• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy - SDC Credencial

Jim_Hyde

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Le Puy - Navarrenx April/May 2018 Planning to walk RLS Trail & GR78 Carcassonne - SJPDP 2020
I am planning to walk from Le Puy to SDC in April - June 2018, taking around 62 - 67 days. I understand the credencial only has room for 56 stamps do I need to get 2 credencial to fit all the stamps or will they all fit on a single document.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am planning to walk from Le Puy to SDC in April - June 2018, taking around 62 - 67 days. I understand the credencial only has room for 56 stamps do I need to get 2 credencial to fit all the stamps or will they all fit on a single document.
You can get two, or just add a blank sheet of paper. Either will work with the Pilgrim Office. Remember two sellos a day after Sarria.

We're walking from Lake Geneva to Santiago de Compostella, from 10 June to 30 October.
We have already bought 2 credenciales each, but we'll have to buy more on our way, as we reckon we'll need 4 each.
So a technical question:
The first credential gets stamped in the large box on the first page of stamps at your departure point. Do we need to get subsequent credenciales stamped in that large box, or can we use this box for normal stamps?
Buen Camino
Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@AJGuillaume I was told at the church in Pontferrada, where I bought a new credential, that I should start each credential as if it was new, and fill in the first page with a new "starting point" stamp. But I did not like that, because as far as I was concerned there was only one starting point, the first. So I preferred to glue that page to the back of my old credential making it one long continuous book. And it was fine when I presented it in the Pilgrims Office. Your last stamp - i.e. from the Pilgrims Office of the Cathedral in Santiago, also goes on the first page under "Cumplió la peregrinación" . Don't let anyone put a stamp there as it means you have finished your pilgrimage.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The nuns will sell you a credencial in the cathedral shop, if Le Puy then do climb up to the Chapelle St. Michel d'Aiguilhe, as well as the Statue de Notre Dame de France-a bit like climbing into a ship's hold but do it, while the Cloisters of the Cathedrale du Puy-en-Velay are not Vézelay but are a pleasant reminder.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm with @Kanga on this.

I started at Le Puy in April 2016 and my first credencial showed this.

I suffered an injury and retired hurt at Estella / Lizarra.

As my first credencial was almost full, and had some sello as I tried to continue after Estella, i decided to get a second credencial and returned to Estella in October 2017.

The hospitalera there filled in the first page showing Estella as the start point.

At Santiago it was all irrelevant.

For the Compostellana the focus was only on:
"Did I walk all the way from Sarria?"

For the certificate of distance requested five days later using the same two credencials no questions were asked.

So, while I agree with @Kanga , we can rationalise the second credencial as starting the day of the first stamp.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

When you first credencial is (nearly) full, just get a new one - lots of places have them ;-) Bon Chemin, SY

We met a woman who was walking from her home in Germany to Santiago de Compostela, at the rate of 2 weeks a year in her annual holidays. When we met her in southern France she had a credencial that was about 2 metres long by then, quite a sight when she unfolded it, with someone at each end holding it- she was expecting to walk into the cathedral on 27 August this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My son and I filled two credencials each from Roncesvalles to Finisterre. When it was obvious that one wouldn't be enough I got us each another one in Leon. It was stamped in Leon above our personal info but we didn't start using it until Pereje where they stamped first stamp in the regular space. In Santiago they put a completion stamp in both.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back