• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy...Rome2Rio options from CDG

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Le Puy route veterans, I need some advise. Thankfully I'm not leaving until May 30th so have plenty of time to get my "ducks in a row" (or should I say "trains in a row"!) What method of transportation did you use in getting to Le Puy? On Rome2Rio they show about 4 different options, and each option has 3-4 stages of travel each. This looks very confusing to me...train, fly, bus, train, train, tvg train, etc etc. I will be with two friends heading to Le Puy, so we can probably figure it all out, BUT I will be returning back to CDG by myself and to be blunt I am a little freaked out:eek: on how I'll manage as I doubt my French will be up to speed beyond a few pleasantries. So, I am looking for the simplest, seamless way to accomplish this. The cost will only be a secondary factor to consider, not first.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what worked well for you.:)

P. S. I have always had a navigation partner with me on my previous Caminos in Spain and was still overwhelmed at the Madrid airport!:confused:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For simplicity I would take the train all the way; there is no need to move from one type of transport to another.

Train from CDG to Lyon Part Dieu, then from Lyon Part Dieu to St Etienne Chateaucreux and finally from St Etienne Chateaucreux to Puy en Velay.

Last edited:
Go on trainline EU website. Book CDG to Le Puy en Velay via direct train to Lyon. There you change to a smaller train and last stretch most likely bus. You can book the whole trip and get an online ticket up to Lyon, a voucher for the rest.
In Lyon you need to get your ticket voucher changed to a ticket at the ticket office. It is easy. Walk to Le Puy from station is 15 easy minutes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For simplicity I would take the train all the way; there is no need to move from one type of transport to another.

Train from CDG to Lyon Part Dieu, then from Lyon Part Dieu to St Etienne Chateaucreux and finally from St Etienne Chateaucreux to Puy en Velay.
Last July the train from St Etienne Chatesucreux was not running. You had to get off at a near by train station and take bus from there. Not sure if this is permanent. But if one books ticket through Trainline EU one ends up with right ticket and current itinerary.

Taking a quick look at the current train schedules (it does not go out as far as May), it looks like all trains are running along the route that @mspath suggested above. It was a few years ago now, but I took that route and it worked well.

It also appears that there are now trains direct from Lyon Part Dieu to Le Puy-en-Velay, thus meaning that there is only one transfer to make.

Last July the train from St Etienne Chatesucreux was not running. You had to get off at a near by train station and take bus from there. Not sure if this is permanent. But if one books ticket through Trainline EU one ends up with right ticket and current itinerary.

Thanks for these helpful specifics. Today the train from St Etienne Chateaucreux is working. However all types of problems might occur by next May.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have walked this route twice and have taken the train both times. It is very easy.
However, instead of flying into Paris this time, we are flying into Lyon. From there we will take the train again to Le Puy. I think there is one through train from Lyon to Le Puy each day. However, if you have to change at St Etienne, it is still very easy. We are flying into Lyon as we want to spend some time there before we start walking from Le Puy.

Camino Chris -- we traveled from Flensburg in Germany where we finished the Haervej in Denmark to Astorga where we were volunteering in Rabanal as Hospitalieros this past summer. Neither my husband nor I have any French at all. The French trains are great. SCNF has a great website -- (you can click at the top to make it all in English) and iPhone/iPad App (if you are travelling with a phone). I was able to make reservations from the US seamlessly and send electronic tickets to my iPad. We changed trains in Paris and in Hendaye seamlessly. Liz

Le Puy route veterans, I need some advise. Thankfully I'm not leaving until May 30th so have plenty of time to get my "ducks in a row" (or should I say "trains in a row"!) What method of transportation did you use in getting to Le Puy? On Rome2Rio they show about 4 different options, and each option has 3-4 stages of travel each. This looks very confusing to me...train, fly, bus, train, train, tvg train, etc etc. I will be with two friends heading to Le Puy, so we can probably figure it all out, BUT I will be returning back to CDG by myself and to be blunt I am a little freaked out:eek: on how I'll manage as I doubt my French will be up to speed beyond a few pleasantries. So, I am looking for the simplest, seamless way to accomplish this. The cost will only be a secondary factor to consider, not first.

P. S. I have always had a navigation partner with me on my previous Caminos in Spain and was still overwhelmed at the Madrid airport!:confused:
I used Rome2Rio last year to plan a route to Aire sur.... I tried BlaBla cars. Perfect car sharing arrangement. Instead of 8 hrs on bus train and bus again I had a 150 km car journey for 12 euros.
Good luck
Ps I am starting the Norte in June this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks, all, for the many helpful replies! It sounds like the train/s is everyone's favorite method of transport and if I can book the tickets online ahead of time I will feel more confident. I like the idea of the simplicity of blabacar. I know nothing about it, but will at least try to find out more info.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just had a notification that the thread I'd started has been moved. I had chosen "Le Puy route", so not sure what I did wrong. I don't care that it was moved, just not sure why...can someone explain so I can learn more about using the forum.?. :oops:

Last edited:
@Camino Chris , hi

Apart from "Je regret, mais je ne parle pas Francais" (taught me by ny sister in law) I have no French. So I empathise with you on that.

To help with jet lag (30 hours from home to CDG) and language I had my travel agent book from CDG direct to Lyon, That gave me a high level of comfort. At CDG the SNCF counter staff were most helpful converting my booking slip into a validated ticket.

I wanted to spend a few days in Lyon so did not book ahead from Lyon (including accomodation there). So I was relaxed about time of day I was to leave Lyon.

On arrival at Lyon Part Dieu, I sat in the main hall and studied the timetables for two days hence direct to Le Puy.

My arrival was about 17h and took about two hours in a grand relatively new TER train. The section from Sainte-Ettienne was impressive, not the least being the engineering to prevent loose rubble falling on the track.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

It is very easy. If the train does not run, the buses are parked to the side of the little station. You can either take a train from CDG or if you are in Paris catch a train from there. Direct to Lyon. Just over 4 hrs is the fastest connection for Le Puy. If you time so you have a wait over lunchtime, there is a restaurant diagonally across from the St Etienne Chatesucreux railwaystation with a marvellous covered outdoor dining space right at the back, can't see it unless you walk right through the place. They have the most amazing lunchtime menu of regional food. Very reasonably priced.
Instant holiday feel guaranteed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is very easy. If the train does not run, the buses are parked to the side of the little station. You can either take a train from CDG or if you are in Paris catch a train from there. Direct to Lyon. Just over 4 hrs is the fastest connection for Le Puy. If you time so you have a wait over lunchtime, there is a restaurant diagonally across from the St Etienne Chatesucreux railwaystation with a marvellous covered outdoor dining space right at the back, can't see it unless you walk right through the place. They have the most amazing lunchtime menu of regional food. Very reasonably priced.
Instant holiday feel guaranteed.
Thanks, Gitti. I did some research today and think we three will do fine with the trains getting to Le Puy and I seem to understand them better after everyone's input.

I do seem to still be having trouble researching how to get back to CDG from Moissac. It looks very confusing and that's when I head back to the airport alone! Any ideas on my return?

Thanks, Gitti. I did some research today and think we three will do fine with the trains getting to Le Puy and I seem to understand them better after everyone's input.

I do seem to still be having trouble researching how to get back to CDG from Moissac. It looks very confusing and that's when I head back to the airport alone! Any ideas on my return?
Goes Moissac Toulouse Lyon CDG. 3 changes. 5 hours 40 shortest trip.....
Go onto Trainline EU app.

Goes Moissac Toulouse Lyon CDG. 3 changes. 5 hours 40 shortest trip.....
Go onto Trainline EU app.
Hi Gitti, One more question...Will I be able to make these train connections in one long day to get back to CDG? I have reserved an airport hotel for the night before my flight home and hope I can leave Moissac in the morning and arrive at the hotel by evening.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Gitti, One more question...Will I be able to make these train connections in one long day to get back to CDG? I have reserved an airport hotel for the night before my flight home and hope I can leave Moissac in the morning and arrive at the hotel by evening.
Absolutely. There are several options. One leaves at 8.30 am and gets to CDG around 2 0pm.
You can find all the options on Trainline EU site. It will only let you look and book for up to 12 weeks in advance. I checked trains for March on a weekday and there were several a day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back