• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route- Bonneval Abbey?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Did anyone walking the Le Puy route take the variant to the Bonneval Abbey? It sounds like a very interesting detour and Im very curious about it. However, my guidebook says that although beautiful, it is not very well waymarked, and has challenging descents and a lack of walkers.
Waiting for your replies/opinions. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did anyone walking the Le Puy route take the variant to the Bonneval Abbey? It sounds like a very interesting detour and Im very curious about it. However, my guidebook says that although beautiful, it is not very well waymarked, and has challenging descents and a lack of walkers.
Waiting for your replies/opinions. Thanks!
For more re the Cistercian Abbey of Bonneval founded 1174 and since 1875 occupied by a community of nuns who are famous for their chocolate (!!)
see www.abbaye-bonneval.com
Both rooms in a hôtellerie
and a bunks in a gite are available for guests.

Last edited:
There is a road from Espalion that might be easier if it has adequate shoulders and has light traffic use. I suggest this as I prefer roads for their more even surface (even on the shoulders).

The Abbey appears to be about 7 km from the old bridge at Espalion. And the daily offices the nuns observe (per their web site) suggest to me a full 24 hour day (possibly involving two nights - arrive mid afternoon - depart mid morning two days later) would form a nice retreat about one week after leaving Le Puy. I regret learning about Bonneval nearly two years afterwards.

@Camino Chris , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
yes-- I walked the Bonnevalle Abbey variant in early October 2017. it was a beautiful walk-- I was alone most of the time. I spent one night at Condom D'Aubrac at the community center, and arrived the next day at the Abbey. It was a beautiful walk and I will remember it always. I was alone the whole way and the leaves were changing colors. Sometimes there were stone walls to either side of me-- higher than my head! The way is marked with blue arrows-- and they often don't show up as brightly as yellow ones. But it is marked. Sometimes the blue arrows are on the stones on the ground and are covered with leaves. The walk from Condom D'Aubrac was only 15km, so I thought it would be an easy day-- but the switchback at the end slowed me down-- especially as it was covered with thousands of rolling chestnuts. I will see if I can find my earlier post.

I posted this on Oct, 9th on a different thread. I'm not sure how to link it.
"I walked the Abbeye variant. It was beautiful, if a bit lonesome. I walked alone for two days. On Condon d'Albrac a kind woman at the village office opened the municple center for me, and the cafe owners opened the cafe so I could have dinner, breakfast, and a picnic lunch. Parts of the path took me between some walls higher than my heads-- with the paths only a meter wide! Between Condom d'Albrac and the Abbeye Bonneval was only 15 km so I thought it would be an easy and quick walk. But the paths were steep and the going slow both climbing up and making my way down. The path was lined with wet stones that shone with flecks if mica-- and there were thousands of chestnuts on the pathway. I fell three times, the second time I broke one of my walking sticks. There was no cell phone coverage and there was no one else walking-- so it was just me and God. On the third fall it took me numerous attempts to get back up-- there were just so many chestnuts and the path was narrow. I proceeded very very slowly after that fall. -- the actual stay at Bonneval was fine. It was very quiet-- I had a room to myself and meals with a few others --I was the only one walking. The singing was beautiful. The place is huge-- the chocolate is very good-- I only wish it were not so empty."

Thank you @kellymac, for such a detailed account of your experience on this variant. It sounds intriguing although a little treacherous in parts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you @kellymac, for such a detailed account of your experience on this variant. It sounds intriguing although a little treacherous in parts.
The treacherous part was just those chestnuts on the switchback into the valley just before the Abbey. My walk was in October and the chestnuts had fallen-- I think that in any other season the walk down would be safer. Also-- there were a couple places where I was looking for the blue arrows and afraid I had taken a wrong turn (I hadn't)-- These were places where I was going down hill and was hoping I wouldn't have to walk back up. The blue does not show up on wood very well-- you just have to keep a sharp eye out.

Last edited:
I just posted two photos showing the blue stripes that mark the way to Bonneval. You can see how the blue does not show up brightly on the bridge photo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for sharing the pretty pictues. I had to enlarge the bridge photo just to find the "little" blue stripe!
Here are two more photos for you: one of a rock on the ground with an arrow and one of Bonneval. Note the evil chestnut next to the rock-- just lying there looking so innocent. ;)bonneval rock arrow.jpgbonnevale.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back