• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

le puy to cahors info request

aline365

Time of past OR future Camino
Fances, portuges
We are planning to walk from Le Puy to Cahors or Figeac. We need to delete 15-25KM and looking for suggestions for a section/sections to skip.
Thanks
Mark

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd say the stretch from Conques to Figeac is what I'd eliminate.

As between the places you mention, I'd hate to arrive in Figeac and not linger a bit. Arriving in Cahors and heading right to the train station wouldn't be hard.

And a second thought: nothing is worse than the last few hours heading into Cahors. Tarmac, scrub for shade, a section near large roadways, and then a nasty steep descent.

Last edited:
I'd suggest the very first part. Don't start at Le Puy but Monestrol d'Allier. You'll have a nice walk out of the gorges first thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Aline,
We walked Le Puy to SJPP last September and I made a note in my blog that the 2 days between Figeac/Limogne en Quercy/La Pech were 2 days that could be skipped if needed. Lots of similar stretches of shady lanes that go on for km and kms with enough rocky sections to drive your feet crazy. I loved Cahors so would encourage you not to miss it unless you don't like cities.
Bon Chemin

The morning leaving Conques is memorable; everything else is, well, downhill (in more ways than one!). From that morning onwards, you can take a hop in the bag-transport vehicles over almost any length that works for your schedule. Make your hop on a day when the local shops/services are closed. The landscape is mostly karst (limestone scrublands) in that area, so you're not missing anything much. The Cele variant is better - but it sounds as though your schedule doesn't support that. I concur with the positive remarks on Cahors; you'll want a half day to explore the cathedral and old town area.

We are planning to walk from Le Puy to Cahors or Figeac. We need to delete 15-25KM and looking for suggestions for a section/sections to skip.
Thanks
Mark
Definitely Le Puy to Livinhac Le Haut.
The first 1.5 hours out of Conques are a magical steep climb after that there is lots of road walking and eventually suburbs. The least pleasant day on the entire Le Puy Route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Aline,
We walked Le Puy to SJPP last September and I made a note in my blog that the 2 days between Figeac/Limogne en Quercy/La Pech were 2 days that could be skipped if needed. Lots of similar stretches of shady lanes that go on for km and kms with enough rocky sections to drive your feet crazy. I loved Cahors so would encourage you not to miss it unless you don't like cities.
Bon Chemin
Funny. I loved the bit between Limogne and Cahors through stunted oak forest and lanes framed by mossy rock walls....

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back