• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy in October?

Life keeps whittling away at my available times to return (CF 17). Please offer your experience on the Le Puy. I will only walk for 2-3 weeks, starting 2nd week in October—-weather? Available beds (prefer single rooms as I “purr” and do not want to disturb others)? Lonely with few pilgrims? Thank you for opinions/experiences/suggestions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
... Le Puy. I will only walk for 2-3 weeks, starting 2nd week in October
Walking the Le Puy in October, timing is everything. Many gites have planned closure from All Saints (Toussaint)(Nov 1) to Easter (Pascal). Those are the announced closings; with no reservations, Madame and Monsieur are likely to plan a quiet getaway to visit the grandchildren. There are also school holidays in mid-October (Vacances de la Toussaint) (check the schedule here: https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/france.html

Weather in fall is changeable everywhere; you might have fine sunny days, some chill rainy days, and the chance of snow at elevation. While there will be other walkers, there won't be many. I recommend booking accommodation a week in advance to ensure they will be open for you.

Life keeps whittling away at my available times to return (CF 17). Please offer your experience on the Le Puy. I will only walk for 2-3 weeks, starting 2nd week in October—-weather? Available beds (prefer single rooms as I “purr” and do not want to disturb others)? Lonely with few pilgrims? Thank you for opinions/experiences/suggestions.
Hi @Mobilemejen
Mine was mainly a positive experience but developed ‘corns’ which stopped my walking at SJPdP (it was early October then ).
Weather in September was glorious so you could be lucky during the day in October. (Although the rainy day I experienced was a cold one even walking).
Accommodation on this route is ‘different ‘ to Spain , in that there are many gites and I found you were better off booking ahead ., especially for the nights of weekends( best to make sure you have sorted bookings by mid week for weekends). Food is great and usually the places you book have demi pension (bed, dinner and breakfast ).
There are quite a lot of guide books out there.
Accommodation listed in ‘the Miam miam dodo’ guide includes information about inclusions like wifi or languages spoken, phone number , emails etc.
Also a great little guide as it’s a quick reference and shows daily profiles is the ‘Michelin guide’.
Stayed first 2 nights (in Le Puy) right at top so was close to attend the mass at start of day1. A blessing to all the pilgrims at the end of the mass. (Heaps of pilgrims !)
Mass was all in French (naturellement ).
However when left to my own devices further along the way, my schoolgirl French sufficed and later walked with an Irish couple with perfect French and later with 2 French Canadians who kept me practicing my French.

I’m attaching a link also for the Gronze Le Puy .(I hope I’ve done it right).
Not sure what you’ve found so far but may help others, if not yourself.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-le-puy

Happy planning
Annie

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back