• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le puy route in aug 19 heat?

NomadBrad

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de frances

Next: Camin de norte and camino le puy
Hi all

I have done the Camino Franca in 2007 and planned to start Camino from le puy from tomorrow 25 July.

I am concerned about the weather is so hot. I will take lots of water and maybe send my larger bag (just take smaller) if days over 30c. Is anyone walking this route now or about to start that can tell me their experience is like or advice ?

Also do I need to pre book accommodation or just show up? Not sure how busy it is alos

Thanks
Brad

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm planning to start on 19th August so will be watching this thread with interest.
I've already booked first two nights and, depending on how many pilgrims I see, might book accommodation as I go along.

I started from Le Puy last year August 13th. I didn't find it anywhere as hot as Camino Frances the same time the year before. I had two hot days of 27 and walked to Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also do I need to pre book accommodation or just show up?
Europe is experiencing its second record-breaking heat wave this summer, and it's only late July.

https://www.insider.com/europe-heat...nfs3PdjRMjkb_2ociyxkka2gKrTm6IS_feRLSAvZZgxJc
Early starts, shorter days, and early stops will help avoid the hottest part of the day in late afternoon.
Check MMD to plan water resupply for the day's walk. Water resupply points are much less frequent than on the CF.

Also check with your lodging hosts and MMD for upcoming food resupply points. Food resupply points are also much less frequent than the CF. You will need to carry lunch provisions for several days with you due to the closing-day practices in France.

Since there are fewer walkers in the heat of August even in normal years, many gite owners take off on their own vacations or to visit the grandkids. So, booking in advance (even by a couple days) is even more necessary. And for demi-pension accommodations in France, you never "just show up", as the hosts need to shop in advance and prepare the evening meal.

I'm planning to start on 19th August so will be watching this thread with interest.
I've already booked first two nights and, depending on how many pilgrims I see, might book accommodation as I go along.
Def book. I just walked this route in the usually quiet month of June and there were bottlenecks. Not a bed free in Miradoux or Aroue, people had to struggle on in the heat and ended up getting a place off route. Some other days, lots of free beds, it was rather random. The popular places book out well ahead and there were quite a few sizable groups of french walkers ( 12 or so in group), who just about filled up the whole gite.

A lot of the places that include breakfast, don't offer breakfast early. Ask about a packed breakfast to take with you if you want an early start. It's never much more than bread and jam and coffee, but it's better than nothing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If anyone is now walking this route , what is the weather like? Is it still a heat wave and how bad is it on this route? Any other tips? I heard that the person at the gite or auberge will call ahead for you to get a bed as many of them have to plan on meals. Is this your experience? I will be there on August 7th.

what is the weather like?
Mid-80's over the weekend, cooling to mid-70's mid-week with thunderstorms. You can track weather on your smartphone Weather app, or use WeatherPro or Yr apps.

I heard that the person at the gite or auberge will call ahead for you to get a bed as many of them have to plan on meals.
Yes, this is quite true. But rather than say "Please find me a bed", say "Please call xxx place and ask for a bed". You definitely want to take the demi-pension option if it is available - who wants to miss out on French cooking?

I live in SW France and historically we've always taken a week holiday during the third week of August... the first two weeks of August are busy busy busy... it feels like the whole of France goes on holiday! The good side of this though is that there are lots and lots of fetes and parties everywhere!

Very often in August there is a Canicule... an alert that temperatures are reaching the point where it becomes dangerous. This year so far we've had two... there maybe one more. But... regardless of the record high temperatures, it's normal for us to get 36c in August. A few years ago we holidayed near Condom on Le Puy... it was too hot to walk. A few years before we were near Figeac and it wasn't so bad.

This year the weather has been crazy and I would say it feels more like the end of August right now as the evenings are cooling down? Who knows what will happen? I think all bets are off? We've decided to take our holidays later though... Generally August is just a bit too hot for us.

I'm not sure I've helped much but temperatures are high at the moment and SW France is very busy... so book ahead and drink lots and rest lots... also the hottest part of the day for us is 17h... mornings are generally much cooler.

I'm hoping to walk Le Puy next year... have a GREAT walk!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mid-80's over the weekend, cooling to mid-70's mid-week with thunderstorms. You can track weather on your smartphone Weather app, or use WeatherPro or Yr apps.

Yes, this is quite true. But rather than say "Please find me a bed", say "Please call xxx place and ask for a bed". You definitely want to take the demi-pension option if it is available - who wants to miss out on French cooking?
Thanks so much. I have been watching the weather but not really believing it since that seems a lot cooler than the heat wave I hear on the news....It seems that maybe Le Puy is not as affected as say, Paris.

I’ll arrive in Le Puy August 21st and will probably start the 24th (we’ll see how I shake off my jet lag). My second Camino but first time on the Le Puy.

Bon chemin everyone 👣

I am hoping it is not too hot! Last year, around September 20th, it was HOT, something like 35, near the Navarrenx area, I hope it cools down this year, I am continuing starting on September 2nd, the day when all bus schedules seem to change and I am having problems to check timetables, bummer! Looking forward to it, though!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back