• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route fiction/nonfiction

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
Does anyone know of a book, either fiction or nonfiction, about or that includes a journey on the Le Puy route? Or another French route? It would have to be in print and available in the US.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does anyone know of a book, either fiction or nonfiction, about or that includes a journey on the Le Puy route? Or another French route? It would have to be in print and available in the US.

Perhaps A pied vers Compostelle an
account in French of walking the French Way in 1956 (!!) by Dominique Paladilhe would be of interest. It is available as an ebook on Google Play. At the end of his life in 2015 Paladilhe who became a well known historian donated his Compostele to the museum in Puy en Velay.

https://www.pelerin.com/Pelerinages...dilhe-pionnier-du-pelerinage-vers-Compostelle

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/bibl...e/paladilhe-dominique-a-pied-vers-compostelle

Happy reading!

Last edited:
There is a thread about the book 'The Crossway' below yours. The author goes from Canterbury to Jerusalem. He's walking across France in the section I listened to on the BBC. Not sure it is exactly what you want, but might be worth a look - it is beautifully written.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love the Bruno series, by Martin Walker. The first in the series is Bruno, Chief of Police. Bruno lives in a small fictional town called St Denis, in the Perigord region. So not really on the Le Puy, but certainly on the Vezelay route, and very close to the Le Puy. Bruno solves murders, but in a very gentle way, and there's a heavy emphasis on good food, and relationships and characters in a small country town. Deep France. Here's a link.

Two Steps Forward is a novel that might fit the bill. From Wikipedia: "The protagonists’ route to Santiago begins in Cluny, France and follows the Chemin de Cluny before joining the Chemin du Puy (Via Podiensis) to St Jean Pied de Port, France, the starting point of the popular Camino Frances (French Way). They then follow the GR10 walking path along the Pyrenees to Hendaye, France, where they take the Camino del Norte and then the Camino Primitivo, joining the Camino Frances at Melide. The total journey takes them approximately 90 days. The book’s appendix notes that the authors walked this route together in 2011 in 87 days, covering a little over 2,000 kilometres."

“The Four Roads to Heaven” by Edward Mullins. Published in the UK & mailed from there, but I ordered it through Amazon in the US. Interesting discussion of the historical aspects of the trail. I found it fascinating and wish I had read it prior to my walk last year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Paris to the Pyrenees
A Skeptic Pilgrim Walks the Way of Saint James
by David Downie
Not sure if this is the route you are talking about but author walks across France with his wife. My local library had a copy.

Boots to Bliss by Claude Tranchant from Brisbane Australia!.- describes her journey along The Vezelay route in France to Santiago. A very good read indeed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
the authors walked this route together in 2011

And they walked again in 2016. I encountered them in mid April that year at Livinhac-le-haut where we and ten others had a meal together. I sat next to Anne Buist who warned me her husband was writing a book of their travels.

Then in October 2017 they were interviewed on radio about their book. One question: "Was there a character you met along the way ... who sowed the seed .." About two minutes later Graeme gave a description that several listeners, knowing my circumstances, thought it might be me and asked me if I had met them.

So far I have got to the point where, as individuals they are each setting off on their separate caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rob,

Comments re your Saint Faith fable written in 2013 but still valid today.--

It's always a pleasure to read your latest "local history" of the Lot valley! The Devil does, indeed, keep busy! Perhaps someday we, too, might share a truffle with a flute of champagne. Be sure to keep on writing these wonderful fables. .. Sancta Fides, Ora pro nobis.

Thanks for remembering me, ms. I've been completely out of walking and even writing action for some years with a non-fatal but energy-sapping sinus problem. I plan to be better soon and hope to get back to the Auvergne for the Saint-Gilles Way. Family say I'm past it, but little Saint Foy has her ways.

I see you're doing well enough (as always) on champagne and truffles. Maybe that's the diet for us.

Bon chemin

et un de ces jours...

Rob

And they walked again in 2016. I encountered them in mid April that year at Livinhac-le-haut where we and ten others had a meal together. I sat next to Anne Buist who warned me her husband was writing a book of their travels.

Then in October 2017 they were interviewed on radio about their book. One question: "Was there a character you met along the way ... who sowed the seed .." About two minutes later Graeme gave a description that several listeners, knowing my circumstances, thought it might be me and asked me if I had met them.

So far I have got to the point where, as individuals they are each setting off on their separate caminos.

I finished Two Steps Forward a few weeks ago (it's still sat in a bag to go to the charity shop - no reflection on the book, just bookshelf minimalism) so I won't give you any spoilers but I did wonder whether any characters would be drawn from forum members!

@biloute , I would recommend it as an easy read and reasonably priced.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back