the Le Puy through to SJPD.

I intend to start mid April 2015. Will I need to take my sleeping bag and sleeping sac, or perhaps both? Walking the Le Puy through to SJPD.
You'll for sure need a sleeping sac. Blankets will be available, but springs can be chilly. If you "sleep cold" then you might like to have a very lightweight sleeping bag (or down quilt) in addition.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

You will need at least a sleeping sac. I carry a very light down sleeping bag liner that can be opened out flat.

Thanks to you both for your advice. I shall heed it.

FWIW I'm starting from Le Puy later in May. Hoping for the holiday rush to be reducing slightly. Will be carrying my little tent as I expect the gites will be heaving and at least I will have the option to camp. The good thing I think will be that it will be easy to make friends along the way. Not particularly good with just my own company. Oh what an adventure :)
We are in Cahors tonight. The weather is very changeable, some days hot, some cool, and today a thunderstorm with hail. So you need tobe prepared, if you think you will camp at all. In the gites there are always blankets but I don't think you would just want to roll up in one, I don't think it would be very hygienic. You could take a liner or a light sleeping bag or you can hire sheets and towels ( draps et serviettes, they come as a package) for 2 or 3 euros. That adds up in euros, but it is an option. ( I have a very light down liner that opens out and sometimes I hire draps et serviettes as a bit of luxury )
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Indeed all over France the saints de glace are making war- but it is about to change into summer as of the 15th - as is custom. Even here in normandie.
Buen camino.

Hi there...
I'm posting 'live' from the Le Puy route having started mid April. If you intend to stay in more upmarket chambre d'hotes you may not need one. But if you intend to stay in gite d'etapes etc I would recommend you bring a sleeping bag. I debated about bringing mine and ended up just bringing a silk sleep sack and even with the blankets provided it has been cold most nights (they don't seem to use heating on this route... perhaps to discourage bedbugs?). Blankets can vary in cleanliness too usually erring on the side of 'not washed recently'.... You can survive without a sleeping bag but if warmth and comfort is important to you then its a good idea to bring one.

Hi all,

I am setting off on Tuesday May 27th from Le Puy en Velay to reach either Conques or Figeac in 10 days walking. I walked from Figeac to Moissac last year and loved it! I would love to be able to get as far as Figeac in 10 days although its sounds like a tough challenge and I will review it after day 2 to see how the knees are holding up! My wife is travelling as driver and back up and we will be wandering about with our caravan basing ourselves in St Alban sur Limagnole and St Come D'Olt during the walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,

I am setting off on Tuesday May 27th from Le Puy en Velay to reach either Conques or Figeac in 10 days walking. I walked from Figeac to Moissac last year and loved it! I would love to be able to get as far as Figeac in 10 days although its sounds like a tough challenge and I will review it after day 2 to see how the knees are holding up! My wife is travelling as driver and back up and we will be wandering about with our caravan basing ourselves in St Alban sur Limagnole and St Come D'Olt during the walk.
Knees don't like being "pushed"!! Don't overdo it.
Are you using 2 walking poles? They redistribute 30% of the pressure on your knees
Best of luck.
I like your travel style. Might do it that way when darling husband retires.

Knees don't like being "pushed"!! Don't overdo it.
Are you using 2 walking poles? They redistribute 30% of the pressure on your knees
Best of luck.
I like your travel style. Might do it that way when darling husband retires.
I agree regarding the knees. I am using two walking poles thanks. The caravan/campsite option suits me at 57, but you do miss out on the camaraderie of fellow walkers in the Gites. However, you will all be relieved that I am not staying in the Gites as I am a world record snorer! Ruaidhri

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

We started in Le Puy last year (2013) on the 25th May and had snow during three days from Fay through to Le Sauvage (Chanaleilles)

Very different. Le Puy - Conques has brutal rocky downhills. Every day's descent is way worse than the descent into Roncesvalles and the one into Zubiri. But it's awesome.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes true, every evening practically you go down to a river to a town. Then next morning up and up and up. Makes a good way to digest your breakfast. Also lots of rocky gulleys to pass that may also be a local stream if the weather is bad.

Another late April/early May Question:

There seems a great variety of spring weather on the Le Puy route. In the interest of lightening the load, could a sleeveless thin fleece vest suffice instead of a long sleeve fleece? (Will obs take some sort of overjacket.)

Well, some days last year (2013) we were actually having 5!!! layers at certain times of the day. The wind and cold on the Aubrac plateau can be really something. What I would recommend instead of a full fleece is the thinner long-sleeved underlayer fleeces. We find them in Decathlon here in France, only cost around 4/5€. If you stand the cold OK you could then wear this thin fleece under a normal t-shirt (or the other way round) with your sleeveless over the top of that, and then your overjacket. I'm not sure what you mean by "overjacket" but a rain-jacket would be better. Keep the poncho in a side pocket of your rucksack as a last resort.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back