• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route/GR65 campgrounds: electrical outlets? Tea?

ToilingMidget

Time of past OR future Camino
SDC(2013), LePuy(2013), Arles(2015)
I'm planning to camp most nights when I walk the Via Podiensis. I have a tent, but I'm not carrying cooking gear (trying to keep the pack weight down.) But I would love to be able to make a cup of tea before I start walking every day, and was thinking of bringing an immersion coil to heat water. Will the campgrounds have electrical outlets I could use to heat water (in shower/bathroom/laundry facilities)?

If not, guess I will have to learn how to make a penny stove (see YouTube how-to), because I really need some tea to wake up and get moving. (I can't drink coffee - allergic - so tea is my caffeine delivery vehicle.)

Any advice from those who have camped along the Le Puy route? Other places I could heat water for tea? Is it possible to buy tea in cafes along the route?

Thanks much for any tips.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My advise, as it's not easy to find denatured alcohol on the trail, cary a small and cheap gas stove and a small tea pot. Weight is nothing .
I hope you are aware of cheap prices at the gites on the trail and that you will need them for shower, laundry, cooking, company.

I do not think you will find so many campgrounds along the GR 65. There are fences everywhere too. I met a young boy who slept in a tent all the way but I think he used the gites for showers.Randi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm planning to camp most nights when I walk the Via Podiensis. I have a tent, but I'm not carrying cooking gear (trying to keep the pack weight down.) But I would love to be able to make a cup of tea before I start walking every day, and was thinking of bringing an immersion coil to heat water. Will the campgrounds have electrical outlets I could use to heat water (in shower/bathroom/laundry facilities)?

If not, guess I will have to learn how to make a penny stove (see YouTube how-to), because I really need some tea to wake up and get moving. (I can't drink coffee - allergic - so tea is my caffeine delivery vehicle.)

Any advice from those who have camped along the Le Puy route? Other places I could heat water for tea? Is it possible to buy tea in cafes along the route?

Thanks much for any tips.

I am wondering what you figured out to do. I bought a platypus water bottle (.8oz) in addition to my water bladder. I plan on filling it with water and place a couple tea bags inside. Then just clip it to my backpack. I figure the sun will brew the tea as I walk. I have used this method for road trips and camping. You just need a clear water bottle to sun brew. It doesn't take long in the sun either. I was hoping this would be sufficient for my camino.

One would need to carefully research MMD for the campground listings, as I really don't recall actually passing more than two or three on the entire route. I think the suggestion for a small stove is more reliable, and the same weight, as your coil heater. Cafes are only in the towns. Now, if you are using gites for showers and other services, you can get hot tea-water there. A lightweight insulated mug would serve you well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that's the "penny stove" that OP mentions as an alternative. Those alcohol stoves do require ... well ... alcohol. Here in the States, we use cheap Deet, which is a technical alcohol sold in auto supply stores for keeping water and ice out of your car's fuel tank. I don't know how available this type of fuel is in Europe -- but since every German hiker carries an alcohol stove of some sort, surely it must be easy to find. At the ironmonger's, perhaps?

In German we call it 'Brennspiritus', and yes, we use it as camping cooker fuel, not sure about the French word, me thinks it is simply ethanol. SY

you can buy the alcohol in any pharmacy in France or Spain - comes in plastic bottles, nice and small - cheap too.

In an emergency one can use Veterano Brandy!! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back