• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy - SJPP - Santiago de Compostela

vlogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Various
I intent to walk, Le Puy -SJPP-Santiago in approx. 50 days, from May 23- July 13 2015. Any suggestions.
vlogan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I intent to walk, Le Puy -SJPP-Santiago in approx. 50 days, from May 23- July 13 2015. Any suggestions.
vlogan

Seeing we are in the racing carnival here in Melbourne you have the odds of 50/1.
Payable only in beer at Muxia which you would reach by bus..
The start is very different from Camino Frances and unless you camp out allowing you to reach the required daily distances thus you have no hope.
Thus extra luggage,
The towns are not like Spain....often closed , pensions and gites not open till mid or late afternoon etc etc.

Make that 100/1 Voigan and you can pay in Arzua the day before you walk into Santiago.

Last edited:
Took us nearly that long to walk the Frances, but then we were not in a hurry. Don't try and do too much in the time you have.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree you will need more time. One option is to start and take a bus for a/ some sections. We did that this year on Le Puy to SJPP when we were running short of time. We did meet quite a few very despondent pilgrims along the way who had been pushing themselves very hard (very long days or walking very fast) and were suffering problems with their feet and knees that were likely to stop their camino right there. You need to work with your body, how far each day and how fast differs for everyone - but I would hate you to have that same sad and worried look on your face that we saw on those pilgrims.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

The first bit from Le Puy is more difficult than the CF, every morning a good climb to get going, every evening a drop back down to civilization. Often few villages or towns in between and as mentioned as mentioned, few shops or cafe/bars, even a boulangerie is hard to find, now called pan depot, the baguettes trucked in. It is a wonderful fascinating Camino but requires a bit more planning and forethought, take the Miam Miam guide for sure, don't miss the Cele Valley detour, a true highlight. And do stay with Serge in Cahors, Relais Jacobins albergue and with Rom and Aideen in Mossiac, Ultreia albergue both unforgettable experiences,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you asking how to do it? Or asking for comments on your intention? They are different. If you are asking how to do it you have the answer - by being a very fast fit walker or going some of the way by bike or bus or other mechanised transport.

I would be sadder than sad to do either. There is nothing I would bypass on either route to catch a bus. Or to rush along at runners pace (even if I could) and miss the opportunities to make friends, to see, to ponder, to experience.

For me getting from Le Puy to Santiago is not a tick on a bucket list.

I have walked Le Puy to SJPDP, and SJPDP to Santiago, taking about 5 weeks each (different years). Le Puy to SJPDP is beautiful, the little river towns along the way are gems of history and culture, the landscape, the food, the people, aaaah - deep France, "La belle"... And the Camino Frances? Iconic, mesmerising, moving, magic. A special place.

But that is me.

Hi Vlogan, I don't know which, if any, Camino you have done in the past. The Frances Camino in Spain usually take about a month to complete. 2 years ago, I walked from geneva to Le Puy, then to SJPP, then to Santiago. Total time... about 11.5 weeks. It took 2 weeks to walk to Le Puy from Geneva. So... 9.5 weeks, it would take me to walk to Santiago from Le Puy! And what a wonderful walk...

But, it is much more strenuous than the Camino in Spain. Fabulous, but tiring. And France was/is about 50% more expensive to walk through that Spain - that's what I found. Yes, as other poster here have mentioned, there are many religious holidays when shops are closed. But don't be put off by that. You can always call ahead and book a place (which I often did). And the scenery, towns, and churches are gorgeous.

So... the question is - why are you in such a hurry? Can you get a bit more time to do it properly? If not, I think your time frame is too tight. Maybe start somewhere else?

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back