• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Cahors in mid March

nalod

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Hello I have done from Cahors to St Jpdp and on to Bilbao in last Aug Sep. Is it possible weather and Gite wise to do Le Puy to Cahors around 12th march.

Help Please.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nalod said:
Hello I have done from Cahors to St Jpdp and on to Bilbao in last Aug Sep. Is it possible weather and Gite wise to do Le Puy to Cahors around 12th march. Help Please.
You could find it rather tricky on the first section between Le Puy and St Chely d-Aubrac. Many of the gîtes don't open until Easter. Plus, you spend time at around 1100-1300m altitude several times in the first week or so. You might find the Aubrac Plateau (with a pass at 1300m) is pretty much impassable with snow still- though I have no idea what kind of season they have had there so far this year. I started from Le Puy mid-April in 2008, and struck light snow twice in the first week. But I remember reading two blogs by people who tried to start a little earlier- one had a magnificent photo of the snow he had to find a route through over the Aubrac Plateau- it was very thick- and the other person simply was unable to start because of the weather conditions. Personally, I wouldn't try and start before Easter.
Margaret

PS Just found one of the blogs I was thinking of- by sagalouts, who started at the end of March. He wrote: "the next day april the first was no joke the walk through monistrol to savage snow ice walk alone camera not working too cold to function." And you can see how much snow he struck on the Aubrac Plateau here http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com/2010/04/let-pictures-teel-story.html Actually at least he had blue skies: I struck so much fog across the second part of the Aubrac Plateau I lost all visibility!

Thank you KiwiNomad, your making me interested. Done Frances April last year also and on to Finnesterre. Was initally going to do Via de la Plata staring 7th March, but now will prob go to Switzerland for a few days on 7th March to meet a Camino friend so the two weeks of Le Puy would be nearer. I also have no French. A challange?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do speak some French and it was definitely helpful. However, other people who don't speak French seem to find ways around it. Other pilgrims or gîte owners or people in tourist offices are usually very helpful, and will do things like ring up to book accommodation for you. One South African woman I met had a mobile phone and would work out from the Miam Miam Dodo where she thought she might like to stay next, and she always found an obliging French pilgrim nearby who would ring up for her.
Margaret

I agree with the others that it will be too cold. It could be warm enouh in the Cahors area in March - the weather is extremely changeable in March and could be either very cold or quite warm.

I suspect the earlier you walk, the fewer non-French speakers will be walking with you. In fact, the fewer other walkers in general you will find. You have some time ... get cracking with the phrasebook basics!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello again plan changed, now starting Via de La Plata around next weekend 18th Feb, cheers everyone and thanks for your help.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back