• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route water

tangata hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Pamploma (April/May 2014)
VDLP March 2019 Sanabres April 2019
Finisterre/Muxia April 2019
Could those who have walked the Le Puy route comment on water availability. I suspect it is not a problem and readily available en route - is this correct? I understand the Spanish routes will be different so I'm particularly interested in those who have experience of the Le Puy route.

How much do you think I should plan to carry each day?

Would a one litre bottle for drinking be enough?

I've appreciated all the advice and support here on the forum so far. Thank you to those who take the time to respond.
Megg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It rained for thirty straight days in 2012.....water was not a problem....

Water is available from the Gites at night or from shops along the way. There are far fewer shops and bars in France compared to the Camino Frances in Spain.

On the Le Puy I carried two 600ml flasks and that was fine. I do refill whenever possible. Apart from bars, fountains and the odd yard tap, cemeteries always have taps too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Water is readily available ,but I still like to carry enough to last me all day.......One Litre of water would not be enough for me.......I carried 1 litre water + 500 ml water ,never ran out,that was in April/May, if I saw a tap or Bar, I would always top up..........In high Summer I usually carry 500 ml more ,depends on the forecast..........I always carry a couple of oranges,for the extra fluid & Vitamin C..........works for me.................keep smiling..........Vicrev

IMG_7300.jpg IMG_7816.jpg Generally it was fine finding water. Even in more remote places, you might find a water tap that someone has rigged up for passing pilgrims. And in some very small villages/hamlets that barely appear on the map, you might find that someone has set up a place for hot drinks in a barn or garage, sometimes for a donation, and sometimes for a fixed price. It might sound a bit odd, but the cemeteries along the way always have water taps and generally the water from them is perfectly safe to drink as well.

I am like vicrev, and I tended to carry 1500ml with me. There was only one time I ran out. I also walked in April/May, and despite striking snow a few times in the first week of my journey, I struck a very hot day going to Cahors. There was a long stretch when it wasn't possible to get water anywhere, and I had run out. However, that was when some Camino Angels came along. I'd stayed the night before in the convent at Vaylats with a French couple, and it turned out a group of us stopped for lunch together. I didn't stay long and happened to mention as I left that I was nearly out of water. It seems I wasn't the only one. Some locals were also eating there, and they apparently went home and got some fresh cold water. Not long afterwards, I heard this lovely French couple running behind me, in 30C+ heat. They were bringing me some of this lovely cool water. I was incredibly grateful to them. We walked on down to Cahors together, and then I lost sight of them. I never saw them again, and have never had the chance to say how grateful I was.

Margaret

I took half a liter bottle with me, that was sufficient for me. Only if it is extremely hot you might need more. It might be a personal thing too, some people might need more water.
As far as I remember every day you'll pas by bars a few times to refill.
I usually buy half a liter of sportsdrink when I start a camino and keep refilling the bottle the whole way. When I need more then 500ml at any day, I just buy another drink and keep the empty bottle with me just in case, it doesn't weight anything. In this way I never have to think aboiut this subject before I start the camino and I can take flexible amounts.

Don't worry too much before. You'll be fine, you will find out during the first days what is the optimum amount for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Margaret, for reminding me of those great barns & sheds,there is one just out of Conques, I think, from memory, the place was called Praysace ? the person & place is well known in the French walking community & it is a must stop place for them. .....He lives in the one room, with a raised platform, for sleeping, there is a large table with chairs, as you walk in the door & he serves pilgrims soup, bread, cheese,sausage,& the homemade wine is to die for,all donovito & such a lovely man:)............I loved the dogs snoring around my feet & the cats stretched out on top of the sacks of vegies.:eek:..............:).............Vicrev.

It might sound a bit odd, but the cemeteries along the way always have water taps and generally the water from them is perfectly safe to drink as well.
Two times for three people, we got sick after drinking water from a cemetery tap. It is never easy to trace illness to a particular source -- it could be food or another pilgrim -- but it left me suspicious of cemetery water sources. I know the axiom of safe water at cemeteries has been around a long time, but I pass on my experience for your consideration. Bars and village center taps are frequent enough that I stick to using them. I think one liter is too little, but you may not be a big drinker.

- but it left me suspicious of cemetery water sources.
Crikey Falc, there is nothing wrong with the water supply to cemetries in France, it comes from the same source as the public & house taps in the towns & villages,there isn't a separate water source for cemetries, if the water isn't drinkable, it always states,the water quality is tested, on a regular basis..........been drinking water from cemetery taps for years,no nasty reactions whatsoever.......slept in a few as well.............keep smiling............Vicrev

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your comments everyone, as always, very helpful. I'll definitely carry a litre and probably 1.5 litres. Lovely story Margaret, people are often very kind and thoughtful as many stories on the forum attest.
Megg

I ran out of water getting to LePuy and a lady watering her garden topped us off. Never ran short on the trail.

1.5 liters weighs 1500 grams. A steripen or Sawyer mini filter weighs 150 grams. I'd go with minimal water and a filter foremergencies.

Walking in September both times, it was really hot - in the 30's C. I Followed Gitti's advice and drank a liter of water before getting underway in the morning, and I carried 1.5 liters (sometimes 2) in my 2 liter Platypus. In addition to the Platypus, I carry an empty plastic water bottle, to be able to take advantage of passing taps, pique-nique pitchers, or gardeners' water hoses. I was glad of the predictable water of cemeteries, and never experienced an issue myself.

But I did hear a rumor that it was the law in France, that if a stranger knocks at your door and asks for water, you must provide. I passed thru several hamlets that had signs up, to the effect that, "Water is available on the far side of town, please do not disturb the householders here." Perhaps someone can confirm/deny this rumor?

And that stretch from Vaylats to Cahors is a true beast!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Water is everywhere!
Seems you are mostly right futurefjp but as one person who has posted above your response has said she did run out on one stretch while carrying 1.5l so perhaps its not quite everywhere as you suggest.
However, I'm glad I asked the question even if your response does make me feel a little stupid, but maybe that was not intended.
Megg

What I meant is you would never suddenly find there was no water. If you knock at any door, as long as they're in, and they will provide you with water(and other goodies too). There are a few long stretches without a faucet but I found two one litre flasks always adequate.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What I meant is you would never suddenly find there was no water. If you knock at any door, as long as they're in, and they will provide you with water(and other goodies too). There are a few long stretches without a faucet but I found two one litre flasks always adequate.
that is helpful, thank you

I started with 2 x 600 and eventually dropped down to 1 x 600 and say 200 mill just in case - make sure your public water taps are marked "Eau Potable".

Stewart

I started with 2 x 600 and eventually dropped down to 1 x 600 and say 200 mill just in case - make sure your public water taps are marked "Eau Potable".

Stewart
I got the 'shits' as a result of drinking from a pipe not a tap!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walking in September both times, it was really hot - in the 30's C. I Followed Gitti's advice and drank a liter of water before getting underway in the morning, and I carried 1.5 liters (sometimes 2) in my 2 liter Platypus. In addition to the Platypus, I carry an empty plastic water bottle, to be able to take advantage of passing taps, pique-nique pitchers, or gardeners' water hoses. I was glad of the predictable water of cemeteries, and never experienced an issue myself.

But I did hear a rumor that it was the law in France, that if a stranger knocks at your door and asks for water, you must provide. I passed thru several hamlets that had signs up, to the effect that, "Water is available on the far side of town, please do not disturb the householders here." Perhaps someone can confirm/deny this rumor?

And that stretch from Vaylats to Cahors is a true beast!

Hi what do you mean when you say................. And that stretch from Vaylats to Cahors is a true beast????

I've done that stretch twice. The first time i t was 33 degrees. The second half of this day is all but treeless and that combined with heat and sandy soil and some hiking alongside large highways and the interminable steep descent into Cahors on a paved road made the day a complete nightmare. I took the entire next day off.

Was dreading it the second time but cooler temperatures and a few friendly clouds made a huge difference. Not the prettiest day, still a long stretch in that scubby undergrowth that can't manage growing high enough to provide shade. But even the dreaded descent was ok. Upon completion I felt I'd exorcized the demon I'd encountered the first time.

Bill, that was just the sort of day I encountered on that stretch in 2008- I was so relieved to arrive at that little pilgrim place there was on the bridge entering town. There they had some fresh cool water and a bit of shade to shelter in, along with a very warm welcome. I remember we met someone heading uphill on that steep stretch in those conditions. We tried to convince her she was actually going the wrong way, but she wouldn't listen. I hate to think how exhausted she ended up being in that heat.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back