• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route completed !!!

BShea

Time of past OR future Camino
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
I'm home safe and sound after an amazing 35 days of walking the Chemin du Puy... This route is breathtakingly beautiful and despite an early setback, I had a wonderful experience. I miss it already!!!

If you're interested in hearing more about it, you can check out my blog: bshea-mywayhome.blogspot.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear BShea,

Sounds wonderful. It is on my list, now... i just have to find the time.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound. I was following your blog and was wondering if you had a mishap, now I feel better!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Congratulations and thanks for the blog.
I'm considering same for 2017 and appreciate your efforts.
Regards
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can't believe how many entries I read before I realized I KNOW YOU from hiking in 2013. How many vegetarian B's from California can there be?

It's a great blog and brought back lots of memories, from the wonderful meal I had in Lascabanes to those nasty steps before Lauzerte -- I took the road the second time I hit that steep section. Also gave me some places to watch for the next time I do this route. (This year is Spain for me, about which I feel much the same as you, but for some reason it has to be done.)

Congratulations!

I'm starting to plan my 2017 Le puy walk to SJPD and I find your blog to be fantastic! Well done and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have a question though, how far in advance did you make your gite/hotel reservations? A few days, a few weeks, months?

Reserving a bed depends on a few factors... When will you be walking? Will you be alone? What type of sleeping accommodations are you looking for? Will you be carrying your pack or having it transported?

I calculated that there were probably around 60 walkers on each stage so the demand is much less significant than the hundreds walking the Camino in Spain. The only time I had a hard time getting a bed was the Saturday night of a long holiday weekend when everything was booked. My Australian friends often had trouble because they needed three beds.

Normally (non-holiday weekends), you only need to book the night before or even the morning of the same day. After Cahors, the baggage carrier service (Transports Claudine) requests that they be notified at least two days in advance, if possible. Once I figured out that 20-25 km was my ideal distance, I calculated where I would like to stay and pre-booked 3-5 days in advance.

I always tried to find gites that were demi-pension and I think these fill up faster. I know several people who never booked ahead, they just kept walking until they found something, but they were capable of walking 50 kms, if necessary. Most of the municipal gites (no meals) I stayed in had empty beds, even in May, which is the most popular month. There also seems to be a growing number of people who reserve and don't show up (a big frustration for the gite owners). If you're willing to chance it, even gites that were "full" ended up having beds available.

A couple of notes:

I were to do it again, I would leave mid-May so more flowers would be in bloom and more livestock in the fields. That is also after the 2 early May holidays.

The meals you get with demi-pension are well worth the price (usually an additional 12 euros for an all-you-can-eat dinner), even for a non-drinking vegetarian. I once got a salad in a café that cost me 15 euros. I know some of the meals I had would have cost at least $50 in an L.A. restaurant.

I'm home safe and sound after an amazing 35 days of walking the Chemin du Puy... This route is breathtakingly beautiful and despite an early setback, I had a wonderful experience. I miss it already!!!

If you're interested in hearing more about it, you can check out my blog: bshea-mywayhome.blogspot.com
Congratulations and thanks for writing the blog.
Loved reading it.
Wish you well, Peter.

I've enjoyed reading your blog! I've just got back from doing Le Puy to Conques (which I found much harder than anticipated), followed by a walk from SJPP to Pamplona, then a side trip to Jaca to see the ancient monastery of St Juan de la Pena. You can read about it on my blog, if you like.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear BShea,

Sounds wonderful. It is on my list, now... i just have to find the time.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy
Hi BShea,
I'm starting the Le Puy to StJPPP on 31st August - really looking forward to it! Thanks for blog which reaffirms my expectations!

I will be a few days behind you, starting Le Puy on the 17th.
Hilary F
Cool! Well, actually 14th after I factor in a couple of days in Paris, we may bump into each other :) I am giving myself a good 6 weeks so I don't have to pound along as much as I did for the St Francis.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back